it took 20yrs last time

godd2

While I agree that patience is key as a Nebraska fan right now, I also believe that a little bit of caution should be shown.

I was in early high-school during the "dominance" of the 90's, so I remember what it was like.

And though we will likely never again achieve the long-term dominance of the TO era, I can't help but be a little bit scared.

I'm not a Solich-apologist. However, the minute that Nebraska's history (Nebraska-players/assistants...became Nebraska coaches) was "out-sourced", I lost some of what made me proud to be a born-and-bred Nebraska Cornhusker fan.

Oh, that's right...we're now known as the Nebraska Huskers (thanks S.P).

I just look at all the changes that have taken place since the coaching switch. The infrastructure updates were awesome...and I thank SP for that. However, what's with our new mascot? What happened to the Cornhuskers?

And while I KNOW that we can not judge our current status by one lackluster performance against the #1 team in the country...I also know that silence, apathy and too much trust in our AD and coaches could land us right in the spot where Notre Dame is.

Does anyone here think their fan-base saw this ridiculous downswing coming?

Sorry to be "hatin'", but seriously. :rant

As I said above, I'm much prefer comparing NU to the BEST teams and the games where someone EXCELLED in a surprising way.

The reason I mentioned this is the LOSE of perspective from some comments. As gut-wrenching as this loss was, it was NOT the most embarrasing loss of the YEAR or even the most embarassing loss of the WEEK!

While I agree that patience is key as a Nebraska fan right now, I also believe that a little bit of caution should be shown.

I was in early high-school during the "dominance" of the 90's, so I remember what it was like.

And though we will likely never again achieve the long-term dominance of the TO era, I can't help but be a little bit scared.

I'm not a Solich-apologist. However, the minute that Nebraska's history (Nebraska-players/assistants...became Nebraska coaches) was "out-sourced", I lost some of what made me proud to be a born-and-bred Nebraska Cornhusker fan.

Oh, that's right...we're now known as the Nebraska Huskers (thanks S.P).

I just look at all the changes that have taken place since the coaching switch. The infrastructure updates were awesome...and I thank SP for that. However, what's with our new mascot? What happened to the Cornhuskers?

And while I KNOW that we can not judge our current status by one lackluster performance against the #1 team in the country...I also know that silence, apathy and too much trust in our AD and coaches could land us right in the spot where Notre Dame is.

Does anyone here think their fan-base saw this ridiculous downswing coming?

Sorry to be "hatin'", but seriously. :rant

Just FTR, Bill Byrne took the "corn" out of "Cornhuskers", not SP.

Bob Stoops got it done pretty quickly....

Does that mean Bob Stoops would have got it done in the same amount of time in this situation? Does it really matter what certain coaches did (good or bad) for other programs in different situations?

Ummm...that's kinda what this thread is about.

Just FTR, Bill Byrne took the "corn" out of "Cornhuskers", not SP.

Really? Apologies. I thought I remembered hearing, soon after the coaching change, that SP had changed us to just "Huskers." Maybe I'm just grouping all the blame on SP due to him changing our Herbie Husker mascot into a creepy, child-molester-esque freak wearing wranglers way too tight for his or our own good.

I still dig Lil' Red, though.

In short, I don't like our new mascot.

Really? Apologies. I thought I remembered hearing, soon after the coaching change, that SP had changed us to just "Huskers." Maybe I'm just grouping all the blame on SP due to him changing our Herbie Husker mascot into a creepy, child-molester-esque freak wearing wranglers way too tight for his or our own good.

I still dig Lil' Red, though.

In short, I don't like our new mascot.

No apology needed, it was actually done in the mid-90s very quietly. There was never an official announcement or anything. Kind of strange that it worked that way too, there's usually some level of freak-out involved anytime the slightest change is made to the football program.