Callahan press conference comments

Omahusker

For the most part Callahan said the things he should have said. They got the entire team together to watch the film so they all would be on the same page as far as what needs to be done. They will be going 1's vs. 1's at practice this week which they usually don't do. And all jobs are up for grabs this week, moreso than they usually are.

But what I didn't like is his answer to what he said to Coz after the game. "Keep your head up, we'll get it fixed" he went on to explain that Coz was hurt after that performance and no one feels worse than him. Coz is upset after that performance? No kidding? How about embarrased or humiliated?

Granted some things aren't for public consumption, but I hoped to hear some more emotion after how pathetic the defense looked Saturday.

For the most part Callahan said the things he should have said. They got the entire team together to watch the film so they all would be on the same page as far as what needs to be done. They will be going 1's vs. 1's at practice this week which they usually don't do. And all jobs are up for grabs this week, moreso than they usually are.

But what I didn't like is his answer to what he said to Coz after the game. "Keep your head up, we'll get it fixed" he went on to explain that Coz was hurt after that performance and no one feels worse than him. Coz is upset after that performance? No kidding? How about embarrased or humiliated?

Granted some things aren't for public consumption, but I hoped to hear some more emotion after how pathetic the defense looked Saturday.

He might of let him have it, you never know. That makes me feel so much better now that jobs are up for grabs. Ruud and Mckeon might not be starting on saturday.

well, seems like cally is copying Charlie Weiss of ND. if you read any articles regarding their pathetic performances, he (Weiss) announced earlier that he was doing the same things.

just maybe these 2 coaches practiced to avoid injury in the pre season to a fault? who knows?

we had a lot of guys get hurt in pre season works before, so damn if you do and damn if you don't.

He might of let him have it, you never know. That makes me feel so much better now that jobs are up for grabs. Ruud and Mckeon might not be starting on saturday.

so weren't the jobs up for grabs in fall camp? or are the coaches saying once the starters were named, they just sat on their butts? either way, this whole drill sure can't hurt anything.

well, seems like cally is copying Charlie Weiss of ND. if you read any articles regarding their pathetic performances, he (Weiss) announced earlier that he was doing the same things.

Really? I'd imagine they do things a tad differently. Different personalities. One is stone cold. "I won't name the starting QB until game day so Georgia Tech can't prepare for it...not that it matters," and "Jimmy Clausen is our Chosen One, he's just being held back by an injury that I know he has but won't tell the media, who cares about what Demetrius Jones thinks?"

There is no point in humiliating Coz in public, especially as a head coach. If you want any hope of him doing his job better in the coming weeks, that is not the way. Overall after I've given the matter some more thought, I am left with the question of how much can you blame him for players being out of position and missing tackles? Yes, I realize it is his duty to teach these fundamentals, but we've been naming the same names for years now with regard to the tackling thing. It isn't like every player on the team can't tackle, but when we get to Ruud, especially, his name has a light over it. Is that Coz's fault? I guess what I'm trying to say is that you can throw a lot of blame on players and coaches alike, and that's probably more accurate than pointing to one or the other. It takes two to suck, sometimes, and when the game began I had the notion that our guys were going for big plays, not small victories. I don't think that's what Coz had in mind.

I'm not sticking up for the guy––not in the least. If he was fired, I would probably say nothing about it. But I'm interested to see what he can do with a more experienced line and an LB corps that can tackle a ball carrier.

Who would ever want to work for callahan if he would throw his assistants. That is a pure Kst move. Ron Prince made his assistants run stairs don't think people will be lining up with resumes for those jobs.

Exactly. For those wanting Coz gone (either now or at the end of the season), Callahan's "non-statement" should be just what is wanted. While there might be some young, hungry guys out there dying to be a defensive coordinator at Nebraska, there sure as hell won't be any "name" guys wanting it if they know the head coach is going to publicly rip on them.

Who would ever want to work for callahan if he would throw his assistants. That is a pure Kst move. Ron Prince made his assistants run stairs don't think people will be lining up with resumes for those jobs.

Exactly. For those wanting Coz gone (either now or at the end of the season), Callahan's "non-statement" should be just what is wanted. While there might be some young, hungry guys out there dying to be a defensive coordinator at Nebraska, there sure as hell won't be any "name" guys wanting it if they know the head coach is going to publicly rip on them.

Great point.