Honest Question for the Board Members

HuskerBCS

I'm not the AD and my opinion won't contribute one way or another to the end result of the coaching staff, so I keep my mouth shut about that.

I do say however, there is an obvious need for change, and something needs to be done. It can't be ignored anymore. Whether that means firing people, kicking people asses into gear, or playing new people I don't know, but it needs to be figured out, and soon.

I keep reading post after post stating that we should fire Coz because he cannot coach and our defense is terrible. Then I read other posts that say Cally should not be fired because the Offense is doing really well and we are recruiting well. Im just curious how people can think our offense is really playing well. When I watch the game I see an offense that cannot run the football (see 300+ rushing yards against Nevada and then a COMBO around 300 rushing yards the next 3 games), and an offensive line that doesnt protect the quarterback or run block. Then on defense I see a terrible defensive line and very OVERRATED linebackers. I guess what Im asking is how can people think our offense is playing well when we are completely one demensional. To me they are not much better than the defense and good opposing defenses will show that. Sorry for the rant, just wanna hear what everyone thinks.

I agree that the offense is also poorly coached, has bad fundamental execution and is one-dimensional against decent competition. Yet, there is enough talant there --- keller is quite good, our backs are better than most think (certainly better than average), our receivers are also slightly above average, and the West Coast Offensce is difficult to prepare for and defend even if executed only reasonably well. So, the offense has been modestly productive. Some of the statistical productivity is deceptive because we played Nevada ( a weak defensive team) and Ball State (a really weak defensive team), Wake Forest (a decent defensive team) and the USC defense in clean-up time in a blowout. Against such defensive units it is not suprising that the offense has some decent numbers.

Overall, the offense is likely to struggle and end up being less productive as we go into the B12. They will need to score in upwards of 35 pts per game to expect to win against such as Missouri, Oklahoma State, Texas, Texas Tech and Colorado --- as each of those teams will score at least 35 points on our defense (or more, perhaps much, much more --- unless our defense improves). This is very, very unlikely.

Unless the defense really steps up, every game will be a shoot-out. Is the NU offense OK? Yeah. maybe even pretty good. Can it prevail in a shootout and score continually to keep up with the scoring of our opponents? Probally not.

Its obvious that the offense became one-dimensional against Ball St.

Why? Because we were in a shoot-out? ... NO. We passed because our rushing game was almost non-existant.

If the running game was reliable, then NU should have run and CONTROL THE CLOCK! In the past (the good old days), when we encountered a great passing team, the running game would eat up the clock and either score or put them deep in their territory. Of course, we could count on slowing or stopping the pass eventually; something we can't do now.

The only real problem on offense right now is the inconsistent play of the offensive line, especially with run blocking. Of course, the offensive line is the root of all goodness and evil for an offense, so it causes problems when it breaks down. That's the main thing that forces us into the "one dimensional" offensive look. If they can manage to bring up the O-line's play even somewhat, we'll consistently put up big points against conference teams. Right now that is something of a big if, though, I agree.