Icing the kicker

TheKiD

I think a lot depends on timing...one great example of icing the kicker was the Denver Broncos game against Oakland. Janikowski is all ready to kick the game winner (something like a high-40 to low-50 yard kick) ball is snapped and kick is good for the Oakland win....However, Denver called a timeout just before the snap. Next kick goes off the upright and Broncos win in overtime.

Maybe that is just pure luck and nothing to do with a timeout but in some scenarios it does seem it to work.

I think Iceing works, it worked today.

Icing implies getting into a player's head and making them fail....like a 40 yard field goal. A 55 yard field goal is made about 20% of the time in college and that player might not even have 1 so it's not really considered icing. And statistically it doesn't work.

Having said that it doesn't matter....he missed so you can't second guess it.

Err, I'm pretty sure it was 48 yards and 27 seconds left on the clock... There was 17 left when we got the ball back after the kickoff.... am I wrong?

EDIT: Nevermind i guess it was 55yards.. but their kicker was capable of making 60+ anyway.. but i'm still fairly sure it was 27 seconds left before they kicked the field goal.

I remember it well, it was only 17 sec... and only 12 sec remained after the errant kick.

Apparently the BSU kicker made a 65 yarder in practice this past week.

I remember that being asked of Callahan last year. His reply was that he wasnt icing the kicker, but letting the block unit get as much rest as possible.

I seriously wonder if he says that stuff just to see if someone will print it. I know I might do stuff like that if I was a coach.

Seriously, I guess I could take that depending on how much of your block unit is based on your defensive players.

Let's not start a flame war. K. Thanks.

Sorry Dave. Its been a sh**ty day

I think MODS will let you flame me.....just make sure you put

"Callahan has us going in the right direction" before you say "youre a moron,no nothing idiot that doesn't know anything so just go away I Bleed Red"

That typically will get being a FLAMER overlooked.