Not being negative

But after a quick search, no NCAA team has ever won the National Championship with the West Coast Offense. I am not saying it will never happened but just wondering why, or why does Callahan think it will work? Even though the offense is doing really good they are not great IMO

I don't know, I suppose you'd have to ask him that. But if we had consistent play from our offensive line and could run the ball consistently, our offense would be a threat to almost any team. Couple that with a highly ranked defense and we could probably hang with any team in the country.

Now, that's a couple big if's, but really, the inconsistency of the O-Line is about all that's holding this offense back. We could probably use better athletes at the skill positions sometimes, but we've done well with what we've got.

The defense, well, obviously that isn't going to happen anytime soon.

First, the west-coast offense just hasn't been tried that much at the college level...

Second, defense is really what separates the national title contenders from the next, say 20 teams...

think about...how many high-powered offenses can you name off the top of your head...probably 3-4 from each BCS conference (plus the Hawaiis and Boise States)...quick, how many shutdown defenses can you name?...4 in the whole country maybe...i think the talent level required to be a complete defense is much higher than whats required to put together an explosive offense...

Yeah, I think the offense has improved over the last few years and will keep improving. Maybe the WCO won't end up fully working out here, I'm not sure. Right now I think it's progressing fine, but our O-Line does need some work. I'm interested to see how they do through the rest of the season, because I do think they'll improve their execution and allow us to run with more confidence.

The defense is just bleh at the moment.

I would also add to this that no NCAA team has had Bill Callahan as a coach/recruiter and a primary offensive strategist. I know a lot of people detest the man, think he's a lousy coach and a worse playcaller, but from how I've heard him speak, other coaches' reactions to him, I hold the hope that we may see an unimaginable team emerge under him someday. But like others have been saying here, the defense is really the problem. We don't create a lot of intesity on D, but even still Keller and Co. keep coming back. I wonder what they could be like with a monster D backing them up. (I actually like his playcalling, too).

Pure speculation, call it a hunch, but until further notice, that's where I stand.

X

There are different versions of the WCO. Maybe a different version would work. Maybe Cally could make it a little less complexed, less options, less verbage. He could do that. He could try. If his players are trying. But will he? Doubt it that he'll bend.

I prefer the balance attack with the option to pass more if needed, run more when necessary. Anyway, the discussion on the WCO is out there in past threads. I'm guessing that's where this is heading.