Match never in doubt as Huskers sweep Baylor

Match never in doubt as Huskers sweep Baylor

By LINCOLN ARNEAL / For the Lincoln Journal Star

Saturday, Sep 29, 2007 - 10:29:57 pm CDT

In the world of Nebraska volleyball, it’s easy to become impervious to dominating performances.

Yet, the effort the top-ranked Huskers put together Saturday night against Baylor was impressive by anyone’s standards.

NU finished with a .500 hitting percentage, the 12th highest in school history, while limiting the Bears’ attack to a .064 clip, the lowest for a Husker opponent this season. Nebraska finished the match with a 30-15, 30-12, 30-13 victory in front of 4,068 fans at the NU Coliseum.

“After Wednesday, they wanted to come out and play well tonight. Even though we won fairly easy at Kansas we didn’t feel good about the way we played,” NU coach John Cook said. “For this group, they know the level they can crank it up to. They have fun then they do it. If they want to have fun they know they have to play well.”

The dissatisfaction after the Kansas match led to a players’ meeting Saturday and judging by the results, the message of performing at a high level got across loud and clear.

“We’ve been winning and our stats have been good, but we’ve been complacent with our play,” said senior outside hitter Christina Houghtelling. “We were determined to go out and play Nebraska volleyball. We wear these jerseys for a reason. We played today like we train, hit our shots, and it turned out really well.”

Nebraska (12-0, 5-0 Big 12) was also sparked by the return of sophomore middle blocker Kori Cooper, who missed the last two matches with a viral infection.

Even though Cooper said Amanda Gates filled in admirably, the Amarillo, Texas, native exerted her will on the match early and often. Cooper tied her career high with 12 kills on just 17 swings, for a ridiculous .706 hitting percentage. Cooper also added four stuffs.

Cooper said sitting out allowed her to fully recover, but also made her more eager to get back on the court to prove herself.

“It’s nice and a good feeling to have a good match, but I expected to play well for myself and my teammates,” Cooper said.

Besides Cooper, the other four Nebraska starters all hit higher than .462.

At the center of the Huskers’ attack was All-American Rachel Holloway. The setter tallied 39 set assists, including 15 in each of the first two games.

“You saw a great setter tonight,” Cook said. “I don’t know how good (Nebraska quarterback) Sam Keller was today, but Holloway was an A-plus tonight.”

The Huskers’ offensive prowess countered a normally stout Baylor defense. The Bears entered the match leading the Big 12 in digs per game with 17.32 and was second with 3.12 blocks per game. On Saturday, Baylor (8-8, 1-5) finished with just 23 digs and three blocks for the match.

Reigning Big 12 defensive player of the week Anna Breyfogle, who averaged 7.6 blocks during her last three matches, was limited to just two.

It wasn’t like Nebraska was shying away from Bregfoyle, either.

On back-to-back plays in the second game, Tracy Stalls and Jordan Larson each swung away at the middle of the Bears’ defense and notched kills.

“Holloway did a great job of keeping their blockers on their heels,” Cooper said. “To be able to get a kill from anywhere on the court is key.”

Add in nine NU ace serves, while not giving up an ace to Baylor, and the Huskers were hard-pressed to find an area in which they failed to perform at a high level. Every Nebraska player saw the court, and freshman Tara Mueller doubled her career total with four kills on just eight swings.

“I think everyone is going to be happy after tonight’s match,” Houghtelling said. “There wasn’t anything we weren’t our ready to get. I think we were pretty dominant tonight.”

These girls are the real deal. I almost feel sorry for them...No one can even remotely challenge them. UCLA tried, almost as an afterthought, and they were decimated.

If there is an equal to the mid-90's Nebraska Football team...this Volleyball team is the answer. Completely unstoppable. It is great to see.

Continue to dominate, Huskers! :hellloooo