Nebraska's Dead

It's the fourth quarter and I'm sitting here perfectly calm, almost detached. I'm not really upset, even, about the loss––I don't get upset for long. At first, yeah, I was really getting emotional, but my mind takes over and it quickly abates, leaving me in a position to discern where we are and what the most logical steps need to be.

Look, basically everything Bugeater infers is confirmed. I don't like the guy––I don't think many people do––but even in his infantile one-liner posts he's got something right. There is just too much Rose-colored vision impairing Husker Nation right now. So, now having my hopes for this season and our program's future thoroughly crushed and irrefutably so, I will now attempt to open a REAL discussion about our future. This is where Bugeater and I differ––I will attempt to discuss instead of malign (although I imagine there will be plenty of bile in this one).

Callahan is now in his fourth season. The stats are well known. We have basically no wins of value, and despite all the opportunities granted us, our program is now a vast, sinking ship. "Not even God could sink this ship" is the famous line attributed to the Titanic. Very much like it is the mentality of Huskers. Nothing could happen to ruin our program, but guess what, it has. If only, if only, if only––if only the captain had listened to the warnings, "Ice ahead," he might have saved the ship. I don't know where we are, figurativley speaking, but it might not be too late to save ourselves. We just have to fess up to the warning signs and I mean right the f#*k now.

1) Our defense is bar none the worst I have ever seen in college football. Granted, I'm not a long-time fan of this great sport, but I have tried to learn quickly, and have studied the defenses of USC, LSU, and the former years of Husker dominance. In any case, look at the scoreboard against Ball State and Mizzou if you need any further evidence. There is NO emotion, NO scheme, and NO adjustments which can bring us back into it. Everyone is out of position, there is no pass rush, and our secondary even with 16 guys dropped back and a one-midget rush can STILL not defend the pass.

2) The offense, people, listen to me and listen good. The offense is a myth. We have created the myth of Keller and the offense in order to deceive ourselves into believing that this team has a hope. It just is not true. We have ABSOLUTELY NO RUNNING GAME, and in the passing game, a good portion of the passes are dropped, underthrown, overthrown, or just plain thrown away. At best they are mediocre, and in reality they are a lower-end Big XII North offense.

3) Coaching. Bad play calling, bad play calling, and more bad play calling. The players look dazed and confused, like they are in a cloud of an over-complicated scheme. This is not the pros, people. We can't expect NFL effort or ability. Even if we have 4-5 good draft picks, there's still the rest of the team to consider. And on Defense, I just have nothing to say. Cosgrove's record and performance speaks for him better than I ever could.

Now, I don't want this to turn into a whining Sollich-fest. I don't know whether or not it was a good idea to fire him. At this point it's so irrelevant that if there is an ounce of brain within any of you, you won't speak his name again. That horse is dead, rotted, and forgotten. What we need to do now is enter into a very serious and thoughtful discussion about what options are open to us. I will reserve my opinion at this point, as I would have to research it more. But for those of you who have an idea, I'm all ears. Make it rational, make it real. I'm listening.

If there are any of you Callahaners left, I'm not attacking you for your opinion, but please, let's be honest with ourselves. Nebraska is a team on life support, and by the end of the season our sellout streak will likely be broken. I don't like it any better than you do, but I'll take my chances with a revolving door than surrender all together.

NEVER SAY DIE!

X

The Huskers right now are as good as they will get. Cally is a fraud but Pederson is the real culprit starting the demise of Husker football. What we watched today wasn't Husker football, it was Callahan football and it sucks. How long will we put up with it? I say it's time to clean house from the Athletic Director through our coaches. Keep Cally and mediocrity is what we will have in Lincoln for years to come. The big question is will Tom Osbourne fill the A.D. roll and get us back on track. We are officailly a joke and I ain't laughing.

It's the fourth quarter and I'm sitting here perfectly calm, almost detached. I'm not really upset, even, about the loss––I don't get upset for long. At first, yeah, I was really getting emotional, but my mind takes over and it quickly abates, leaving me in a position to discern where we are and what the most logical steps need to be.

Look, basically everything Bugeater infers is confirmed. I don't like the guy––I don't think many people do––but even in his infantile one-liner posts he's got something right. There is just too much Rose-colored vision impairing Husker Nation right now. So, now having my hopes for this season and our program's future thoroughly crushed and irrefutably so, I will now attempt to open a REAL discussion about our future. This is where Bugeater and I differ––I will attempt to discuss instead of malign (although I imagine there will be plenty of bile in this one).

Callahan is now in his fourth season. The stats are well known. We have basically no wins of value, and despite all the opportunities granted us, our program is now a vast, sinking ship. "Not even God could sink this ship" is the famous line attributed to the Titanic. Very much like it is the mentality of Huskers. Nothing could happen to ruin our program, but guess what, it has. If only, if only, if only––if only the captain had listened to the warnings, "Ice ahead," he might have saved the ship. I don't know where we are, figuratively speaking, but it might not be too late to save ourselves. We just have to fess up to the warning signs and I mean right the f#*k now.

You paint an interesting picture. BUt your right, we have no wins of value - except maybe Michigan

1Our defense is bar none the worst I have ever seen in college football. Granted, I'm not a long-time fan of this great sport, but I have tried to learn quickly, and have studied the defenses of USC, LSU, and the former years of Husker dominance. In any case, look at the scoreboard against Ball State and Mizzou if you need any further evidence. There is NO emotion, NO scheme, and NO adjustments which can bring us back into it. Everyone is out of position, there is no pass rush, and our secondary even with 16 guys dropped back and a one-midget rush can STILL not defend the pass.

This is most disturbing of all. We have let up about 2,000 yards of total offense in just the last four games!!!!!!!!!! There hasn't been a shred of evidence to lend itself that we can tackle, stop the run, stop the pass, get sacks and plain and simple ..care

2) The offense, people, listen to me and listen good. The offense is a myth. We have created the myth of Keller and the offense in order to deceive ourselves into believing that this team has a hope. It just is not true. We have ABSOLUTELY NO RUNNING GAME, and in the passing game, a good portion of the passes are dropped, underthrown, overthrown, or just plain thrown away. At best they are mediocre, and in reality they are a lower-end Big XII North offense.

3) Coaching. Bad play calling, bad play calling, and more bad play calling. The players look dazed and confused, like they are in a cloud of an over-complicated scheme. This is not the pros, people. We can't expect NFL effort or ability. Even if we have 4-5 good draft picks, there's still the rest of the team to consider. And on Defense, I just have nothing to say. Cosgrove's record and performance speaks for him better than I ever could.

I don't want to get to into this but, the WCO was designed for short safe passes because in the pros players are so comparable. PLus, there is quite a bit of transition (i.e. free agency, trades, retirement)

Now, I don't want this to turn into a whining Sollich-fest. I don't know whether or not it was a good idea to fire him. At this point it's so irrelevant that if there is an ounce of brain within any of you, you won't speak his name again. That horse is dead, rotted, and forgotten. What we need to do now is enter into a very serious and thoughtful discussion about what options are open to us. I will reserve my opinion at this point, as I would have to research it more. But for those of you who have an idea, I'm all ears. Make it rational, make it real. I'm listening.

If there are any of you Callahaners left, I'm not attacking you for your opinion, but please, let's be honest with ourselves. Nebraska is a team on life support, and by the end of the season our sellout streak will likely be broken. I don't like it any better than you do, but I'll take my chances with a revolving door than surrender all together.

I really feel Callahan has a lot to offer, but the sellout streak was a thought prevalent on my mind last night and today.

NEVER SAY DIE!

I wont

X

Can Bill C, do any thing to change this offense in midstream, like go to some form of a spread offense. We have a passing q/b, we have plenty of receivers. It may be to hard to get out of the wco this late in the season. I don't see how the defense can get any better even if they start putting in a bunch of freshmen players now. They still have to get up to speed on the speed of the game and their assignments and if that happens we are saying forget this year and get ready for next year. Next year will be the same as this year, breaking in a new q/b. Don't care if Gantz has been around the team for a couple of years, he has no playing time to speak of. Looks like we are starting over no matter which way we go. Next year will look a lot like this year. 2009 is the year we will have to be waiting on now if we start breaking a new q/b next year. IMHO

GBR!!!

The Huskers right now are as good as they will get. Cally is a fraud but Pederson is the real culprit starting the demise of Husker football. What we watched today wasn't Husker football, it was Callahan football and it sucks. How long will we put up with it? I say it's time to clean house from the Athletic Director through our coaches. Keep Cally and mediocrity is what we will have in Lincoln for years to come. The big question is will Tom Osbourne fill the A.D. roll and get us back on track. We are officailly a joke and I ain't laughing.

Great post! :yeah X I agree with everything you just said as well. Something needs to change and NOW!

I think it would be best for nebraskans if we say were a volleyball school now instead of a football school. Atleast were undefeated in that sport. Hopefully another national championship, it wont be long now before volleyball is the talk around lincoln and they will have more national championships then the football team.