Pedys wise move

robsker

When Pedy gave Callahan the contract extension, he made a move that has saved his job (for the time being). Hear me out. It is fiscally improbable to fire Callahan (by giving the extension) --- it would now cost a fortune to fire the man. NU would have to meet the contract obligations of Callahan and then pay another coach. The extension made it tough for the upper administration to fire Callahan --- no matter how much the fans scream, the boosters scream and the media calls for the firing. By doing this, Pedy extended his own shelf life --- for if Callahan were to go, then the crosshairs would move to the man who hired him --- Pedy himself. By making it hard to remove Callahan it is hard to remove Pedy. It was a shrewd move on Pedy's part. He made it now an all or nothing proposition and Pedy is betting on it being nothing (and hedging his bets that way by making the fiscal burden so great).

For those hoping for Callahan to be fired, do not hold your breath. The NU fiscal situation will not facilitate such a move. I would be really surprised if Callahan were fired. Even if we go, as I expect we might, 4 - 8 this season with a 3 or more additional blow-out losses --- NU will not be able to afford firing Callahan.

If the NU administration does pull the trigger, then I suspect that Pedy might go too --- but the fiscal risk for NU would be so great. It would be a serious risk that could decimate the NU athletic program. By giving the contract extension, Pedy essentially held the NU administration hostage. the remarkable thing is that the upper administration allowed it to happen. This is not good.

I do believe that Cally is here for the long haul. The result of which is NU football will --- year in and year out --- be locked in a real battle with Baylor and ISU for the B12 basement award. No,...... this is not good.

When Pedy gave Callahan the contract extension, he made a move that has saved his job (for the time being). Hear me out. It is fiscally improbable to fire Callahan (by giving the extension) --- it would now cost a fortune to fire the man. NU would have to meet the contract obligations of Callahan and then pay another coach. The extension made it tough for the upper administration to fire Callahan --- no matter how much the fans scream, the boosters scream and the media calls for the firing. By doing this, Pedy extended his own shelf life --- for if Callahan were to go, then the crosshairs would move to the man who hired him --- Pedy himself. By making it hard to remove Callahan it is hard to remove Pedy. It was a shrewd move on Pedy's part. He made it now an all or nothing proposition and Pedy is betting on it being nothing (and hedging his bets that way by making the fiscal burden so great).

For those hoping for Callahan to be fired, do not hold your breath. The NU fiscal situation will not facilitate such a move. I would be really surprised if Callahan were fired. Even if we go, as I expect we might, 4 - 8 this season with a 3 or more additional blow-out losses --- NU will not be able to afford firing Callahan.

If the NU administration does pull the trigger, then I suspect that Pedy might go too --- but the fiscal risk for NU would be so great. It would be a serious risk that could decimate the NU athletic program. By giving the contract extension, Pedy essentially held the NU administration hostage. the remarkable thing is that the upper administration allowed it to happen. This is not good.

I do believe that Cally is here for the long haul. The result of which is NU football will --- year in and year out --- be locked in a real battle with Baylor and ISU for the B12 basement award. No,...... this is not good.

There is one good option left to us, but it's out of our control. Callahan steps aside. After humiliating us this season with several more big losses, I'd hope he has the decency to leave us with some hope for the future. If Callahan removes himself, I don't care what it costs, Pederson must be removed and that right soon. I guess we might have to ask how much are we all willing to pay to get rid of these bastards? I think we could scrounge up a big donor or two somewhere who would like to see us return to our roots...

It may take a miracle, but it could happen.

I think Harvey Perlman giving Steve Pederson an extension in August was the thing that extended his shelf life.

I missed this. Did he really?

Then NU is in worse shape than I thought. How could Perlman make such a move without what appers to have been enough data? Pedy has shown nothing positive in his performance that one can readily quantify --- and there was much that seemed headed in the wrong direction. If anything, I would have thought that Perlman would have played it out and looked to see what would happen.

So, if this is the case --- and I do not doubt that it is, I am sure you are right --- then the the firing of Callahan will absolutely not happen.

I think Harvey Perlman giving Steve Pederson an extension in August was the thing that extended his shelf life.

I missed this. Did he really?

Then NU is in worse shape than I thought. How could Perlman make such a move without what appers to have been enough data? Pedy has shown nothing positive in his performance that one can readily quantify --- and there was much that seemed headed in the wrong direction. If anything, I would have thought that Perlman would have played it out and looked to see what would happen.

So, if this is the case --- and I do not doubt that it is, I am sure you are right --- then the the firing of Callahan will absolutely not happen.

Oh yes it's true. As soon as he got the extension so did Cally. :hmmph

If Callahan truly has no buyout clause (other than the entire amount of his contract) and we are stuck with him for another 3 or more years, and we are stuck with Pederson for that amount of time as well. I'll predict right now that we will not even smell another National Championship (i.e. end the season ranked in the top 5) for at least a decade.

There is one good option left to us, but it's out of our control. Callahan steps aside. After humiliating us this season with several more big losses, I'd hope he has the decency to leave us with some hope for the future. If Callahan removes himself, I don't care what it costs, Pederson must be removed and that right soon. I guess we might have to ask how much are we all willing to pay to get rid of these bastards? I think we could scrounge up a big donor or two somewhere who would like to see us return to our roots...

It may take a miracle, but it could happen.

That donor might just live in Omaha.

GBR!!!

Yes, Perlman and Pederson have badly mismanaged the program and we will be paying the price for years. Their actions were self-serving and not in the best interest of NU. Period.

Not too much different than a floundering company paying its executives large bonuses. As I stated elsewhere, the problem is not just Cosgrove, or even Callahan. It goes higher than that, and for that reason it will be difficult to extricate the program from this situation for years to come.

This is truly a sad era in this program's tremendous history.

(For the record, while I was skeptical of Callahan's hiring, I have given him every benefit of the doubt and could hardly be considered a potbanger. Until now.)