The NU O-Line

JHaWk

During the preseason we heard a lot about the Husker O Line and the improved running game. Nevada seemed to verify that, but every other game there has been practically no big runs. With the BIG NU O Line, Neb should be able to run the football down the throat of most teams if not all at least for a gain of 3 yds per carry.

What is wrong with the O Line and the Rushing game? Is it Lucky, coaching, or the O Line not living up to their potential? What can Cally do about it? What would you do about it?

During the preseason we heard a lot about the Husker O Line and the improved running game. Nevada seemed to verify that, but every other game there has been practically no big runs. With the BIG NU O Line, Neb should be able to run the football down the throat of most teams if not all at least for a gain of 3 yds per carry.

What is wrong with the O Line and the Rushing game? Is it Lucky, coaching, or the O Line not living up to their potential? What can Cally do about it? What would you do about it?

mainly coaching. we are not playing anywhere remotely near our potential. if lucky could actually get some holes he would DANGEROUS. I really think on a good team with a good line he would be breaking a long run every game. he is dangerous in the open field. that being said he's not a good runner for team with a bad line. he's not a bruiser, hes a smart runner. people call him tentative, but I think he is just being patient. If you are a chiefs fan, you have seen Larry johnson do the same thing.

I just dont understand how the line can hold off for pass protection, but can't open gaps for the run.

I agree with captian that it hasnt been thqat great, but it is better. my guess is that that is what they spend they're time working on in practice. my brothers basketball team last year was not tall, and not athletic. but they out rebounded every team the teams from KC and st louis. Why? he spends 45 to an hour EVERY practice doing very physical intense rebounding drills.

I'm guessing that if we spent a good amount of time every day having our 2 lines go at each other full speed our run game and run defense would dramatically improve.

Ya it has surprised me too, but where is the mention of Wagner in this whole deal? He has really flown under the radar and everyone is blaming Callahan which ultimately he is responsible for every area of the team, but he is the position coach and he should be held accountable as well, just the same as Cosgrove is being called out I think Wagner should too.

Ya it has surprised me too, but where is the mention of Wagner in this whole deal? He has really flown under the radar and everyone is blaming Callahan which ultimately he is responsible for every area of the team, but he is the position coach and he should be held accountable as well, just the same as Cosgrove is being called out I think Wagner should too.

disagree, Callahan is running the whole offensive show, dumb ass shifts, complex play calling, you name it.

the guys still look confused and we get delay of game calls and motion calls STILL TODAY!

no, Wags has little to do with anything, this is cally's f'ing fiasco, he is to blame and no one else.

Three things that come to mind:

Our line isn't that big compared to other lines in the big 12. It's more average in comparison.

Zone blocking. The denver Broncos run it, and they've had pretty good success plugging RBs into their offense. Michigan also uses it, so we aren't alone in using it in cfb. But i don't think most cfb teams use it, and one has to wonder if maybe this isn't a problem for our players.

The O line is taught not to knock defensive players down, because the falling bodies could injury another one of our players. I don't fault the reasoning, but when the O line can't seem to get a push and looks soft one has to again wonder.

we don't run up to the line and snap the ball and just straight forward block. evey run play we have is like this:

a couple shifts. snap the ball on 2 or 3 after the D gets a chance to settle in and make adjustments. after the snap the left tackle drop steps and shoulder turns left to 'wall off' the D-tackle. the left guard slide steps to his gap and pushes the D-lineman. the center chip blocks with the left guard and gets upfield to block the LB. the right guard cutblocks the Nose tackle and creates a hole. the right tackle zone reads the D-end, if the D-end doesn't crash he leaves him and goes to the second level to get the OLB. by this time Lucky has recieved the handoff and has cut between the center and right guard where there appears to be a hole. but wait! while the right tackle didn't misread the D-end, he didn't get to the second level fast enough and the OLB crashes the hole and causes Lucky to break the run a little more to the outside than he wanted. which takes him directly to the waiting D-end who is by now recovering from the misdirection by the Right Tackle. Lucky is unable to break the tackle and is stopped for a 3 yard gain.

if you actually took the time to read this whole thing, then you know how i feel watching the Nebraska running game: lots of movement, some creases, but not quite determined enough, and surely not hitting it fast enough.

i remember being on the practice field when i was 11 years old during the practice week leading up to the 1987 Sugar Bowl vs LSU. Taylor would call the play in the huddle and say "on first sound, first sound!"

the offense would sprint up to the ball, get set and and Taylor would say, "SET!" and the ball was snapped and it was like unleashing a fury. so much forward movement and push, the D simply was not ready for it.

later that nite i asked my dad why they always called it on first sound and he said, "we want to set a pace for the game and show them we mean business. just try to stop it. we don't want them to get settled in. we know what we're running, they know what we're running. A quick count blows them off the ball, straight forward blocking demoralizing the defense."