You gott'a be kidding me

Teacher

Damn you guys can dredge up some past lol good lord...bottom line Coz will go first Bill will stay...with a new DC if no progress is made after that....Bill's next recruit will be the UHAUL(love that sig by the way)...but at the very least Bill is here for a few before he gets the boot...

haha Well, I have these series of tubes called The Internets coming to my apartment and it doesn't take too long ;) Anyway, my point was just to provide counter-examples to the "you have to give him time" and that he took over for a bad coach with bad recruits... yet Devaney took over for Jennings and had a spectacular season (especially considering the Jennings era record). More recent examples have been cited all over the place with USC, etc... Coaching makes a HUGE difference... huge... immeasurable. If you can take a group of players who had never seen a winning season, been shut out for 1/3 of their losses and turn them into ass-kickers... well... that just rules.

http://www.time.com/time/magazine/article/...,834648,00.html

Awww....

What you stated is very true, but you are talking about a class of coaches that fall under the category of "super coach" and those guys are somewhat rare. What NU is dealing with now is a guy that may or may not fall under the category of "good coach" or "developing coach". There are outstanding, but relatively few examples of the super coach and NU has had a couple in the past, and so have a few other teams. But in the real world these rare examples don't come along all that often and teams have to play the hand they have been dealt. I would be willing to bet that if NU had stayed with Solitch (sp?) by now he would have had things pretty well straightened out and NU would be on the delivering end of the butt kicking and not on the receiving end. It's all about patience and too many NU fans want the glory days now without having to put up with several years of development and discouragement. Patience is the key factor at this point and if you keep switching coaches every few years you will NEVER see the old times again.

Steve Peterson.......is this you????

How many losing seasons did Osborne have? How many years did he miss bowl games? How long did it take Devaney to get a decent record after taking over for POS?

From HUskerpedia:

"The Huskers had managed just three winning seasons since 1940 and were mired in the bottom 10 in winning percentage during that stretch (.368). What's worse, there were no signs of a turnaround. In the five seasons leading up to his arrival, NU posted a 15-34-1 record, with more than a third of those losses coming by shutout. In only four games during that five-year stretch did the Huskers ring up more than 17 points. Dismal stuff indeed.

"Then along came Bob. His first team went 9-2, including a Gotham Bowl victory over George Mira and the Miami Hurricanes."

- http://huskerpedia.com/devaney.html

" In his quarter-century as head coach, Tom Osborne never won fewer than nine games in a season. His 255-49-3 record gave him the best winning percentage (83.6%) among active Division 1-A coaches at the time of his retirement and the fifth-best of all time."

- http://huskerpedia.com/osborne.html

Yeah, you're making great comparisons.

lets not forget the back to back 6-4 seasons that had alot of Husker Fans back in the day, calling for Devaney to be fired. If the AD at the time would have followed the wishes of the fans then, NU doesnt win the NC in 70-71. More than likely TO never becomes the HC at NU either.

Jerry Murtaugh brought this up on the Blackshirt Roundtable just a couple of weeks ago.

You have to take TO's record each year with a grain of salt. Sure he never had a season that was worse than 9-3, but each season was padded with cupcakes in the non-conference schedule, and wasnt limited to 85 scholarships. Hell he even had a freshman team where all the freshman that didnt make the varsity squad, played on to get game experience at a higher level.

Callahan may or may not be the coach to bring NU back to a NC. He does need to make some changes on his staff, and some changes toward the teams game week preperations. He has a contract extension through 2011 so i doubt that he is going anywhere anytime soon, and I do feel like NU can be a very successful team with him as HC, but he has to make some tough decisions that have nothing to do with friendship, its just business.

6-4 is not losing and he had a strong record before that. BC has nothing to point to except a super bowl loss.

Damn you guys can dredge up some past lol good lord...bottom line Coz will go first Bill will stay...with a new DC if no progress is made after that....Bill's next recruit will be the UHAUL(love that sig by the way)...but at the very least Bill is here for a few before he gets the boot...

haha Well, I have these series of tubes called The Internets coming to my apartment and it doesn't take too long ;) Anyway, my point was just to provide counter-examples to the "you have to give him time" and that he took over for a bad coach with bad recruits... yet Devaney took over for Jennings and had a spectacular season (especially considering the Jennings era record). More recent examples have been cited all over the place with USC, etc... Coaching makes a HUGE difference... huge... immeasurable. If you can take a group of players who had never seen a winning season, been shut out for 1/3 of their losses and turn them into ass-kickers... well... that just rules.

http://www.time.com/time/magazine/article/...,834648,00.html

Awww....

What you stated is very true, but you are talking about a class of coaches that fall under the category of "super coach" and those guys are somewhat rare. What NU is dealing with now is a guy that may or may not fall under the category of "good coach" or "developing coach". There are outstanding, but relatively few examples of the super coach and NU has had a couple in the past, and so have a few other teams. But in the real world these rare examples don't come along all that often and teams have to play the hand they have been dealt. I would be willing to bet that if NU had stayed with Solitch (sp?) by now he would have had things pretty well straightened out and NU would be on the delivering end of the butt kicking and not on the receiving end. It's all about patience and too many NU fans want the glory days now without having to put up with several years of development and discouragement. Patience is the key factor at this point and if you keep switching coaches every few years you will NEVER see the old times again.

Maybe it's just me, but I still think NU has a super history and is a super dynasty. Forgive me for wanting a SUPER coach! I think we all know these kind of coaches are rare. Maybe this is why we should have sent a man instead of a boy or better yet a group of men to find one of these super coaches.

Development is built by taking steps forward. Our D was #11 in the country in 2003. It is ranked at a stellar #96 now. Our offense is ranked #53 or something like that. We have not taken strides forward. We seem to continue to backpedal. If we continue this spiral downward, I'm afraid that this coaching staff will actually do more harm than if we'd been placed on NCAA Probation!