Perlman not happy about having to do it...

http://www.journalstar.com/articles/2007/1...99034053598.txt

“I want to be clear on some things. I know that every one of you thinks this was because of a football game that was played last Saturday,” Perlman said.

“Let me tell you that this decision was made prior to this weekend. I have become aware since July or August of a number of concerns from people in the athletic department about Steve’s management style, about his connection with his staff, with donors, with fans, with former athletes.

This is what interests me. What was his connection with staff, donors fans and former athletes that made him so concerned? Did he not get along? Was there some underhandedness to what was going on behind the scenes...ie, doing what donors and former athletes wanted and not doing what was best for the school?

Perlman said Husker coach Bill Callahan is safe through the remainder of the season.

don't know if that was posted somewhere else...but that's the first I've heard it actually said

“I don’t think that I’m the person to evaluate the athletic standing of the program,” Perlman said.

meaning Callahan and Coz are probably safe for now...until another AD comes in and decides what to do (that answers everyone's questions)

Perlman said when the question of Pederson’s contract extension was in the air, he sent out an evaluation sheet for all members of the athletic department to fill out about Pederson.

Only two people replied. One said positive things. One said negative.

wow!

Husker coach Tom Osborne’s name has been tossed around a bunch in recent days as a potential interim AD, or even more.

“I tell you I certainly will talk to him now with respect to getting his advice on what’s his advice to move the program forward,” Perlman said.

“Steve worked for me,” said Osborne, noting that he recommended Pederson for the job. “I’m sorry this turned out this way.”

Would Osborne be open in the interim AD position, or perhaps even the full-time AD spot?

“Well, I’d rather not even talk about that right now because I don’t know what that means, or what those duties would be,” Osborne said. “I’ve had no serious conversations about it.”

just as the rumors said

I'm interested in what you all think about Peterson's abilities beyond the football program. I know we all pay attention to how things are running right now with our football season...but what about baseball? or volleyball? Those two teams aren't doing terrible either. I know they aren't a huge money maker for the school, but apparently someone was doing something right in those areas.

Volleyball is the only sport at NU right now that has no issues. Baseball fell apart last year, and had minor NCAA violations. Basketball has never been a great thing here, maybe Doc turns it around, maybe not. Too early to tell there.

You have to respect a man who does what he knows is the right thing to do, even if he doesnt like having to do it.

I'm interested in what you all think about Peterson's abilities beyond the football program. I know we all pay attention to how things are running right now with our football season...but what about baseball? or volleyball? Those two teams aren't doing terrible either. I know they aren't a huge money maker for the school, but apparently someone was doing something right in those areas.

Pederson made good and bad decisions during his time as AD. In general, he was not taking Husker athletics in the direction it needed to go. A huge part of this is what I already mentioned...alienating people who are/were very important to Husker athletics in general. I've said this many times...athletics at the university is not just football, and Pederson leaving is good for all of NU athletics.

Volleyball is the only sport at NU right now that has no issues. Baseball fell apart last year, and had minor NCAA violations. Basketball has never been a great thing here, maybe Doc turns it around, maybe not. Too early to tell there.

You have to respect a man who does what he knows is the right thing to do, even if he doesnt like having to do it.

Womens bowling had a down year last year too... :hellloooo

If he was concerned since July or August why in the hell was a contract extension given. Some might question his management skills and decision making skills.

A couple of thoughts come to mind:

1. While he may have had concerns, he may have also lacked proof. On more than one occassion during the press conference, he mentioned that in the last several weeks members of the staff were finally providing details. It isn't uncommon for employees to be dissatisfied, but not speak up for fear of retaliation. In a case like that, there's not a lot upper management can do but encourage people to talk. The general groundswell against Pederson was probably enough to make those folks feel something would be done if they just provided the information. Also, Perlman stated that boosters had not been bending his ear about Callahan. So...he had no information that Pederson was alienating staff or boosters.

2. Assuming No. 1 is correct, then the extension actually makes sense. When viewed as a whole, there are the improved facilities, an apparent good hire in the basketball coach, the volleyball team doing well, etc. By no means am I defending Pederson - I'm simply saying that Perlman had to weigh all of that against possibly little or no evidence to the contrary. And it is typical to "roll over" these kinds of contracts - unless there is evidence to the contrary.