Give me a break!

Ok, let's get some things straight. There are several of us (myself included) who have traveled and lived elsewhere other than Nebraska. Obviously you don't pay attention to where the money comes from, it's not all from people living in Nebraska. Two, why does it throw the state in uproar, because we are the HUSKERS! We are on of the loyalest fan bases there are in the country. We have one MAJOR university, not two or three like most states, so why does the whole state focus on that. Gee I wonder! Why do they interrupt the news in Washington because of Tom Osborne, I don't maybe it's because there really isn't anything interesting in the Presidential election that anyone wants to hear. The Bush/Gore thing, it's over and done get over it. I didn't vote for Bush the first or second time. Hey, yes I voted. Imagine. The War in Iraq. I have a nephew there right now, we are getting DVD copies of the games and sending them to him, gives him something else to think about, or helps channel his energy when he does his watch, depends on which game he is watching.

So yes, we know there is a whole other world out there, maybe some of us would like to forget for a few hours all the stuff that is going on, on another continent, another state or another town, for just a few minutes, and feel some pride in what we are trying to do as a University.

I was born and bred here. I attended UNL. I currently live here to be near my parents. I think I do understand values. Values that have purpose. I don't understand what values people get from criticizing a team of young men and their mentors. I don't understand the values of cheering that a man lost his job. What are the values in that? Is it integrity and tradition? I think not!

This is my first post here. Please don't start hating me before you completly hear me out.

I am thinking about all this Husker crap. I am not a Husker hater. I really enjoy rooting the football team on. I attended UNL. I don't understand why this team is treated like a pro team with the fans and all over the news. A lot of the people who are bitching about everything over in Lincoln never even attended the school! Why does the status of the situation in the Athletics Department throw the entire state in an uproar and take over the entire 5 o'clock news and after?

I have lived in Seattle, Washington (where there are a few college teams and a pro team). Even a change in the Seahawks staff would not break into regular television to make an announcement. It would come on the news. Maybe if some of the people in this town lived anywhere but in the little Husker bubble; they would understand the insanity of their Husker crap they spew on everyone in the state. It's ridiculous! People, travel there is a whole new world out there to experience!

These college football players in Lincoln are about 18-22 years old! They are not professional football players. They are not getting paid money! They are playing a sport they love and some are getting some or all of their education in return. THAT'S IT! They are kids! It is not life and death in Nebraska.

If anyone says that "T.O." is going to save the team and get "us" (I have never quite figured out which us and we fans are talking about) back on track I will vomit on them. This 3 ring circus needs to stop! Don't people remember there is military occupation in Iraq or that genocide is being committed in Darfur? Homeowners are losing there houses everyday in the US because of the housing burst. Hello???? U.S. military soldiers are dying and they aren't even shown on the news enough. People, if you are listening, move on! There are primaries and an election for a new president coming up. Maybe if Husker fans knew as much about the presidential candidates as they knew about Husker players and staff, George Bush would not be in office! (Even though Al Gore won the popular vote!)

I've served twice in that hellhole and you know what...The guys I was with cared for their teams just as much as we do Nebraska. And, for your information and all of the life you've experienced, it's that little bit from home...that team that you love, that turns a Sh%%ty day into a tolerable one. Welcome to the board.

Thanks for the warm welcome everyone! As I said, I was born and bred here. I attended UNL. I currently live in Omaha. I want to be closer to my parents. I think I do understand values. Values that have purpose. I don't understand what values people get from criticizing a team of young men and their mentors. I don't understand the values of cheering that a man lost his job. What are the values in that? Is it integrity and tradition? I think not!

Megan, no one is going to yell at you because you don't get it and never will get it. That is o.k. This is the Nebraska identity that reflects on the values of the state. I really am sorry that you are not N.

I was born and bred here. I attended UNL. I think I do understand values. Values that have purpose. I don't understand what values people get from criticizing a team of young men and their mentors. I don't understand the values of cheering that a man lost his job. What are the values in that? Is it integrity and tradition? I think not!

Because that man (Pud) only thought of these kids as MONEY MAKING oppurtunites! He didn't give a sh#t about tradition, family values and so on. So get your friggen facts straight before you start trying to get everyone here to hold hands and sing cumbyeya!

:yeah

Thanks for the warm welcome everyone! As I said, I was born and bred here. I attended UNL. I currently live in Omaha. I want to be closer to my parents. I think I do understand values. Values that have purpose. I don't understand what values people get from criticizing a team of young men and their mentors. I don't understand the values of cheering that a man lost his job. What are the values in that? Is it integrity and tradition? I think not!

I have attended the great University of Nebraska as well! And again I respond by saying.....Because that man (Pud) only thought of these kids as MONEY MAKING oppurtunites! He didn't give a sh#t about tradition, family values and so on. Pud had ZERO class and used fear and intimidation towards his employers. Great man eh?! So get your friggen facts straight before you start questioning integrity and tradition. Trying to get everyone here to hold hands and sing cumbyeya isn't going to work!

Megan, you are completely wrong. The players are too getting paid!! :box

I think most of us are aware of the worlds tragedies. We do this for fun, entertainment, and relief from the real world.

Thanks for your self righteous rant. I'm amazed that in all of your dutiful activism you have time to read this board and post. Did you wi-fi us simpletons from a Starbucks?

Many of us don't live in NE anymore, and for me, much of it has to do woth the conservative mindset and voting habits but that doesn't mean I have any respect for what you just did. Condescending, venomous, just plain poor.

Bill Callahan was elected coach even though Bo Pellini won the popular vote.

BTW- since you seem so wrapped up in politics and fancy book learnin', we don't elect presidents by popular vote, never have. Its called the electoral college. Maybe you can read about it and explain it to us.

I think most of us are aware of the worlds tragedies. We do this for fun, entertainment, and relief from the real world.

Thanks for your self righteous rant. I'm amazed that in all of your dutiful activism you have time to read this board and post. Did you wi-fi us simpletons from a Starbucks?

Many of us don't live in NE anymore, and for me, much of it has to do woth the conservative mindset and voting habits but that doesn't mean I have any respect for what you just did. Condescending, venomous, just plain poor.

BTW- since you seem so wrapped up in politics and fancy book learnin', we don't elect presidents by popular vote, never have. Its called the electoral college. Maybe you can read about it and explain it to us.

Don't even get me started on the electoral college! What a scham! BTW, the players are not getting paid money! They are receiving an education. Do you actually know the number of people on FULL scholorship on the football team. Not a lot compared to the entire team.

Don't even get me started on the electoral college! What a scham! BTW, the players are not getting paid money! They are receiving an education. Do you actually know the number of people on FULL scholorship on the football team. Not a lot compared to the entire team.

Actually, 85 are on full rides. That's a significant percentage. As for the rest, it's their choice.

Aside to the Board - this is an example as to why men rule the world...

Don't even get me started on the electoral college! What a scham!

Yep. Complete sham. The same sham we've been using for 200+. The party that Al Gore lost for (and he did lose) is as much in support of this sham as the party that beat him.....and it was 8 years ago. If the dems could find a real candidate somewhere in that party they could've beat W last election.

I work in higher education. I'm quite aware of how athletic scholarships work- some admin call them student buyout rates.

Oh, and BTW- did you hear that TO is back at NU as the AD. These last 2 days have been so much fun. Now if they'd just fire the coaches it would all be perfect.

um.......85 because that is the limit. and most of them are from out of state, so when you add up all of the out of state tuition costs, that comes up to alot of money that the players are not getting paid to play a sport

BTW, the players are not getting paid money! They are receiving an education. Do you actually know the number of people on FULL scholorship on the football team. Not a lot compared to the entire team.

Oh, they get paid, all right, just not "officially." Google "Rhett Bomar," and know that stuff like that happens at every university across America (and probably 90% of high schools, as well).

By the way, I read your post and I thank you for taking the time and effort to make it. However, I have no explanation (and absolutely no shame) about why I am so hopelessly devoted to this football team. This is a loyal fanbase, something of which the university should be very proud. I would wager that there are several programs around the country who would BEG for this kind of devotion from their fans.

EDIT: Fixed a tag. :)