Callahan

Did it seem to anyone else that during Callahan's news conference on Tuesday he was putting into place the "this is all a huge distraction" excuse for his crummy coaching and the fact that he has lost his team? I was amazed that yesterday he seemed to abandon the positive spin he normally tries to feed everyone.

What did you want him to say? They were asking him directly if it was a distraction. So he either blatantly lies and says it's not, or he tells the truth and gets blamed for making excuses? I'm sure it is a huge distraction to everyone. If anything, I thought he sounded frustrated with the whole situation, which is understandable in his position.

Did it seem to anyone else that during Callahan's news conference on Tuesday he was putting into place the "this is all a huge distraction" excuse for his crummy coaching and the fact that he has lost his team? I was amazed that yesterday he seemed to abandon the positive spin he normally tries to feed everyone.

I saw a coach that was defeated in that press conference. I think he realizes that he doesnt have the answers to this season and it is getting to him. I think he truely cares for this program and wants to succeed, Im just not sure if he can regain the confidence necessary for that task. We will all know more on Saturday. If they lose, you an expect to be 4-5 after Texas, which would make everything worse and he would have no other choice but to resign. I feel sorry for him and his staff, I hope they turn things around.

I saw a coach that was defeated in that press conference. I think he realizes that he doesnt have the answers to this season and it is getting to him. I think he truely cares for this program and wants to succeed, Im just not sure if he can regain the confidence necessary for that task. We will all know more on Saturday. If they lose, you an expect to be 4-5 after Texas, which would make everything worse and he would have no other choice but to resign. I feel sorry for him and his staff, I hope they turn things around.

I can't decide whether I feel sorry for him or not. In that conference yesterday he also said that the knows that he is doing "an excellent job." He really destroyed the culture surrounding the team. I mean people can't even sit through whole games. Like Sipple said in his column, he's had two teams flat out quit on him and this years team just proves that the Raiders weren't just a bunch of prima donnas.

It is a huge distraction. There's no two ways about it in this case.

Sounds from his "excellant" job comments he's been listening to way to many of those discount self improvement tapes in the car on the way to the office each morning. I'm guessing he played one for at least 30 minutes before the press conference.

"I am an excellant coach, I can achieve great things by using my talent. The world is at my disposal because I am the best coach in the Big XII. I am confident, I an the solutiong, only I can make a difference." sorta like that.

Pedy's went something like this "I am the savior of Huskerland, only I can save them. People like me, people like me, people like me. Yes I am a likeable guy. People respect me. I am a great leader. Etc.

It is a huge distraction. There's no two ways about it in this case.

:yeah np_husker, do you honestly think the players aren't dealing with this situation as well? We all know the coaches are distracted and if they are distracted then the players sure as heck are. Maybe you should be happy he abandoned the positive spin he normally tries to feed everyone. People want him to not have the coach speak, well you got it, he spoke about how the team is handling it and then you criticize that.

no, just honesty. he knows his job is on the line. When i know my job is on the line i just go out there and work harder despite it, use it as a reason to do better and harder(but i've always liked having my back up against he wall).

Do you watch him in practice and are able to tell how hard he is working? I get the feeling you think he isn't working harder since he knows his job is on the line. I believe he PROBABLY is working harder although i have no proof to say otherwise, and neither do you.

no, just honesty. he knows his job is on the line. When i know my job is on the line i just go out there and work harder despite it, use it as a reason to do better and harder(but i've always liked having my back up against he wall).

Which is exactly what he said the team would do. He sees it as an opportunity to have the team prove itself under even more difficult circumstances.

At this point, sadly, I doubt Callahan can say anything right with most people. I'm sure he could tell most fans the current month is October and they'd find fault with it somehow.

Do you watch him in practice and are able to tell how hard he is working? I get the feeling you think he isn't working harder since he knows his job is on the line. I believe he PROBABLY is working harder although i have no proof to say otherwise, and neither do you.

oh i know he's working harder on it, hell his son has said as much but the fact of the matter is, you got yourself in that place by taking this job, quit complaining and go and work. he could have just said next question and it'd be just fine.

oh i know he's working harder on it, hell his son has said as much but the fact of the matter is, you got yourself in that place by taking this job, quit complaining and go and work. he could have just said next question and it'd be just fine.

If he'd of said next question you would call him a gutless coward for dodging questions and not giving any information and talking coach speak. Really a no win situation for him. I'm not a supporter but I think he's getting very raw treatment in all this.