What Will TO Do?

whatver you say..i honestly think he wont fire callahan despite the rumors...he would have fired him by now...why wait for us to lose our last 4 or 5 games?

According to your birthday you were all of 5 years old when Osborne finished his run, you probably don't have much of an opinion about his football knowledge.

I have as much respect for Tom Osbourne as you guys...but he does not have the balls to fire anyone this season...and i wouldnt be surprised despite the rumors...that he wont fire callahan...he got 20-some years before he won a national championship...how do you know he wont give callahan that much time?

...But I belive I Bleed Red's rumors but what if they were wrong?

Go back and look at the schedule/results of his Husker teams after Tom took over in 1973.

Here's the link to the Husker schedule/results for 1972, you can go from there:

http://www.huskers.com/SportSelect.dbml?SP...p;Q_SEASON=1972

Granted, we can all say that he took over when the program was rolling and had good recruits. That may be somewhat true.

It may have taken Tom 21 years to win a National Championship...but he also didn't take the program and run it into the ground in 4.

Tom Osborne is simply handling this in a reasonable and respectable manner. If he were to fire Callahan now, not only would there be a player-revolt (with a few of them, I'm guessing) but our recruiting would be COMPLETELY shot for the year.

I believe Callahan is gone after this season. I certainly hope so. If not, then I'll be second-guessing Tom Osborne...and I don't think I'm in any place to do so.

It's not that he doesn't have the balls...he just isn't stupid...

honestly, what do you hope to get out of firing BC right now? Taking away the coach these guys have been working with for years and giving them someone new is not going to make them play any better the next 4 weeks. The only thing you get is the personal satisfaction of seeing BC go. Might as well take your time at the end of the season when you have all your ducks in a row and know who the replacement's going to be before you start firing people. At that point you can let the new coach start from scratch

i shouldnt say he doesnt have the balls...i should say he doesnt have the guts 2

Really those two things mean the exact same thing. Saying one over the other is no better or different.

He did say he would support this coaching staff. He has done so on numerous occasions. And there were positives with this game, at least in the first half. Really, when you look at it, it is progress over the last 3 games. Osborne has too much character to conduct himself otherwise.

I like T.O, but what makes you think he won't give Callahan as much time as we gave him in the 70's...people didnt even want him as our coach when he was hired they wanted kiffen..people were mad at him going 9-3...tho 4-4 is bad right now....so....he will give callahan more of a chance...and it will be until we are last in the big 12 before he knows what he should do

I like T.O, but what makes you think he won't give Callahan as much time as we gave him in the 70's...people didnt even want him as our coach when he was hired they wanted kiffen..people were mad at him going 9-3...tho 4-4 is bad right now....so....he will give callahan more of a chance...and it will be until we are last in the big 12 before he knows what he should do

It was a different CFB environment then, and like Grateful husker said, he didn't run our program into the ground in 4 years... Those two reason are why he was around so long.

Mods:

Is there a way we can have posters take a Nebraska Football history test before they are allowed to post?

Mods:

Is there a way we can have posters take a Nebraska Football history test before they are allowed to post?

:yeah:yeah:yeah:yeah:yeah PLEASE! :nanalama

Mods:

LMAO :rollin:yeah

I like T.O, but what makes you think he won't give Callahan as much time as we gave him in the 70's...

He's already pretty much bitch-slapped Callahan by showing up at practice (twice) and having Charlie McBride show up at practice, giving former players sideline passes and reversing a whole lot of the tradition-crushing decisions by Pederson -- which I think it's fair to say were done partly to be supportive of Callahan establishing a new direction.

Osborne has been clear that the walk-on program is going to be resumed and that he blames part of the Huskers' fall on Callahan's decimation of that program.

Callahan is emasculated and knows he's gone.

But really, how would it help the players to bring in new coaches with four games left? There's no time to establish a new system.

You couldn't make the change last week -- Osborne's hiring wasn't announced till late Tuesday.

So we'll suffer through this. I suspect that what IBR has right is that Callahan will, very soon, announce his resignation effective at the end of the year. Sipple, who used the same terminology in forshadowing Pederson's firing, suggested as much today.

I think that with new coaches, the same kids will be better next year. Look at what Pelini did in '03 with many of the same defenders who were pretty pathetic in '02.