The option could never work...

I just don't think it's the offense to run anymore. Just like Solich the option is not going to come back to NU. :dunno

No I don't think you'll see the Solich option come back.

When I think of option I get this vision of the triple option or nothing, but running and I just don't think that will get it done anymore. Against a team that is having a horrible season like the Huskers it will work, but not against teams like the ones in the Top 10? The spread I can see coming in here.

Yep.

I just don't think it's the offense to run anymore. Just like Solich the option is not going to come back to NU. :dunno

When I think of option I get this vision of the triple option or nothing, but running and I just don't think that will get it done anymore. Against a team that is having a horrible season like the Huskers it will work, but not against teams like the ones in the Top 10? The spread I can see coming in here.

Just because you feature a power running game as your base offense (up to and including the option) doesn't mean you throw passing out the window (no pun intended). The great thing about running the ball most plays is that, if you do it effectively, you leave that secondary lazy or too close to the line to stop the deep ball. I think it would be awesome to see an I-formation open up into a spread via an audible, or a spread collapse into an I-form. That would be the best way to play the game. If you can run, run; if you can't, pass. But remember, live by the pass, die by the pass. If Nebraska never had to throw the ball again I would prefer it, but reasonably speaking, with the players we presently have, I would like to see a mixture of the I and a little of the spread.

X

Yep.

Well it's time for you guys to enter the 21st Century then because thats not what the option is anymore

Yep.

Well it's time for you guys to enter the 21st Century then because thats not what the option is anymore

When you start a thread citing the A&M game as a reason why the option is still a good choice...? Is it any big wonder people thought most were referring to their style of option? I don't just see the option as the triple option, but when you start a thread like this, wtf do you expect?

Just because you feature a power running game as your base offense (up to and including the option) doesn't mean you throw passing out the window (no pun intended). The great thing about running the ball most plays is that, if you do it effectively, you leave that secondary lazy or too close to the line to stop the deep ball. I think it would be awesome to see an I-formation open up into a spread via an audible, or a spread collapse into an I-form. That would be the best way to play the game. If you can run, run; if you can't, pass. But remember, live by the pass, die by the pass. If Nebraska never had to throw the ball again I would prefer it, but reasonably speaking, with the players we presently have, I would like to see a mixture of the I and a little of the spread.

X

Okay I can see what you are talking about. :thumbs

The Option will always work. People who say it is dead in this modern day of football are ridiculous. The Option puts sooo much pressure on the opposing defense its not even funny. They may stop the standard Triple option twice to the outside, Then the third we hand it to the fullback and he runs right up the middle for 20 yards. Its complex in how the defense has to adjust to it, But it is relatively easy to run. You can seal off the QB and the Fullback, but then the halfback will be open. You can seal all 3 off, then the play Action pass starts to work. The Spread uses this same basic principle, Have more choices then the defense can defend. Spread can be run from shotgun or standard formation, And can utilize anything from tight end posts to 4 receiver draws up the middle. Its just teaching all the plays and different formations of the spread that proves difficult in College. Some coaches can teach it in various ways and it sticks, some can't. There is only 4 years to grasp it, and its tough. You need to have players develop in the system in the same way the West Coast players have to, Just not as complex. The West Coast is the step up from the spread, and its just too complicated. When you have a QB that knows all the plays extremely well, IE Zac Taylor, It opens up everything entirely. But in the time it takes to learn the entire play book, the team will be one dimensional based on the QB's knowledge. The Option isn't like either of these. Its relatively easy to learn, There aren't a massive amount of complex plays to memorize, So players can usually step right in and play. Thats why it is so popular in High School football. It still has the ability to work at the College Level, the spread just seemed to work so well everyone else adopted it.

Well said :clap

Right now, Millard North would score on this defense. You cant judge what really works in the world of college football right now based on how many points it puts up against Nebraska. A&M only managed 7 vs Texas Tech.

And what West Virgina and Florida run, are not a triple option that Solich ran.

I like a run first offense, doesnt mean it has to be option. The issue is when you cant pass when you need to. An offense that has big trouble with 3rd and 8 isnt one that can take you the distance.

When you start a thread citing the A&M game as a reason why the option is still a good choice...? Is it any big wonder people thought most were referring to their style of option? I don't just see the option as the triple option, but when you start a thread like this, wtf do you expect?

Hey genius, I didn't start the the thread :lol:

I know. But you're criticizing people, in this thread, for thinking people were referring to a triple (or more of a read, in A&M's case, I think) when the thread is talking about the A&M offense. As I said, wtf do you expect?

I know. But you're criticizing people, in this thread, for thinking people were referring to a triple (or more of a read, in A&M's case, I think) when the thread is talking about the A&M offense. As I said, wtf do you expect?

WRONG AGAIN!!!!

You said I started the thread, but you were the first to bring up A&M.

The first 10 posts had nothing to do with A&M.

Go back and read it again :hmmph

Don't be changing your story

I cannot stand that drivel. You know, those self-righteous football pricks who after wiping their asses with silk deign to look down and you and spew that line. "The ahp-sion is entirely inconceivable, good sir. Noooo, I think we ought rrrun the sprrread."

Any system can work, including the WCO. I LIKE the option for the reasons I've stated a hundred times. Ball control; progressive in-game effectiveness; gameplan of attrition. It has its drawbacks, there is no doubt, and mandates a very, very solid defense which can prevent quick strikes and big leads. However, as you all witnessed today, apparently there is life in the old boy yet!

X

:yeah:restore