Cory Ross - one tough mofo

Blackshirt

I didn't see the date on it untill after i had posted. But from his response a year ago, it shows that his opinion hasn't changed considering the fact he has picked us to lose the last 3 games. Wouldn't you agree?

Well of course, I think he would have picked us to go winless in '95.

Huskers' offense in good hands with Ross

ERIC OLSON

AP Sports Writer

LINCOLN, Neb. — Someone apparently forgot to tell running back Cory Ross that he was supposed to make way for 2005 Nebraska recruiting class stars Marlon Lucky and Cody Glenn.

If anything, the first four games have shown that Ross is entrenched as the Cornhuskers' starting I-back.

"Those guys are two of the top freshmen I've seen at Nebraska, and they're doing a great job and pushing me to do the best I can," Ross said. "I know when their opportunity comes, they'll show their abilities."

The way Ross has been playing, it might be awhile before Lucky and Glenn get many meaningful snaps.

Ross was one of eight Big 12 backs to rush for more than 1,000 yards last season, but many recruiting analysts, media and fans trumpeted the arrival of Lucky and Glenn and pushed aside the 5-foot-6, 195-pound senior from Denver.

Ross refuses to go away.

In last week's 27-20 double-overtime win over Iowa State, Ross played the most complete game of his career. Recruited for the triple-option by Frank Solich in 2001, Ross looked like a prototypical West Coast offense running back against the Cyclones.

He caught a career-high eight passes for 131 yards and two touchdowns, including a 70-yarder off a center screen.

The Huskers ran only 25 times, but Ross had 15 of those carries for 32 yards and a TD.

Lucky and Glenn?

They're going to have to wait. Lucky has seen spot duty in each game but has only 16 carries for 43 yards. Glenn has appeared in one game and run four times for 20 yards.

"In the flow of the game you have to be able to trust guys in all areas, and Cory Ross has done it," offensive coordinator Jay Norvell said. "He's done it in big games; he's performed and produced. When we're trying to win an important football game, those are the kind of guys you ride. You ride the guys who got you there."

Ross seems to be getting better each week, quarterback Zac Taylor said.

"He understands that he's going to be used in different ways, and if he has to block he's going to block, and we can count on him every play," Taylor said. "Obviously he showed he can catch the ball, too."

Ross said he's found happiness in coach Bill Callahan's offensive system, which relies heavily on quick, short passes.

"Not to say the option wasn't the best thing, but this shows my ability to block, run and catch the football," Ross said. "That's the type of offense everyone wants to be in, especially if you want to be an NFL player."

Catching passes allows Ross to put his elusiveness on display, he said. Plus, using Ross as a receiver forces defenses to have a linebacker cover him, a matchup that Ross likes.

"When you catch the ball, you're out of the whole crowded area of linemen, D-linemen," he said. "You're almost in one-on-one situations, and those are kind of fun to be in."

Ross said it took him some time to catch on to the West Coast system. He said the difficulty of learning the offense probably is one of the reasons why Lucky and Glenn haven't gotten more playing time.

"I was hesitant my first year in the West Coast offense," Ross said. "Sometimes you're out there second-guessing yourself. Once they become comfortable, they'll be great in this offense. But it probably takes a year."

I think BC nailed it last year. The most complete back he has ever coached. I will go one further, he is the most complete back I have seen at Nebraska, although some were never given the opportunity he was given. But he is the idea behind the Hiesman trophy. He is what every colleg player should be. He is what I think a Nebraska player should be. He makes me smile every time I see him play. As stated before he is my all time favorite Nebraska player and representative of what Nebraska is. He promotes this program like no other player ever has. He is the real deal.

Think of what he and the other seniors have gone through in their careers at NU. Cory has the best attitude even after all the turmoil and devisiveness that permeated the program. I believe Cory has given leadership and shown through example how to be a great football player and man.

GBR

I think BC nailed it last year. The most complete back he has ever coached. I will go one further, he is the most complete back I have seen at Nebraska, although some were never given the opportunity he was given. But he is the idea behind the Hiesman trophy. He is what every colleg player should be. He is what I think a Nebraska player should be. He makes me smile every time I see him play. As stated before he is my all time favorite Nebraska player and representative of what Nebraska is. He promotes this program like no other player ever has. He is the real deal.

Exactly.

The best player in some time keeps getting pub.

Relying on Ross

MAIN THREAT - After scoring the winning touchdown in Nebraska 27-20 victory over No. 23 Iowa State last week, Ross has 388 yards and two touchdowns on the season. He averages 4.5 yards per carry and is also one of the Huskers' leading receivers with 161 yards and two TDs on 14 catches.

If anything, the first four games have shown that Ross is entrenched as the Cornhuskers' starting I-back.

”Those guys are two of the top freshmen I've seen at Nebraska, and they're doing a great job and pushing me to do the best I can,“ Ross said. ”I know when their opportunity comes, they'll show their abilities.“

The way Ross has been playing, it might be awhile before Lucky and Glenn get many meaningful snaps.

Ross was one of eight Big 12 backs to rush for more than 1,000 yards last season, but many recruiting analysts, media and fans trumpeted the arrival of Lucky and Glenn and pushed aside the 5-foot-6, 195-pound senior from Denver.

Ross refuses to go away.

In last week's 27-20 double-overtime win over Iowa State, Ross played the most complete game of his career. Recruited for the triple-option by Frank Solich in 2001, Ross looked like a prototypical West Coast offense running back against the Cyclones.

He caught a career-high eight passes for 131 yards and two touchdowns, including a 70-yarder off a center screen.

The Huskers ran only 25 times, but Ross had 15 of those carries for 32 yards and a TD.

Lucky and Glenn?

They're going to have to wait. Lucky has seen spot duty in each game but has only 16 carries for 43 yards. Glenn has appeared in one game and run four times for 20 yards.

”In the flow of the game you have to be able to trust guys in all areas, and Cory Ross has done it,“ Nebraska offensive coordinator Jay Norvell said. ”He's done it in big games; he's performed and produced. When we're trying to win an important football game, those are the kind of guys you ride. You ride the guys who got you there.“

Ross seems to be getting better each week, Zac Taylor said.

”He understands that he's going to be used in different ways, and if he has to block he's going to block, and we can count on him every play,“ Taylor said. ”Obviously he showed he can catch the ball, too.“

Ross said he's found happiness in coach Bill Callahan's offensive system, which relies heavily on quick, short passes.

”Not to say the option wasn't the best thing, but this shows my ability to block, run and catch the football,“ Ross said.

”That's the type of offense everyone wants to be in, especially if you want to be an NFL player.“

Catching passes allows Ross to put his elusiveness on display, he said. Plus, using Ross as a receiver forces defenses to have a linebacker cover him, a matchup that Ross likes.

”When you catch the ball, you're out of the whole crowded area of linemen, D-linemen,“ he said. ”You're almost in one-on-one situations, and those are kind of fun to be in.“

Ross said it took him some time to catch on to the West Coast system. He said the difficulty of learning the offense probably is one of the reasons why Lucky and Glenn haven't gotten more playing time.

”I was hesitant my first year in the West Coast offense,“ Ross said. ”Sometimes you're out there second-guessing yourself. Once they become comfortable, they'll be great in this offense. But it probably takes a year.“