Shawn Watson was calling the plays

I want to know who called the pass plays on 3rd and 2 and then 4th and 2. That kind of sums up this staff's inability in 2 plays.

That was big. I'd love to know what TO was thinking when they completely blew that opportunity. Stoic on the outside I'm sure, but the wheels had to be turning. Nothing ever goes right for this team.

IDK if any of you listened to the game, but if you did, they talked about how Callahan gave the play calling job to Watson, so the coaching staff is atleast trying to find a solution and work things out, maybe we should start blaming the players who cant make the plays they are supposed to .

Supposedly Callahan relinquished that power.

This is just a rumor, but supposedly Callahan was calling the plays post-halftime -- 0 points scored post-halftime.

All I can say is this: Our coaches are to blame. I'm sorry, but our players are to blame as well.

There is ABSOLUTELY no viable excuse for what we (Nebraska fans) and others around the football world have witnessed from Nebraska football. Period.

The defending of our player's poor play needs to stop. They're big boys. This isn't like criticizing a pee-wee football team's players. Most of them have their college paid for (not I, I'm paying ~$300 a month in student loans from UNL). I still had PLENTY of time to waste, or in the Nebraska Football team's players case...practice and get better. They are here to play football...plain and simple.

Either way, even the most objective observer can see that there is a problem with both our coaching and players. Whether our player's performances can be attributed to coaching...we may never know.

The one thing I do know: The recent performance of Nebraska football is unacceptable.

I think it is time for me to stop living vicariously through Nebraska football. But after all, regardless of the Webster's definition of a fan, isn't that exactly what a "fan" is?

What to do...what to do?

Perhaps....but I'd be willing to bet the farm these kids would perform much better under a different coaching staff! :)

If Callahan is letting Watson call the offensive plays so he can give more attention to the defense, does it make any sense to have Cosgrove still with the team...isn't Callahan know more for the offensive side of the ball compared to the defensive side???

GO BIG RED!!!

IDK if any of you listened to the game, but if you did, they talked about how Callahan gave the play calling job to Watson, so the coaching staff is atleast trying to find a solution and work things out, maybe we should start blaming the players who cant make the plays they are supposed to .

This is just a rumor, but supposedly Callahan was calling the plays post-halftime -- 0 points scored post-halftime.

All I can say is this: Our coaches are to blame. I'm sorry, but our players are to blame as well.

There is ABSOLUTELY no viable excuse for what we (Nebraska fans) and others around the football world have witnessed from Nebraska football. Period.

The defending of our player's poor play needs to stop. They're big boys. This isn't like criticizing a pee-wee football team's players. Most of them have their college paid for (not I, I'm paying ~$300 a month in student loans from UNL). I still had PLENTY of time to waste, or in the Nebraska Football team's players case...practice and get better. They are here to play football...plain and simple.

Believe me they're getting paid, you should talk to an ex-player sometime. Thick envelopes of "meal money" If I were paying them, they'd be fired.

This team is pathetic plain and simple.

I want to know who called the pass plays on 3rd and 2 and then 4th and 2. That kind of sums up this staff's inability in 2 plays.

Hind sight is 20/20. You cant say it was the right or wrong call. If it works...genius, if it does not... idiot. Aply for a coaching job.

Considering Castille had been having success with the run, I think you've got to go with a power run on the 3rd and 2 as well. If they'd done that and it didn't work, I wouldn't label it as a bad call.

Hind sight is 20/20. You cant say it was the right or wrong call. If it works...genius, if it does not... idiot. Aply for a coaching job.

Considering Castille had been having success with the run, I think you've got to go with a power run on the 3rd and 2 as well. If they'd done that and it didn't work, I wouldn't label it as a bad call.

Perhaps they assumed the D was looking for the short yardage run and could get a big score with the pass....it goes for a TD?? My point is, who knows...if it works your the man, if it does not..WTF.

Perhaps they assumed the D was looking for the short yardage run and could get a big score with the pass....it goes for a TD?? My point is, who knows...if it works your the man, if it does not..WTF.

I understand your point, and if the 3rd and 2 pass play worked I would still label it a poor choice. They showed during the game they could run the ball, even if the other team was expecting a run. Castille had shown he could shake off contact and power ahead. The right choice was a run, even if they were looking for it. If you want to establish the run, you gotta have some faith in your kids to make those 3rd and 2 plays, especially when you've been doing fine running the ball in the game.

I understand your point, and if the 3rd and 2 pass play worked I would still label it a poor choice. They showed during the game they could run the ball, even if the other team was expecting a run. Castille had shown he could shake off contact and power ahead. The right choice was a run, even if they were looking for it. If you want to establish the run, you gotta have some faith in your kids to make those 3rd and 2 plays, especially when you've been doing fine running the ball in the game.

I agree. Running the ball may not always work on 3rd and 2, however you should almost always run it in this situation. Give it to Castille an he'll get it mor often than not IMO.

And believe it or not, I do see your point as well. There has been many times in the course of the year that I asked myself why the Huskers did not go with what was working...a certain play or a certain player. However, there was a few times that I saw a play called theat I said WTF....and it went for some yards. Again, who knows what the thinking behind the madness is.

I do know one thing though.........its time for a change. Lets start with Coz.

Either way, even the most objective observer can see that there is a problem with both our coaching and players. Whether our player's performances can be attributed to coaching...we may never know.

The one thing I do know: The recent performance of Nebraska football is unacceptable.

I think it is time for me to stop living vicariously through Nebraska football. But after all, regardless of the Webster's definition of a fan, isn't that exactly what a "fan" is?

What to do...what to do?

Perhaps....but I'd be willing to bet the farm these kids would perform much better under a different coaching staff! :)