Husker Power?

pctopeka

I don't know if any of you other folks saw it, but the AOL home page the other day had a link to a story and picture of Bo Ruud, Corey McKeon and a couple of other players wearing Volleyball uniforms.

When I was in school at NU (many moons ago, but in Boyd Epley's full glory), NU's players were STRONG. Big arms, big necks, broad shoulders and backs, powerful legs. I played basketball at old Men's P.E. Building with many of them and these guys were incredibly strong, explosive and agile.

The players shown in the link were SMALL. They looked like high school players to me. No wonder they are getting physically dominated week in and week out.

Dedication, discipline and hard work in off-season training = reluctance to lose.

:dunno

I don't know if any of you other folks saw it, but the AOL home page the other day had a link to a story and picture of Bo Ruud, Corey McKeon and a couple of other players wearing Volleyball uniforms.

When I was in school at NU (many moons ago, but in Boyd Epley's full glory), NU's players were STRONG. Big arms, big necks, broad shoulders and backs, powerful legs. I played basketball at old Men's P.E. Building with many of them and these guys were incredibly strong, explosive and agile.

The players shown in the link were SMALL. They looked like high school players to me. No wonder they are getting physically dominated week in and week out.

Dedication, discipline and hard work in off-season training = reluctance to lose.

From what I hear the strength and conditioning program has dropped off considerably. Not to mention their performance on the field is evidence.

That, and it's Corey McKeon, the biggest joke of a Pinkshirt ever to set foot on the turf of Memorial Stadium.

X

From what I hear the strength and conditioning program has dropped off considerably. Not to mention their performance on the field is evidence.

That, and it's Corey McKeon, the biggest joke of a Pinkshirt ever to set foot on the turf of Memorial Stadium.

X

Give the guy some respect... they aren't pinkshirts... they are BlackSkirts.

here is the pic:

:w00t

here is the pic:

:w00t

Sad, but I think I could take all of them.....and that's a real joke :sarcasm:w00t

Those were probably back in the steroid days maybe. I remember when Mike Croel came to play our high school coaches in basketball after his senior year. I remember thinking to myself, wow he isn't nearly as big as I thought he would be or as ripped as I thought he would be. Make no mistake about it, we have some strong players on this team. I believe Suh bench presses somewhere around 500 pounds. IMO, the strength and condition program isn't what it once was or else we wouldn't have as many hamstring injuries and such as we do. However, this doesn't mean we don't have some studs out there. I bet you'd be surprised at how strong some of those guys are that are in that pic. Grixby has a vertical of like 3 feet or something insane like that. These guys are athletes. Scott Frost didn't have 20" pipes either, but he could still wing the shot put out there 60+ feet. Looks can be deceiving.

Those were probably back in the steroid days maybe. I remember when Mike Croel came to play our high school coaches in basketball after his senior year. I remember thinking to myself, wow he isn't nearly as big as I thought he would be or as ripped as I thought he would be. Make no mistake about it, we have some strong players on this team. I believe Suh bench presses somewhere around 500 pounds. IMO, the strength and condition program isn't what it once was or else we wouldn't have as many hamstring injuries and such as we do. However, this doesn't mean we don't have some studs out there. I bet you'd be surprised at how strong some of those guys are that are in that pic. Grixby has a vertical of like 3 feet or something insane like that. These guys are athletes. Scott Frost didn't have 20" pipes either, but he could still wing the shot put out there 60+ feet. Looks can be deceiving.

Nah, I worked out with a bunch of those guys. This was in the late 70's. They had detailed lifting schedules; weightxrepsxsets. They did all of the explosive lifts; cleans, squats, plus plyometric exercises. They also had a set diet, down to the types of food and how many grams of each they ate. Drank lots of the nasty protein drinks of the time.

500 pound bench presses mean nothing. It is the explosion that counts. Hang cleans, power cleans, snatches. These are what allowed a 5'9" guy like Tony Davis or Kenny Brown two-hand dunk over their head from a standing start.

• 2 years later...

I just got your old post via google alert, one Bo Ruud didn;t get any coaching with BC and Cosgrove, I feel bad for he has a lot of talent but never got the structure that his brother did, I know Boyd Epley via my brother in laws and he pumped peole up, I dont think that is what is done anymore, its more natural which is good but Bo was a blackshirt in every sense of the word, I think Steve peterson did more harm then anything to the program.

Kay