Danny Woodhead

jlarsan

I do beleive that UNO and UNK we offering, maybe not the full ride that Chandron gave, but no DII schools ever give full rides. While i dont know what Wyoming a Colorado States throught process was, i can kinda understand because he is an out-state kid he broke all these records, but it was in Nebraska.(Eventhough i think that if Danny would have left it open he would have gotten and offer from someone eventually, but when he committed to CSC those coaches were like Oh well why bother trying to change his mind) Frank though never gave one of the best Nebraska highschool players ever a scholarship and i dont know how Callahan and staff gave a scholarships to guys like Marque McCray and Shamus Mckoy, when they had Woodhead in there own backyard.

Having said all that i am not coming on hear to make Woodhead out to be the next Heismen winner. If he was at NU he would probably be a PR, KR and maybe splitting time with Lucky, cause Marlon is the better all around back. I just cant beleive he wasnt given a chance after what he did in HS.

He did. It's called walk on. We've had several players go through NU that were recruited and offered schollies at other programs, but they walked on at NU and eventually earned a scholly.

Part of the reason he didnt walk-on is because he dad is a teacher and his mom is a house wife who teaches piano lesson or something and he needed a full ride cause it is quite expansive to go to UNL with no help.

I just wish he would of got a shot at playing for us. I believe he would of been a great back even here.

He did. It's called walk on. We've had several players go through NU that were recruited and offered schollies at other programs, but they walked on at NU and eventually earned a scholly.

I emailed a cousin of mine who was a 3-yr starter for us as a walk-on, asking advice for my nephew

(4.34-40/ 6'0/195#) who was considering walking on, and had been to several camps back in Lincoln...He told me that there was a change in the walkon program (cutting back) and that they didn't even pursue this record breaking RB from NP (I assume it was Danny).

I don't know if you can say that. See newearth's Marlon Lucky thread.

I would if there was a search function

Why do you need a search function? It's right there on the front page labeled MARLON LUCKY.

NOW you narrow it down for me!...(thanks).

I'm used to losing threads on back pages since the onslaught..Maybe until we have search capabilities, we should post a link to referenced threads. :)

Marlon Lucky Thread

I think Danny Woodhead is a fine athlete. Remember that Chadron State is in a whole other league of competition. The size of teams and athletes in Div II or Div III is not even comparable sometimes to decent Div I teams. While Woodhead is a great running back and has done many great things, I am not sure if he would have had the same results at NU. One can only speculate but keep that in mind.

The thing that is funny about this whole thing is that Danny couldn't be more happy at Chadron State. Anyone can say whatever they want about how he would do at Div. I or look at the teams that Chadron plays. There is no comparison between Danny and Marlon Lucky. All you have to look at is who has produced with all of the hype out of high school. It doesn't matter because Nebraska didn't want him and here we are looking at this kid make history. Part of me wants to tell you that he would have been one of the better backs in Div. I but I won't because there will be the haters who say that we will never know. I do know however, because this kid has heart and athletic ability. I'm not sure that anyone on this current team has both of those things. Danny is making history so lets not knock him and say what he would or wouldn't do at Nebraska. Lets celebrate him for his accomplishments. After all he is the #1 rusher of all time.

I just wish he would of got a shot at playing for us. I believe he would of been a great back even here.

I emailed a cousin of mine who was a 3-yr starter for us as a walk-on, asking advice for my nephew

(4.34-40/ 6'0/195#) who was considering walking on, and had been to several camps back in Lincoln...He told me that there was a change in the walkon program (cutting back) and that they didn't even pursue this record breaking RB from NP (I assume it was Danny).

That's the sad thing too, it's really a bummer that guys like this were'nt given a real chance. Walk-ons were an integral part on NU football, they were guys who came out to prove something. They had to earn their spot on the team and then prove they belonged there. I think we could use some players like that, they show true desire to play, and desire can turn an average player into a good player, and a good player into a great one.

That's the sad thing too, it's really a bummer that guys like this were'nt given a real chance. Walk-ons were an integral part on NU football, they were guys who came out to prove something. They had to earn their spot on the team and then prove they belonged there. I think we could use some players like that, they show true desire to play, and desire can turn an average player into a good player, and a good player into a great one.

Plus the Desire in these guys.

In Little League out here in AZ, My nephew was an option QB dreaming of being Scott Frost or Eric Crouch.

Then switched to I-Back in High school and was a 2yr starter at the largest High school out here.

To this day, even though he now attends ASU, his answering machine message still ends with "GO HUSKERS!"

I look forward to getting the walk on program back!

i find it funny when people knock on danny for playing at the d2 level and take his accomplishments away because of the lack of talent and athletic ability he runs against. first of all, you have to take in consideration and think about the line thats blocking for him. its ability is no different than the defense on the flipside. its just a d2 line. therefore, put him at running back for a d1 team. he has a d1 line to run behind, so idk and no one knows or will ever know about how he would measure up at the d1 level but don't say he wouldn't be able to because of the talent he's playing against right now cuz thats unfair. and another thing, danny ran a 4.41 electronic 40, which i believe would rank near the top of the list for the huskers team so he was not recruited at nebraska because of his speed, but solich told him it was his lack of size, which didn't make sense because solich started 5'6 ross at rb that very year.. callahan DID have time to recruit him too btw. but i guess nebraska didn't miss out on danny because they gave other guys schollies that year that had much more of an impact for the team than danny would have.. ie. courtney grixby, tierre green, brandon gunn, robert rands etc.. but it makes sense because they put up numbers as good as or better than danny did in high school at the same class a level.. wait.. nope, they didn't. nebraska's confusing program truly missed out on this one.

I think Danny Woodhead is a fine athlete. Remember that Chadron State is in a whole other league of competition. The size of teams and athletes in Div II or Div III is not even comparable sometimes to decent Div I teams. While Woodhead is a great running back and has done many great things, I am not sure if he would have had the same results at NU. One can only speculate but keep that in mind.

Is that why writers on NFL.com are projecting Danny to be a possible 2nd Round draft pick? I'm guessing that the Bears scouts who have been out to Chadron to see him play are probably just wasting their time, because DII athletes aren't as big as DI athletes.

Now, I agree, there is no way his numbers would be the same at NU. But it is ridiculous to just pass on the kid because he plays at Chadron. The NFL certainly does not appear to be.

With Danny's success here in Chadron has us all wondering what his brother is going to do. Will he try to walk on at Nebraska, or will he come here to Chadron State? Danny has told the local media repeatedly that his brother is better than he is.

HAHA well all Danny is trying to do is talk up his little brother. Now i like Joel (danny's little brother) he wasnt even the best running back on NP team this year. There was a junoir at NP named Corey Sorrano who is 5 times better than joel and has a legit chance to go DI cause he is probably as fast or faster than Danny and is about 6-1 190 or close to this.

So to answer you question there is no way he is walking on at UNL and he might walk on at CSC