TO's trip to Austin

Shoot, I just lost about 20 minutes of post material.

Mack has said that he took an assistant's job at Iowa St. earlier in his career just to get close to Nebraska and Tom Osborne and see how things were done at NU. He has also mentioned TO and NU, several times, when describing the atmosphere that he was creating at UT.

As far as Eric's interview, he mostly commented on how things are different now. He reminisced about the physical nature of practices back in the day. They were so physical that gameday felt like a break, and therefore was fun and easy. He sounded disgusted with the "no pads in practice" theory. He said it looks very hard for the players to play a game, now. He was promoting something called the All American Football League. The shows host is Bucky Godbolt, who was on John Macovick's staff. He was the one who called "Roll Left" at the '96 B-12 championship. He recruited Ricky Williams, also, so he's pretty knowledgable on college football. They talked about how embracing traditions and former greats is the way to instill pride in current players. Eric said that he doesn't think that the current players are being told about Nebraska's past greats, and traditions. That they are not told of the importance and pride of having that "N" on your helmet. They talked about the walk-on program and how it changed and how it was a source of players who wanted to play for the University. The whole gist of the interview was things have changed, not that change is necessarily bad, but that traditions and the past should still be embraced, and it doesn't seem like these things are being embraced. So the players aren't playing football with pride, Nebraska football, and are definitely not haing any fun. Bucky noted many similarities between Callahan and Mackovick. The arrogant, condescending nature in press conferences, the stubborness to accept no responsibility when things are melting down, and the lack of emphasis on defense. Apparantly, Macovick had his knee blown out in a practice when he was standing in the wrong place on a particular play that came his way. Then a few months later, stood in the same place for the same play, in practice, and reinjured the same knee. If you get a chance, listen in the mornings online the rest of the week, all Nebraska game all the time. http://www.am1300thezone.com/main.html

Interesting thoughts on the Mackovic/Callahan comparison........ uhhh-oh. :o

I wouldn't read too much into TO staying in Austin for an extra day or so...a lot of reasons he could be doing that.

Hookers...

Now that's just plain wrong...

I think he meant he's recruiting rugby players...

A hooker in rugby is a player who hooks the ball in the front line of scrummage.

We definitely need some of those...

Of course! What could have I been thinking...

Acutally he went home and watched the volleyball game on T.V. And he was going to respond to letters written to him. Sorry, no trip to Austin.

Osborne learning about department

BY STEVEN M. SIPPLE / Lincoln Journal Star (LINK)

Tom Osborne sat and chatted with embattled Nebraska football coach Bill Callahan Wednesday morning.

It was nothing earth-shattering.

“We just talked in general,” Osborne said late Wednesday afternoon. “It’s not appropriate for me to try to intercede in anything.”

Osborne has been Nebraska’s interim athletic director for exactly one week. He’s basically in an orientation period, he said, and trying to do more listening than talking.

This much is certain: He wants to model his management style after that of former Nebraska athletic director Bob Devaney. The late Devaney was a Hall of Fame coach for the Huskers (1962-72) before working full-time as athletic director from 1967-93, serving as Osborne’s boss while Osborne strolled the sideline.

“Bob just hired people and let them do their thing,” Osborne said. “I think it’s really a mistake to try to meddle. Where you see that being done, I don’t think it usually works very well.”

Osborne chose his words carefully. The Nebraska football team (4-4, 1-3 Big 12) has lost three straight games by wide margins, and many fans assume Callahan won’t be back next season. Osborne reiterated that the fourth-year coach and his staff would be evaluated at the end of the season.

“With anything I say, I don’t want to have people assume I’m necessarily out looking for other coaches, because I’m not,” Osborne said. “I just hope we can finish strong these next four games.”

For the most part, Osborne said, he has been trying to respond to correspondence, numbering in the hundreds, if not thousands.

“I’m being inundated with a lot of mail and phone calls,” he said. “They’re mostly well-wishers. Not much negative.”

Osborne received about 50 letters Tuesday, said Randy York, Nebraska associate athletic director for communications. Osborne’s e-mail bin, of course, overflows, as did the briefcase he carried out of the Tom and Nancy Osborne Athletic Complex around 5:30 p.m. Wednesday.

He was headed home to watch Nebraska play Texas in volleyball on television. He also planned to answer some of those letters.

“You don’t want to have people feel you’re not appreciative and that you don’t care, so I’m trying to answer as many as I can,” Osborne said. “That’s taking a lot of time.”

He had a meeting with the entire athletic department — about 230 people — Tuesday morning.

“My main priority is to get around and see all of the personnel,” Osborne said. “I want to get around and see them all personally. See where they work and talk to them a little bit. I want to find out a little bit more about what they do and what kind of things they think are priorities.”

He has met individually with a few coaches and eventually wants to meet with them all.

“I think the thing I have to do right now more than anything is to listen to all of our coaches — not to tell, but to listen as carefully as I can,” he said.

Osborne was hired as interim athletic director after Steve Pederson’s firing last week. Pederson’s management style was cited as a key reason for his dismissal.

Asked how he would describe morale in the athletic department before his hiring, Osborne said, “I know there were some people struggling. I don’t know that I was around enough previously to have a real good sense of it.

“They tell me it’s better now, that things are going well. It seems like the meeting (Tuesday) generally was well-received. I tried to express an appreciation for what they do and encourage them to express appreciation to other people who work with them.

“Hopefully, we can get that turned around.”

Briefly

Osborne said he has talked to Paul Meyers about possibly returning as Nebraska’s associate athletic director for athletic development. Meyers, regarded as a key cog in NU fundraising, resigned earlier this month.

“I don’t know what his decision is, but I have an interest in Paul coming back,” Osborne said Wednesday evening.

So I have a friend that has connections to the athletic dept and told me today that TO is heading down to Austin to catch the volleyball match tonight. The thing is, he apparently isn't flying with the volleyball team but is taking a separate flight and told the dept that he wouldn't be back until Friday. Wonder what he could be doing down there until Friday? Could it be that he's planning a short trip east to Baton Rouge? Pure speculation of course, but I thought it was interesting. Could mean absolutely nothing.

Read this: http://www.journalstar.com/articles/2007/1...98431616135.txt

EDIT: opps everyone had been reading the same article I was when I posted this.... :lol:

Acutally he went home and watched the volleyball game on T.V. And he was going to respond to letters written to him. Sorry, no trip to Austin.

He was headed home to watch Nebraska play Texas in volleyball on television. He also planned to answer some of those letters.

Read that also...Myth Busted!

So much for that connection to the athletic department... :thumbs

I read that this morning as well. Looks like I'll have to stop getting tidbits of info from him. Embarrassing!

:nutz

I read that this morning as well. Looks like I'll have to stop getting tidbits of info from him. Embarrassing!

:nutz

Sounds like your friend has a future in Politics, like working in the White House and Leaking info to the press.

:wacko: