THE PROGRAM

It's my opinion that Coach Osborne wants PROGRAM guys and not just a group of guys that commit to a coach. That's why the Simi Kuli commitment is so powerful to me. Here is this legendary coach, estranged from his beloved PROGRAM for the last four years, who comes in for a week and secures a commitment from a kid who respects the PROGRAM. Thats a testament to his skills. He's still got it. I don't know the man, of coarse, but I can't think that it would bother him as much to lose a kid who commits to a group of coaches. It has been reported and I believe confirmed that the athletic department sent out a memo asking them to contact the A.D. with questions/concerns. I believe that any kids that are committed to us now that actually get in touch with Coach Osborne will at least get some peace of mind. Some commitments may even get stronger.

A few thoughts on current commits. Gray is a great kid. He seemed to tire of the recruiting process, and he was uncertain about things here. He also made it clear on the radio that he committed to our coaches, and therein was his concern. I hope that he would at least contact TO, but if he skips it and sticks with his ND commit, then I'm happy for him. He will do well.

Gabbert, Compton, and Givens also seem to be good kids who will handle this situation as tactfully as possible. It doesn't look good for us and Gabbert right now based on the portrayals in the local media and on recruiting sites, but you never know. Maybe they will all get in touch with TO. It seems like more than anything, they'd just like some peace of mind so that if they have to make other plans, they can do it objectively. Osborne will, at the least, give these recruits the information they need to know if they are reconsidering their commitments. If Gabbert and Compton end up at Missouri, it will hopefully only be because they weighed their options carefully.

I am more interested in seeing how our fan base reacts to decommits, rather than who decommits and where they go instead. I would like us and fans to handle the situation with TO style class. It will be a bitter pill to swallow, but we've got to just sit tight and hope for the best. I just hope that our fans will accept it as part of the transition we are making. Folks, its not like anyone is going behind the program's back or being deceitful on purpose. Furthermore, this situation (as I've said before) does not compare to the JF debacle of a couple years back. There's no reason for sour grapes

Trust Osborne. Be supportive of these kids. The class and dignity of our fan base as a whole has been wrongfully called into question by the local media as a result of a few folks that cannot deal with the realities of this time and place in Husker history. Handling the recruiting fallout with patience and understanding can help us maintain respect among recruits and their familes.

Kids commit and de-commit all the time. In our case I cannot blame a kid for de-committing or going soft on a commit with the possibility of changes in the near future. In fact, if a student de-commits at this time, all the better. That gives our Program a change to find a replacement.

I just do not want to see a case where one of these guys de-commits a week or two from signing day because of the change (making an assumption now) if he was unsure from the time this mess started. If someone is not sure at the moment, then de-commit. You can always re-commit later.

It is the Josh Freeman type of de-commits that I dislike.

Why would a kid commit to "the PROGRAM"? Kids come to play football, and they're attracted by the head coach, the assistants and their prospective teammates. I doubt many weigh the traditions and history of the PROGRAM, unless it's their home state. That's for the fans.

A player is here for 2-5 years and then gone. If a kid sees a team in turmoil and disarray, if he doesn't know who the coach is or his philosophy or approach to the game, I seriously doubt that he would commit anyway because of the PROGRAM.

Here's my million dollar question for Gray: If you were questioning the uncertainty around our program, why in the HELL did you commit to 1-7 Notre Dame. Let's get real. If Charlie doesn't have one heck of a turn around next year, he'll be GONE. If he commits to a coach, Notre Dame would be the last place to commit. Charlie could be back at New England before Gray ever plays one single down!

Here's my million dollar question for Gray: If you were questioning the uncertainty around our program, why in the HELL did you commit to 1-7 Notre Dame. Let's get real. If Charlie doesn't have one heck of a turn around next year, he'll be GONE. If he commits to a coach, Notre Dame would be the last place to commit. Charlie could be back at New England before Gray ever plays one single down!

Think it is costly to buy out Callahan, look at Charlie Weiss' contract. I think it would cost ND 20+ million to buy out his contract!

Yeah, but Notre Dame's pockets have virtually no bottom. When they go to a BCS bowl, they get the entire amount. They don't have to share it with the conference. Plus, they have the largest fan base in the U.S.

Actually, it is more like 30 million to buy out Weiss. I understand your point about them being independent, but they're not getting any bowl money this year, and I don't believe that they wouldn't be hurt by a 30+ million buy out.

I'm sure it would hurt. Paying out 30 million would hurt anyone. However, I wonder what the contract really says? Knowing that it's Notre Dame, I wonder if there aren't incentive clauses in there or clauses stating that if certain performances aren't met that it would be reason for dismissal. Notre Dame expectations are I would say even higher than here. If he misses two bowls in a row, maybe there are dismissal clauses in the contract?

Think it is costly to buy out Callahan, look at Charlie Weiss' contract. I think it would cost ND 20+ million to buy out his contract!

Charlie is not going anywhere and the buyout the would have to give him would hurt any program. ND will be good ......in a short while........just look what the NE pats can do........Charlie came up in that system.........ND will be top 5 in a short time maybe by next two years I can see them playing in a NC game.

Jonas can see we have a pretty deep stable of running backs....I think he committed more to Jordan than to NU program........