Husker-Texas Game on ABC-TV Sat

IraqVet3

I see that the NU-Texas game will be carried regionally by ABC-TV Saturday. Since it's a regional game, hopefully we will be spared having to listen to perennial Husker Hater Bent Pusberger spew his vitrolic garbage over the airways.

In 30 years Pusberger has never even tried to hide his partiality for one team over the other but in recent years its gotten so bad that even ABC appears to be getting ready to pull the plug on this aging gas bag. For someone who has never coached or played the game he certainly seems to offer a lot of opinions on every single naunce of the game.

While recently watching a USC contest I decided that his grandchildren must be in the will of the USC Coach since he mentioned his name at least 100 times. He called the opposition team's quarterback by the USC quarterback's name at least five times and when the other team had the ball he was still talking about the glories of the previous series of downs by USC. Strangely when USC was penalized 11 times during the game, including 4 personal fouls, Pusberger was relating his own personal experiences with the USC coach as being an outstanding leader of men on and off the field.

Pusberger sounds like he is broadcasting for a hometown high school team where his entire audience consists of fans for that school. He apparently forgets that there is a huge audience out there rooting for the other team on the field too.

Yes Husker fan, be glad this isn't a nationally broadcast game. We're going to get creamed, but at least we don't have to suffer the indignity of getting our faces rubbed in it.

For those of you who are curious as to why Pusberger hates Nebraska so much and why he saves up so much of his anger for when he does our games, you might check the old files of the Omaha World Herald for Sept 20 1986 (the 21st actually). We defeated Pusberger's alma mater Florida State that night 34-17. I'm not sure if it was the loss or the fact that he was arrested at an Omaha motel in the company of "someone." I'm sure you can find someone who can check the "morgue" files for you.

I see that the NU-Texas game will be carried regionally by ABC-TV Saturday. Since it's a regional game, hopefully we will be spared having to listen to perennial Husker Hater Bent Pusberger spew his vitrolic garbage over the airways.

In 30 years Pusberger has never even tried to hide his partiality for one team over the other but in recent years its gotten so bad that even ABC appears to be getting ready to pull the plug on this aging gas bag. For someone who has never coached or played the game he certainly seems to offer a lot of opinions on every single naunce of the game.

While recently watching a USC contest I decided that his grandchildren must be in the will of the USC Coach since he mentioned his name at least 100 times. He called the opposition team's quarterback by the USC quarterback's name at least five times and when the other team had the ball he was still talking about the glories of the previous series of downs by USC. Strangely when USC was penalized 11 times during the game, including 4 personal fouls, Pusberger was relating his own personal experiences with the USC coach as being an outstanding leader of men on and off the field.

Pusberger sounds like he is broadcasting for a hometown high school team where his entire audience consists of fans for that school. He apparently forgets that there is a huge audience out there rooting for the other team on the field too.

Yes Husker fan, be glad this isn't a nationally broadcast game. We're going to get creamed, but at least we don't have to suffer the indignity of getting our faces rubbed in it.

For those of you who are curious as to why Pusberger hates Nebraska so much and why he saves up so much of his anger for when he does our games, you might check the old files of the Omaha World Herald for Sept 20 1986 (the 21st actually). We defeated Pusberger's alma mater Florida State that night 34-17. I'm not sure if it was the loss or the fact that he was arrested at an Omaha motel in the company of "someone." I'm sure you can find someone who can check the "morgue" files for you.

Didn't he get busted drunk driving in Lincoln a couple years ago too?

I don't find Musberger biased at all.

In an effort to add some entertainment value, I think he tries to "over dramatize" at times.

As Nebraska fans, we're so biased FOR Nebraska...when we listen to someone who is even moderately objective...we think they are against, or hate Nebraska.

BTW...Brent Musberger went to Northwestern and the 1986 Nebraska-Florida State game was broadcast by Keith Jackson.

I have to be at work at 1pm till about 9:30 that night on Saturday, I guess if there are a lot of people shopping at Target during the game, I'll know we're losing badly.

I'd love to see Nebraska at least keep it close, who knows... Maybe the Cornhuskers will take all the negativity of the season and explode it onto the field. It should be interesting for sure.

I see that the NU-Texas game will be carried regionally by ABC-TV Saturday. Since it's a regional game, hopefully we will be spared having to listen to perennial Husker Hater Bent Pusberger...

Musburger does the Saturday prime-time game, so no worries.......

FWIW, here's the NU-UT broadcasting crew:

Play-by-play -- Ron Franklin

Color -- Ed Cunningham

Sideline -- Jack Arute

I have to be at work at 1pm till about 9:30 that night on Saturday, I guess if there are a lot of people shopping at Target during the game, I'll know we're losing badly.

I'd love to see Nebraska at least keep it close, who knows... Maybe the Cornhuskers will take all the negativity of the season and explode it onto the field. It should be interesting for sure.

Look at the coverage map, and you'll see an odd little donut hole in southeastern Michigan -- where I live and have taken to wearing an Appalachian State T-shirt on Saturdays. Big Ten wasteland here ...

Ordinarily, it would really tick me off that the local ABC affiliate is picking up the ESPN Classic feed of the Michigan-Minnesota game.

This year, I can live with checking the Internet now and then to see how it's going.

I have to agree with your sentiment. Last year while watching a USC game I remember thinking as often as Musberger refers to their quarterback as "John David" rather than Booty I wondered if Booty was his grandson or something. Had to have been more than half the calls. Also, yes he calls every game like it is the national championship game...and since he has no ability to keep thing in context it comes across as dis-ingenuious and fake. I have never thought he was a good broadcaster and the older he gets the more full of himself he gets, thinking people are more interested in his stories than what is going on on the field. Nebraska fans do not need stories. Most do their homework and know more about the players than the broadcasters. Even the opponents players.