Offense

I am just curious what everyone thinks about the Pistol Offense, i wasnt very impressed with it when we played Nevada, but i am watching the Nevada game right now and they announcers were just talking about it.

They were jsut talking about how its kind of a mix between the spread and the power running game. The QB lines up 3 yards behind the center (instead 5-6 yards in the traditional shotgun), this gets the QB out from under the center where he can see the field better, enabling him to make better adjustments. This short shotgun also gives the play caller the option to run almost all of the plays that a traditional spread offense can run.

In the Pistol you also line your running back up 4 yards behind the QB, letting you run more of a power I type offense with the running back running down hill when he gets the handoff, unlike in the spread when your RB gets the hand off standing next to the QB.

Just think about it, we could run the triple option outta this offense. Line the FB up next the QB fake/give on the dive and run the option, How sweet would that be. Then we could line in the same formation, motion the RB outta the back field and go four wide. So you can do so many thing outta this formation.

Also another plus about this offense is that practically no one is running this right now. The popular vote for a new offense is the spread but everyone runs the spread right now. Therefore if we go to the spread, opposing defense's will not have to adjust to us at all cause we will be running the same thing they prepared for the last week.

Just think about the 90's when we were running the option. Teams would prepare for one offense all year and then when it came time to play NU tthey would have to prepare for a completely different offense. I beleive that having an offense that is a little out of the ordinary is a great advantage because teams have to have a completely different game plan when it comes to playing this team.

I was just wondering what the consensus is on what offense would best suit the Huskers for the new coach after this one is dismissed?

I mean, personally I thought the running game before with the option offense was fine, but that it needed the addition of a thirty to forty percent mix of pass to go with it to keep defenses honest. Teams basically forced us into passing which was our weakness and we have always had a difficult time with top 10 opponents once we fell behind because of that weakness. Essentially, I'm looking for what our fans think would work best and not just the norm today of an open passing game.

We have always been a powerful, grind'em out, push'em back, and wear'em out type of football team in the past, why can we not get back to that type of football with a sufficient passing attack?

Need some help fans, tell me your thoughts.

Its a good question Coach. Obviously they say you cant win if you cant run the ball. The good teams can stop the spread offenses like Mizzou, Tech, Florida. And you have to be able to throw the ball too. I like a traditional I formation, no TE and three wide recievers (spread). The offense should be flexible, so you can use shotgun formation when needed, replace fullback with TE. I would throw the ball downfield, comeback routes, post, and mix in some quick slants when you see it's one on one. A good offense should get 70-80 plays a game. I'm all for 35 passes, 35 rushes. Balance, try to run, but be able to throw successfully when the run is stopped.

To me, the slot reciever is the toughest position on defense to cover. Who's going to stop him, a LB? No. That's a mismatch. If they use nickel, then audible and run on them.

I was just wondering what the consensus is on what offense would best suit the Huskers for the new coach after this one is dismissed?

I mean, personally I thought the running game before with the option offense was fine, but that it needed the addition of a thirty to forty percent mix of pass to go with it to keep defenses honest. Teams basically forced us into passing which was our weakness and we have always had a difficult time with top 10 opponents once we fell behind because of that weakness. Essentially, I'm looking for what our fans think would work best and not just the norm today of an open passing game.

We have always been a powerful, grind'em out, push'em back, and wear'em out type of football team in the past, why can we not get back to that type of football with a sufficient passing attack?

Need some help fans, tell me your thoughts.

Wishbone...With a few passes thrown in...

I completely disagree, TO would not dictate what offense a HC or OC would run.

Well - while I agree he won't dictate to the head coach what offense the head coach will run, it is quite likely that he'll question all candidates on what kind of offensive philosophy they have, and what base schemes they'll run. From that, he can, in fact, select the next offense for Nebraska.

I like any defense that involves a FULLback. What the Eff is an Hback.

a fullback on defense?????????

i know you meant offense, just giving you a hard time.

i like the offense that Bill Walsh ran when he had the Cornfield Backfield, back in the day.

Rathman at FB and Craig as RB, if i remember right, didnt Craig have 1000 yds rushing and recieving a couple of times?