BCS

gamecocks

But these year, we could have three teams that could be undefeated at the end of the year. They have done everything that we expect them to do by winning everygame this year. But yet one will be left out because they didn't fit into the formula quite as well as the other two did. That is the reason why the BCS sucks and we need a playoff.

The key word is could there.

I say the best solution is leave it as is and if there are undefeateds after the bowl then have them play it off.

Well that would work for this year, but what about last year when we had two one lose teams. Are we suppose to change the formula every year. I think that is ridiculous and a playoff would solve the whole thing. You keep saying that teams wouldn't play hard during the regular season but I think that a playoff would mean that we get to see some real good non-conference match-ups that we just don't see now because teams in general do not want to play difficult non-conference teams because they are afraid of a loss. You also brought up that a undefeated team in the playoffs could get upset by a two lose team and that wouldn't be fair. Again, I will respond with the fact that a team must preform its very best in every game during the season and playoffs and not just the regular season this way.

I don't see it happening. I think auburn loses to tennesse this weekend and its all cleared up anyways. They are overrated.

Do you even watch any games beside the Huskers? How can you say Auburn is overrated? They have killed almost everyone they have played. Their defense is better then both USC and Oklahoma. Their running backs are studs. Watch a game sometime dude.

• 2 weeks later...

Article which provides counter-argument against a playoff system...

By Terry Douglass from GII:

Fully realizing that I'm flying into the face of public opinion, all this incessant rambling about the need for a college football playoff and exactly how it would be administered just has to stop.

Sure, it's a good way to fill column space and/or the airwaves now that the regular season is over, but it's also extremely out of touch with reality. Agonizing over how to build the perfect playoff system is about as worthy of your time as figuring out how I'm going to spend the money from my multi-million dollar modeling contract -- ain't gonna happen.

Everyone who can't seem to live life without the perfect order of a playoff system needs to get real. The college presidents and powers that be in college football whose opinions really matter -- unlike ours -- don't want a playoff and won't vote for a playoff until they are guaranteed more money with a different system.

With that realization, why must so many good folks spend so much time griping about something they can't change? Sure, the BCS isn't a perfect system, but that's life. Nothing's perfect.

College football fans should just accept it and enjoy the game as it is, debates and all.

Tasty matchups

Speaking of the bowl season, how about some of the great matchups? Anyone who says that the only game that matters is the Orange Bowl obviously isn't a fan of college football.

Besides the USC-Oklahoma game, there are many other intriguing pairings out there to brighten our holiday season. Oklahoma State-Ohio State, Cal-Texas Tech, Purdue-Arizona State, Louisville-Boise State, Miami-Florida, Georgia-Wisconsin, Texas A&M-Tennessee, LSU-Iowa and Texas-Michigan all are worth a look. Besides, what else are we going to do in these parts, watch Nebraska play?

Heisman time

For the record, here's this year's Heisman Trophy ballot: 1, Adrian Peterson, Oklahoma; 2, Matt Leinart, Southern Cal; 3, Jason White, Oklahoma.

Great cases could also have been made for USC running back Reggie Bush, Utah quarterback Alex Smith, California running back J.J. Arrington and a host of others. In the end, no one made me say "wow" more times this season that OU's Peterson. Although he struggled against Nebraska -- the only game I saw him live -- the freshman looked fabulous in nearly every other outing, especially against Texas. Maybe not the best statistics, but in my analysis, Peterson was the country's most outstanding player.

Contact Independent sports editor Terry Douglass via e-mail at terry.douglass@theindependent.com or by phone at (308) 381-9414.

http://www.theindependent.com/stories/1209...ouglass09.shtml

• 2 weeks later...

Just when you thought the BCS was full of enough S, it could get a lot worse real soon.

Curious to see what you guys think about the prospect for using a "committee" to determine the top 2 teams..

The ideas will range from reconfiguring the formula again to ditching it and appointing a committee of athletic directors and commissioners to designate the top two teams in the nation.

story