Scenarios for a Bowl Game

LOL....to even think that NU can go to a Bowl or even deserves to is so laughable....give it up man.....!!!

"Deserves" may not be a part of the equation...... FWIW, Iowa went to the Alamo Bowl last year despite losing 5 straight conference games.

What else is there to do -- since we can't fix the problems with the team -- then to look into the bowl scenarios (as long as it's a possibility).

One other thing: A new rule this year says that all teams with a winning record (ie. 7-5) must be invited to a bowl before any 6-6 team, regardless of conference tie-ins. Sure, some 6-6 er's will get in, but not nearly as many as in years past.

No, that's not right, the Big 12 can fill it's bowls with 6-6 teams even with 7-5 teams not invited, unless you find a source that says this changed from last year.

http://www2.ncaa.org/portal/media_and_even..._6and6rule.html

Look, it seems like a reach for the Huskers to win the last 2, but KSU lost to IOWA STATE and Colorado got blown out by Missouri at home worse that Mizzou beat us in Columbia. Nebraska isn't the only team with problems.

IF Nebraska wins these two, there's a very real chance that KSU, CU, Okie State, and A&M also finish 6-6. Check out their schedules. 4 of those 5 teams will get into bowls. In this scenario, unlikely as it is, Nebraska will be the only "hot" team of the bunch.

If you want the season to just end, consider this extension to the scenario:

Osborne fires Callahan after the CU game, even with a win. Gill or Pelini is quickly named and in place for the bowl game. Two game winning streak, new coach...you think this might be interesting?

I'd prefer this over a 4-8 season.

you did a lot of work here.....kudos for that. but to be honest, i do not want to see cally take this team to a bowl game and be humiliated any further. enough is enough. just let this season die a quick death, please.

Unfortunately, I have to agree with you, Hunter.

Being embarrassed again on Nation TV is the last thing we need right now.

I hate this so much right now.

I know this season has been a nightmare for all of us but my take is Callahan and cosgrove (cosgroves name doesnt deserve a capital c) are gone no matter what happens the rest of the season so I'm rootin for us to somehow make a bowl game. The offseason is painfully long so at least a bowl game makes it somewhat shorter, the losses are painful yes, but I still love watchin Husker football no matter what so i am in no way rootin against us makin a bowl game, no matter how pathetic it may be. The perfect scenario in my opinion would be for Callahan to resign, Osborne names Shawn Watson the interim coach, Watson fires cosgrove (interim DC I have no idea!) we beat K State, beat Colorado, make a bowl game and win, Osborne hires Pelini or Gill and then maybe that coach retains Watson as OC or if not at least Watson retains some respectability and goes to another school.That would be sweet, But anyway I'm gonna go back to bed and keep dreamin now!

One other thing: A new rule this year says that all teams with a winning record (ie. 7-5) must be invited to a bowl before any 6-6 team, regardless of conference tie-ins. Sure, some 6-6 er's will get in, but not nearly as many as in years past.

No, that's not right, the Big 12 can fill it's bowls with 6-6 teams even with 7-5 teams not invited, unless you find a source that says this changed from last year.

http://www2.ncaa.org/portal/media_and_even..._6and6rule.html

Look, it seems like a reach for the Huskers to win the last 2, but KSU lost to IOWA STATE and Colorado got blown out by Missouri at home worse that Mizzou beat us in Columbia. Nebraska isn't the only team with problems.

IF Nebraska wins these two, there's a very real chance that KSU, CU, Okie State, and A&M also finish 6-6. Check out their schedules. 4 of those 5 teams will get into bowls. In this scenario, unlikely as it is, Nebraska will be the only "hot" team of the bunch.

If you want the season to just end, consider this extension to the scenario:

Osborne fires Callahan after the CU game, even with a win. Gill or Pelini is quickly named and in place for the bowl game. Two game winning streak, new coach...you think this might be interesting?

I'd prefer this over a 4-8 season.

I like this guy. Great post. I agree 100%

LOL....to even think that NU can go to a Bowl or even deserves to is so laughable....give it up man.....!!!

EVEN IF WE DO WIN AND GO TO THE BOWL GAME I DONT THINK WE WILL EXCEPT IT. WE WILL ALREADY BE PAYING OVER 3 MILLION FOR CAL'S CONTRACT. WHY WOULD WE GIVE HIM THE 50,000 DOLLAR BONUS FOR THE BOWL GAME. I HATE TO SEE US LOSE BUT WE NEED TO JUST WAIT FOR THE CU GAME TO BE OVER SO WE CAN START PREPARING FOR NEXT YEAR WITH OUR NEW COACHS.

GO BIG RED