He's the coach at Navy. Runs the triple option. I think Nebraska fans know a little about that. If you do some research on what he's accomplished, you'd want no other coach at Nebraska.

Not a Husker fan here, I'll admit. I'm a Gator fan (yeah you spanked us in the National Championship). But I've always really admired the option and how Nebraska was so successful at it. College football needs Nebraska back in the picture.

Anyway, my name is Bill, and thanks for allowing me to post my thoughts.

He's the coach at Navy. Runs the triple option. I think Nebraska fans know a little about that. If you do some research on what he's accomplished, you'd want no other coach at Nebraska.

Not a Husker fan here, I'll admit. I'm a Gator fan (yeah you spanked us in the National Championship). But I've always really admired the option and how Nebraska was so successful at it. College football needs Nebraska back in the picture.

the big thing with Paul Johnson is he'd be very disiplined as a coach and would expect the same of his players. and i'd love to have him, not because of the triple option(he runs it out of the flex doesn't he?) but the fact that he's very good at getting the most out of his players.

exactly. there those here that of course will point out, "oh yah WHO HAS NAVY BEAT?!! HUH?!?"

that's valid. but i thing the big thing is that navy has been WINNING for the past few years is story.

for thirty years, Navy was pretty much a punching bag by everyone. johnson turned the program around with what he had.

the man has proved that he can win (more so than pelini). he's got two IIA championships and he's had a good run at Navy. i believe that given the resources of that nebraska has, he could turn us around.

of course, i was also optimistic about callahan, too... so take that for what it's worth.

Paul Johnson has won everywhere he's been. If the short list is Paul Johnson, Bo Pelini, and Turner Gill, Johnson would be at the top of the list for me.

He has said repeatedly that he runs the offense he does at Navy because you have to coach to your personnel. This is a service academy, for crying out loud. He doesn't have a 5* QB with a rifle arm to throw passes with laser precision. Running the ball keeps the opposing team's time of possession down and gives Navy the best chance to win. Doubtful he would run the same thing at NU. Different personnel.

Look at what he did when he was at Hawaii. Those offenses set many team passing records that were only broken because of June Jones' "all passing all the time" offense.

Paul Johnson is a winner. Would not be disappointed at all if he is the next HC for the Huskers.

The more I read about Johnson the more I like him, even though I love Pelini too. I'd be happy with either coach. Does anyone know in what region(s) Johnson recruits best? While assistant coach hires can help to balance recruiting regions that the staff will cover, I think this is something that most fans don't consider when calling for certain coaches to take over. I assume Pelini can recruit the South as far west as Texas, Gill probably has strong relationships with HS coaches in NE and the rest of the midwest. I'm guessing Johnson has some southern contacts from his days at Georgia Southern, though he was probably just picking up the scraps that fell from the SEC table. Does anyone have more information regarding his regional background as far as where he would have contacts in recruiting?

The more I read about Johnson the more I like him, even though I love Pelini too. I'd be happy with either coach. Does anyone know in what region(s) Johnson recruits best? While assistant coach hires can help to balance recruiting regions that the staff will cover, I think this is something that most fans don't consider when calling for certain coaches to take over. I assume Pelini can recruit the South as far west as Texas, Gill probably has strong relationships with HS coaches in NE and the rest of the midwest. I'm guessing Johnson has some southern contacts from his days at Georgia Southern, though he was probably just picking up the scraps that fell from the SEC table. Does anyone have more information regarding his regional background as far as where he would have contacts in recruiting?

I believe that Navy has more players from Texas than any other state.

exactly. there those here that of course will point out, "oh yah WHO HAS NAVY BEAT?!! HUH?!?"

that's valid. but i thing the big thing is that navy has been WINNING for the past few years is story.

for thirty years, Navy was pretty much a punching bag by everyone. johnson turned the program around with what he had.

the man has proved that he can win (more so than pelini). he's got two IIA championships and he's had a good run at Navy. i believe that given the resources of that nebraska has, he could turn us around.

of course, i was also optimistic about callahan, too... so take that for what it's worth.

:bonez:hellloooo:hellloooo:bonez

"Who has Navy beat?" How about Notre Dame at Notre Dame? and Pittsburg at Pittsburg? I know they stink and are also saddled with over rated ex-NFL coaches ( Weiss and Wanstad ). Looks like there are a number of colleges making the "Lets hire a NFL guy" mistake. PJ sounds like a coach who deserves a serious look.

...T_O_B

DON'T YOU HAVE TO BE IN THE NAVAL ACADEMY TO PLAY FOR NAVY???

That is one very positive thing about his recruiting. I think he would do better at other schools.

Ever wonder why Army, Navy, and the Citidel haven't won a National Championship for over 40 years.

Navy Coach: I think you are a good fit for our football team.

5* Recruit: I think so too

Navy Coach: Well, why don't you come play for our team and you could start?

5* Recruit: I don't want to join the Navy! I want to play on Sundays in the NFL.

I'd like to see Osborne at least interview Johnson for the job. It would be interesting to see how his system would work at a school where you can get top recruits. And hey, it's the Option, baby!

no option...no johnson please

Johnson isn't just an option guy. He didn't run the option at Georgia Southern. He runs the option at Navy because that offensive scheme makes sense with the kinds of players they are able to get. He implements an offense that makes the most sense with the personel he has; so I guess you could say he's the anti-Callahan.

callahanera16, it's about time to change your screen name.

He made some strange decisions durring the Notre Dame game that confused me a bit. Like Passing the ball and on 3rd down and giving Notre Dame a chance for a punt return or block instead of running the clock out and going into OT. Course his gaffs were nothing compared to the other Headcoach across the field mistakes.