What makes a good head coach?

There has been alot of discussion lately as to why we are picking particular candidates for head coach at NU (i.e. Pelini over Gill, Gill over Pelini just to name a few) I am curious to know what kind of standards/criteria you would list as essential in picking a new head coach. What are the 'must haves'? Here are a few of my 'must haves'

*Excellent Character (vs being a 'character')

*Experience

*Has knowledge of and embraces the Culture they're going in to (Knowledge is not enough! I believe the current staff had some knowledge of our history but never really embraced the Husker culture. I really feel that Callahan had no idea what he was getting himself into when he came here.)

*Natural Motivator

*Good Communication skills (KEY!!)

*Good Strategist

*Passion for the Game

*Must wear Husker Red at all press conferences! (Just kidding! Although in my opinion, not wearing the school colors communicates to me that this person has not embraced the Husker Culture.)

There has been alot of discussion lately as to why we are picking particular candidates for head coach at NU (i.e. Pelini over Gill, Gill over Pelini just to name a few) I am curious to know what kind of standards/criteria you would list as essential in picking a new head coach. What are the 'must haves'? Here are a few of my 'must haves'

*Experience

*Has knowledge of and embraces the Culture they're going in to (Knowledge is not enough! I believe the current staff had some knowledge of our history but never really embraced the Husker culture. I really feel that Callahan had no idea what he was getting himself into when he came here.)

*Natural Motivator

*Good Strategist

*Passion for the Game

*Must wear Husker Red at all press conferences! (Just kidding! Although in my opinion, not wearing the school colors communicates to me that this person has not embraced the Husker Culture.)

I don't really think Callahan had knowledge of Nebraska history. I think that because he knows football that he knew we were a good program, but clearly he didn't spend a lot of time following college football.

I do agree that he had no idea what he was getting into when he came to NU. He had no idea of the passion and knowledge the fans have and it has haunted him for four years.

1. Thorough knowledge and love of Nebraska tradition in all facets, including the Blackshirt and Walkon traditions. I'd tentatively include the power running game in there, as I believe that is among the greatest marks of our program.

2. Excellent strategist.

3. Incredible motivator.

4. Willingness to adapt and bench starters who don't perform.

5. A straight shooter who won't dance around his failures at press conferences.

6. Experience and the ability to restore the pride of Nebraska back to us with all the power and dominance that we had for so many years. Some think this is impossible. I think I'll just wait and see.

X

*Experience

*Natural Motivator

*Good Strategist

*Passion for the Game

I guess it all comes down to one's perspective of what's really important and what is not.

1) Excellent Character: The only two coaches to have ever won a NC at the college level and a Super Bowl at the professional level had horrible character. Jimmie Johnson landed Miami with NCAA sanctions and probation. He left Oklahoma State in trouble. He's an alcoholic. Barry Switzer's character isn't exactly what I'd call excellent either. Both him and Jimmie are cheaters, but they both knew how to win and did a lot of it. So, excellent character all comes down to one's perspective.

2) Experience: I guess that depends on how deep you look. If you're simply talking HC experience, then what do you say about TO, Bob Stoops, Mangino, etc.? I can give you examples of horrible HC's with lots of experience (Stache).

3) Embracing Culture: While this is important to the fanbase, I don't think it has much merit with incoming recruits. Does anyone here really think LP came here because of NU's tradition and history?

4) Motivator: It goes without saying that any great leader must also be a great motivator.

5) Communication Skills: Without excellent communication skills, you will never be able to relay to people want you want to accomplish. Not only is this vital for a HC, it's also vital for anyone in any kind of administrative position. Companies fail all the time because the leader has poor communication skills.

6) Strategist: In order to win games with lesser talent, the coach has got to be an excellent "chess" player. We've seen it many times when the lesser team wins the game. I saw Snyder out coach one of his ex. assistants terribly in a Big 12 Championship game. It's a must here at NU because we don't always get the "best" talent.

7) Passion: Most of the coaches out there have this. If they didn't, they'd find a different line of work. IMO, even Clownahan has passion for the game.

8) Husker Red: I think if it keeps harmony within the fanbase, then by all means wear husker red. I just don't think it's essential to being a great coach.

The one I would like to add is Spontaneous. A great coach must be able to be spontaneous meaning that once he sees and recognizes something he can grab a drawing board and make a new strategy or play to exploit something. Vision. He must be able to recognize tendancies of the other team. Trust or Faith. A great HC has to be a delegater. He must delegate jobs and authority to his coordinators and then have the trust or faith in them to get the job done.

My definition of a good head coach is Coach Taylor from Friday Night Lights. Why don't we just hire Kyle Chandler to play Coach Taylor and have the FNL writers write some passionate pregame and halftime speeches for him. Then let the assistant coaches handle the football stuff. I'm becoming convinced that Pete Carroll couldn't coach himself out of a box, but he's a "rah-rah" guy that surrounds himself with good assistants. Okay, so I'm only half-serious about hiring Kyle Chandler, but we clearly need someone who can motivate and develop players.

*Experience

*Natural Motivator

*Good Strategist

*Passion for the Game

I guess it all comes down to one's perspective of what's really important and what is not.

1) Excellent Character: The only two coaches to have ever won a NC at the college level and a Super Bowl at the professional level had horrible character. Jimmie Johnson landed Miami with NCAA sanctions and probation. He left Oklahoma State in trouble. He's an alcoholic. Barry Switzer's character isn't exactly what I'd call excellent either. Both him and Jimmie are cheaters, but they both knew how to win and did a lot of it. So, excellent character all comes down to one's perspective.

2) Experience: I guess that depends on how deep you look. If you're simply talking HC experience, then what do you say about TO, Bob Stoops, Mangino, etc.? I can give you examples of horrible HC's with lots of experience (Stache).

3) Embracing Culture: While this is important to the fanbase, I don't think it has much merit with incoming recruits. Does anyone here really think LP came here because of NU's tradition and history?

4) Motivator: It goes without saying that any great leader must also be a great motivator.

5) Communication Skills: Without excellent communication skills, you will never be able to relay to people want you want to accomplish. Not only is this vital for a HC, it's also vital for anyone in any kind of administrative position. Companies fail all the time because the leader has poor communication skills.

6) Strategist: In order to win games with lesser talent, the coach has got to be an excellent "chess" player. We've seen it many times when the lesser team wins the game. I saw Snyder out coach one of his ex. assistants terribly in a Big 12 Championship game. It's a must here at NU because we don't always get the "best" talent.

7) Passion: Most of the coaches out there have this. If they didn't, they'd find a different line of work. IMO, even Clownahan has passion for the game.

8) Husker Red: I think if it keeps harmony within the fanbase, then by all means wear husker red. I just don't think it's essential to being a great coach.

The one I would like to add is Spontaneous. A great coach must be able to be spontaneous meaning that once he sees and recognizes something he can grab a drawing board and make a new strategy or play to exploit something. Vision. He must be able to recognize tendancies of the other team. Trust or Faith. A great HC has to be a delegater. He must delegate jobs and authority to his coordinators and then have the trust or faith in them to get the job done.

That, and a pair of testicles.