This is why Gill is even on the list.

First off, we don't even know for sure Gill is even on Osborne's short list. TO might think that Gill isn't right for the job, and may only give him a courtesy call or interview. Our list, and sports writers' lists, really mean nothing. So while "we" may be talking all about Turner and Bo, Osborne may have an entirely different list based on what he knows, which is a lot more than us.

Likewise, we don't know who is on A&M's list, or SMU, or wherever. Gill may be at the top, and their fans may not know it because they don't really know him. So it's all speculation that we're the only ones interested in Gill.

Reasons why Gill might be on our list and not others'.

1) We'd be pretty certain he'd take it. Why go after someone who's not interested? We blew a lot of time last time on people not interested.

2) He'd be very likely to stay. We don't really want someone using this as a stepping stone to another job. It'd be nice to hire a coach and have him stay for 25 years if he's successful.

3) He's a known quantity to us. To the rest of the country, he's a second year MAC coach with limited success so far. We understand better than most outside of the MAC where he's taken Buffalo from. Maybe in two years he'll have Buffalo undefeated in the MAC and everyone will want him, but right now we have the inside info. We know the person, as opposed to maybe finding out a Steve Kragthorpe may have had success at Boise St because of his assistants, like Louisville may be finding out.

4) He'll have a comfort zone in Lincoln. He knows (I assume) that he'll like Lincoln since I assume he did before. He knows the facilities, the media, the high school coaches in the state, has friends, etc. All this means he can hit the ground running, as opposed to someone who may have to adjust to life in Lincoln and may get off on the wrong foot somehow, or find that this isn't really what they expected. A happy coach with a happy family will have a better chance at success.

He's still got to be the right man for the job, but I think Turner has a better chance of success here than say, Michigan if Carr leaves.

Yes Turner Gill is doing a good job at Buffalo but that does not mean he is ready to take over as head coach at NU. Maybe in a few years but definitely not right now. I will be so ****ed if we hire him right now (unless he wins a Big XII championship his first year, then I'll be extremely happy).

thats kinda a fair-weather idea isnt it?

So a True Fan™ would stick with his initial reaction of being pissed if he won the Big 12? Or would a True Value Fan™ be happy even if he thought the coach was a bad choice? Is it changing his mind about a coach's ability that makes him fair weather or the fact that he wouldn't be mad if NU won under him? Golly, being a Truly Life Bestest Fan™ is hard!

where is it written that we have to have a 'family' member be HC? Ugh!!!

I would think T.O. would go after the best possible person available however what if he does not want us. Thought about that? What if T.O. doesn't let BC go? Thought about that?

This isn't the dream job we, as fans, think it is.

I do not see TO keeping BC. Especially when BC is so unwilling or unable to make the changes necessary to correct the deficiencies.

:sarcasm

Who else is approaching Gill? Sure, you could use that as logic. But I dont think the next Nebraska football coach will be decided by what the nation views as popular or "in".

Osborne will make a decision that best fits Nebraska......... with no regard for what others think about the situation.

I think T.O. may have a preference for Turner Gill. But only time will tell.

Exactly. And I hope that's what we all want as well - what's best for Nebraska.