The excuses don't add up

I know you guys think I'm just the naysayer here, but this needs to be said. I didn't agree with the coaching change, but it happened. I didn't agree with hiring Callahan, or not keeping Pelini on as DC, but it happened. There's nothing that could be done about that. All we could do is move forward and try to win.

But our coaches didn't do that this year, fellas. The excuses about being a rebuilding year, having new coaches, running a new scheme....they can only take you so far. 3 losses, maybe. 4 losses and you're really pushing it. But 6 losses with this schedule and this team back is absolutely inexcusable. Before the excuses come in to answer this post, let me state my position clearly: no matter what anyone tries to say, THIS WAS NOT A 5-6 TEAM!!!! It happened because the coaches treated this like a big experiment, a throw-away year. Rather than work with what they had, they changed over to the new system in one sweeping motion. They have the NFL mentallity, where 6 losses don't mean anything. And you can hear it in Callahan's voice in every interview. He didn't give a crap about this team. All he cared about was getting his recruits in here to run his offense and show what he can do. That's fine, I know that's his job. But to me it seems like he owed something to this team and to the state to do his best with what he inherited and get as many wins as possible and he did not do that. The only teams on our schedule that were more talented than us were Oklahoma and maybe Kansas State. But we managed to lose 6 games.

I was at the game on Saturday. Every time we blitzed it was an incomplete pass or a short gain. But we didn't blitz that often. Why in the world is this loser running our defense? But I digress. The bottom line is Callahan let us all down. I realize he'll be here for a while, but he owes everyone, especially the outgoing seniors, and apology for the disgrace he presided over this season. This doesn't even compare to the 7-7 disaster. That season the players were fighting and you could tell the coaches were doing their best to turn it around. They had passion and were hurting right along with the players and the fans. Again I argue that Callahan only cared about the way things went this season as far as how much pressure it would put on him in coming seasons. Pedersen has ripped the sould out of this program and it will take years to get it back, if ever.

Folks we have to move on. Lets's be progressive for once in this state. Callahan is human. He's trying to look at the bright side, if there is one. Regardless, he's right. His priority is recruiting. He needs to get his type of players in here. He needs a different football player. You can have the greatest playbook in the world, but until you get that one class of players you won't win. Just ask Osborne. As I said, Solich would have won 1 or 2 more games. But we never would have gotten any better. Last year in recruiting, on this board we were hollering about losing 3 star players and the sort. Now we are getting 5 star guys. Some will say these services are meaningless, yes, to a point. The lower ranked athletes are a crap shoot, but the higher ranked 4/5 star are a pretty good bet to make an impact.

Last year Solich had a shot at a few nice players, i.e. Tommy Zibakowski. Well Solich couldn't close the deal. Now as a soph, he starts for the Irish. Two years ago, Solich had A.J. Hawk, now starting for the Ohio St at MLB, It was down to OSU and the Huskers and Solich couldn't close the deal. This coaching staff can. I have noted many times that when someone commit, look at the teams NU has beaten out. OU, USC, and Texas are just a few to feel the affects of the new staff.

This year is the lowest of the low. I feel it will not get any worse than this. How could it? There were too many immature players this year who "didn't buy into the system." Well that's crap. Grow up and move on. There are plenty of hungry players on the side who take pride in wearin the "N". Step aside and let them in. There's nothing anybody could do if an athlete simply doesn't want to play. We didn't have the depth we had in the past, thanks to Solich, an awful recruiter and other scholarship rules.

It's going to change. It's going to get better. Give it a year or two. The Huskers will be back.

I would agree that at times it seemed like Callahan viewed this as a sort of throw away season, but the one wrinkle in my mind is Joe Dailey. Callahan and Norvell have invested a lot of time and effort into that kid. Why would they do that if they viewed the whole season as a throw away? Why not just throw him to the side and start working with Beau Davis, who is more of a pure passer and more adept to their system?

I think the factor that is being left out here is the fact that maybe, after all that has gone on in their tenure here at NU, some of the seniors just didn't care much anymore. Sure you had your bright spots but especially with Sievers comments about players not buying into Cosgroves system you have to wonder if some players just didn't give a crap anymore. I saw it more than once in the Colorado game. For one, when they threw their first TD pass McPherson was just standing there next to the reciever. Didn't try to break up the pass or anything. It seemed to be an extreme lack of effort that would be consistent with just not caring anymore.

Given that, it isn't surprising that the defense fell off this year. How can they perform well if a good chunk would just as well be sitting at home watching the game on TV?

Also, to compare apples to apples, this team may have been better than 5-6 under Solich and the option. But Callahan isn't Solich AND the option. If anything it shows that they key position players recruited by Frank were for their abilities in the option, not the WCO. At certain positions, Callahan and Co. have had to fit square pegs in round holes.

As far as the offense, Callahan did cut down the offense quite a bit this year. If you look at the plays and the motion we ran during the WI game and then you look at the plays we ran vs CU I think it is obvious. Ross started getting the ball A LOT more towards the last half of the season.

On a side note, Dailey went 11 of his last 12 vs CU and ended up passing for 306 yards. 29/55 for the day. That didn't get us the win, but I think it shows that Joe is coming along, but very very slowly. He will have to put up or shut up in next year that's for sure.

That being said, BRING ON SPRING BALL!!!! :)

I still don't buy that only Oklahoma and K-State are the only teams on the schedule with more talent then us. I would say Tech has more talent then we do. Mizzou and Colorado have just as much talent as we do. I don't know why this is hard for people to admit.

Look at the starters on both sides of the ball and how many of those guys start for any team in the South besides Baylor? The O-Line and D-line were the worst in years(if not ever). Two thirds of the linebacking core were average at best. Rudd can't defend the pass. Maybe it's the scheme but Fabian looks soft and the Bullocks take the worst angles when trying to tackle the ball carriers. How many times on Friday did they both bite on the play-action fake? Lornell couldn't beat out Ricketts. Our placekickers aren't very good. The punt returner is terrible. Besides Ross who on the offense would start anywhere in the Big 12? Kriewald and Nunn maybe.

I personally think callahan didn't even care if we won. Why put pressure on himself and have a good year like 9 wins and try to have to beat that. Now he can get 6 or 7 wins next year and boy are we improving. You could tell after the cu game that he didn't even care we loss or weren't going to a bowl.

I personally think callahan didn't even care if we won. Why put pressure on himself and have a good year like 9 wins and try to have to beat that. Now he can get 6 or 7 wins next year and boy are we improving. You could tell after the cu game that he didn't even care we loss or weren't going to a bowl.

Yeah I'm sure he justed tanked this season to make it look better in the long run. :wacko: Did Osborne or Solich show emotion at press conferences after games? I'm sure what he does in front of the media is a little different then what he does behind closed doors.

I personally think callahan didn't even care if we won.  Why put pressure on himself and have a good year like 9 wins and try to have to beat that.  Now he can get 6 or 7 wins next year and boy are we improving.  You could tell after the cu game that he didn't even care we loss or weren't going to a bowl.

Yeah I'm sure he justed tanked this season to make it look better in the long run. :wacko: Did Osborne or Solich show emotion at press conferences after games? I'm sure what he does in front of the media is a little different then what he does behind closed doors.

hell yes they did. If we lost a game, you could see it with tom and frank. They were very upset and sad about it. You could see the frustration in their face. They felt it just like every other husker fan out there. Now callahan he comes in smiling blah blah saying things and smirking and how ohhhhh we ran for 200 yards didn't we against okie. Well 50 came on the last play and we got killed.

I still don't buy that only Oklahoma and K-State are the only teams on the schedule with more talent then us. I would say Tech has more talent then we do. Mizzou and Colorado have just as much talent as we do. I don't know why this is hard for people to admit.

Look at the starters on both sides of the ball and how many of those guys start for any team in the South besides Baylor? The O-Line and D-line were the worst in years(if not ever). Two thirds of the linebacking core were average at best. Rudd can't defend the pass. Maybe it's the scheme but Fabian looks soft and the Bullocks take the worst angles when trying to tackle the ball carriers. How many times on Friday did they both bite on the play-action fake? Lornell couldn't beat out Ricketts. Our placekickers aren't very good. The punt returner is terrible. Besides Ross who on the offense would start anywhere in the Big 12? Kriewald and Nunn maybe.

I think we had more talent than anyone we played besides okie this year. Texas tech don't have that much talent, how many of those guys you think will make the pros? Not very many I'll tell you that. They just excute and have a good offensive coach in leach.

I still don't buy that only Oklahoma and K-State are the only teams on the schedule with more talent then us.  I would say Tech has more talent then we do.  Mizzou and Colorado have just as much talent as we do. I don't know why this is hard for people to admit.

Look at the starters on both sides of the ball and how many of those guys start for any team in the South besides Baylor?  The O-Line and D-line were the worst in years(if not ever).  Two thirds of the linebacking core were average at best.  Rudd can't defend the pass.  Maybe it's the scheme but Fabian looks soft and the Bullocks take the worst angles when trying to tackle the ball carriers.  How many times on Friday did they both bite on the play-action fake?  Lornell couldn't beat out Ricketts. Our placekickers aren't very good.  The punt returner is terrible.  Besides Ross who on the offense would start anywhere in the Big 12?  Kriewald and Nunn maybe.

I think we had more talent than anyone we played besides okie this year. Texas tech don't have that much talent, how many of those guys you think will make the pros? Not very many I'll tell you that. They just excute and have a good offensive coach in leach.

How many of these current Huskers will make the pros?

I personally think callahan didn't even care if we won.  Why put pressure on himself and have a good year like 9 wins and try to have to beat that.  Now he can get 6 or 7 wins next year and boy are we improving.  You could tell after the cu game that he didn't even care we loss or weren't going to a bowl.

hell yes they did. If we lost a game, you could see it with tom and frank. They were very upset and sad about it. You could see the frustration in their face. They felt it just like every other husker fan out there. Now callahan he comes in smiling blah blah saying things and smirking and how ohhhhh we ran for 200 yards didn't we against okie. Well 50 came on the last play and we got killed.

Whatever, Frank would sit there with the same stone face that he had no matter what. Win or Lose. The only time he should any expression was last year against Colorado because he thought he saved his job.

I still don't buy that only Oklahoma and K-State are the only teams on the schedule with more talent then us.  I would say Tech has more talent then we do.  Mizzou and Colorado have just as much talent as we do. I don't know why this is hard for people to admit.

Look at the starters on both sides of the ball and how many of those guys start for any team in the South besides Baylor?  The O-Line and D-line were the worst in years(if not ever).  Two thirds of the linebacking core were average at best.  Rudd can't defend the pass.  Maybe it's the scheme but Fabian looks soft and the Bullocks take the worst angles when trying to tackle the ball carriers.  How many times on Friday did they both bite on the play-action fake?  Lornell couldn't beat out Ricketts. Our placekickers aren't very good.  The punt returner is terrible.  Besides Ross who on the offense would start anywhere in the Big 12?  Kriewald and Nunn maybe.

How many of these current Huskers will make the pros?

d bullocks, j bullocks, fabian, ruud, kriewald, ross, carricker,herian, thomas.

I'm sure some others will but I think these will for sure if they choose to. Carriker is young but he has the possiblities to if he can stay healthy.