Your opinion of...

What does the Husker Nation think of Turner Gill as the next head coach.  

61 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

I have to think that Turner Gill is the likely next head coach at the University of Nebraska. I'm sure there are at least a few others that are right up there as well, but I wanted to see what the Husker Nation felt about Turner Gill.

I like gill. I think there are better options, but I would not cry to see him back here

Well, it seems to me that what Nebraska needs is a proven head coach. A head coach that has shown improvement in whatever programs he has helmed - I particularly like those that have done that with what can only be considered inferior talent. Gill fits that bill.

However, there are others out there that have done it better, for longer. I am one that likes Paul Johnson - not because of the offense he runs, but because he's taken a program that has either no, or almost no, D-1 talent, yet has both improved the team and has beaten actual D-1 teams (the service academies are not, in reality, D-1 schools in terms of their enrollment criteria and limitations, not to mention the "out of football" time commitments that the players have).

I am against giving the position to any coordinator. Why? Well, primarily because we have to rebuild the program in a number of ways. You need someone that has experience in addressing all those areas.

Take Bo, for example. An excellent coordinator? No doubt. But he has no experience in all the facets that a head coach must address. Does that mean he can't do it, or lacks the skills? Nope - but he hasn't done it to date. He could turn out to be just perfect for NU. But, again, I think we need someone who has had to coordinate recruiting, oversee both the offense and defense - and special teams. Someone that knows how to evaluate assistants and knows how to hire and fire them when the time comes. Someone that has been responsible for outreach programs to the community. Someone that has been used to looking at the entire program, and not one facet of it.

I just think that, at this point in time, we need someone that is already proven in handling all areas of a program.

Well, it seems to me that what Nebraska needs is a proven head coach. A head coach that has shown improvement in whatever programs he has helmed - I particularly like those that have done that with what can only be considered inferior talent. Gill fits that bill.

However, there are others out there that have done it better, for longer. I am one that likes Paul Johnson - not because of the offense he runs, but because he's taken a program that has either no, or almost no, D-1 talent, yet has both improved the team and has beaten actual D-1 teams (the service academies are not, in reality, D-1 schools in terms of their enrollment criteria and limitations, not to mention the "out of football" time commitments that the players have).

I am against giving the position to any coordinator. Why? Well, primarily because we have to rebuild the program in a number of ways. You need someone that has experience in addressing all those areas.

Take Bo, for example. An excellent coordinator? No doubt. But he has no experience in all the facets that a head coach must address. Does that mean he can't do it, or lacks the skills? Nope - but he hasn't done it to date. He could turn out to be just perfect for NU. But, again, I think we need someone who has had to coordinate recruiting, oversee both the offense and defense - and special teams. Someone that knows how to evaluate assistants and knows how to hire and fire them when the time comes. Someone that has been responsible for outreach programs to the community. Someone that has been used to looking at the entire program, and not one facet of it.

I just think that, at this point in time, we need someone that is already proven in handling all areas of a program.

Perfectly said.

Perfectly said.

Turner Gill was a great quarterback, a wonderful assistant coach at NU, and a wonderful example and leader for the kids in our program. He is really doing a great job in Buffalo and developing quite a following there. He is experiencing a high degree of success. My opinion is that he should stay there and continue what he has started. I respect him too much to put him in the high pressure job at Nebraska, a position that if one fails is skewered beyond reason.

Perfectly said.

Turner Gill was a great quarterback, a wonderful assistant coach at NU, and a wonderful example and leader for the kids in our program. He is really doing a great job in Buffalo and developing quite a following there. He is experiencing a high degree of success. My opinion is that he should stay there and continue what he has started. I respect him too much to put him in the high pressure job at Nebraska, a position that if one fails is skewered beyond reason.

:yeah:yeah:yeah

Thats what I am worried about if he fails what would people say about him.. Too nice of a guy to see that happen to him.. Stay in Buffalo finish what he started down the road we can see where were at..

If Callahan is replaced I would be more than overjoyed to see Mr. Gill back. Ther eis no other Husker I admire more than him. Except it being Tom and Bob (uhh not the radio hosts)

He would bring with him experience, ability and desire. He is as fine a person for young men to emulate. Clear headed and believes in a higher authority in making his path in life.

Tom had no Head Coaching experience when he started. I think Turner has more than enough experience and I also feel he would surround himself with the capable Coaching staff around him to make it work.

Anyone who has ever seen Turner around young recruits knows he will talk more than the NFL, and more than winning. I know that hurts some. Since to some winning is everything, nothing else matters no matter what it takes.

Turner getting the Husker Head Coaching would be his pinnacle of success. I can see him here forever. Not sure I can say that about anyone else.