Osborne - no decision has been made

np_husker

LINCOLN, Neb. -- Nebraska interim athletic director Tom Osborne wants to quash speculation that he's already made a final decision on coach Bill Callahan.

Osborne said Thursday he has not.

He plans to meet with Callahan and the rest of the coaching staff Nov. 24, the day after Nebraska plays at Colorado.

"We want to make sure we've had adequate input from everybody," he said. "We've got seven or eight days before the Colorado game. That's why it would be foolish to make a decision before all the data is in."

Callahan signed a new five-year contract in September, but that was before the firing of athletic director Steve Pederson and the arrival of Osborne. Callahan's job status has come into question as Nebraska has struggled after reaching the Big 12 championship game last year.

The Cornhuskers, whose defense is one of the worst in the country, ended a five-game losing streak last week with a 73-31 victory over Kansas State. Nebraska (5-6) must beat Colorado to become bowl-eligible.

When Osborne replaced Pederson last month, he said he would wait until after the season to evaluate Callahan.

"There never was any confusion between me and the coaching staff on when the end of the season was," Osborne said. "I don't say one thing and do another."

Osborne repeats no decision made on Callahan

Associated Press

Updated: November 15, 2007, 4:36 PM ET

LINCOLN, Neb. -- Nebraska interim athletic director Tom Osborne wants to quash speculation that he's already made a final decision on coach Bill Callahan.

He plans to meet with Callahan and the rest of the coaching staff Nov. 24, the day after Nebraska plays at Colorado.

"We want to make sure we've had adequate input from everybody," he said. "We've got seven or eight days before the Colorado game. That's why it would be foolish to make a decision before all the data is in."

Callahan signed a new five-year contract in September, but that was before the firing of athletic director Steve Pederson and the arrival of Osborne. Callahan's job status has come into question as Nebraska has struggled after reaching the Big 12 championship game last year.

The Cornhuskers, whose defense is one of the worst in the country, ended a five-game losing streak last week with a 73-31 victory over Kansas State. Nebraska (5-6) must beat Colorado to become bowl-eligible.

When Osborne replaced Pederson last month, he said he would wait until after the season to evaluate Callahan.

"There never was any confusion between me and the coaching staff on when the end of the season was," Osborne said. "I don't say one thing and do another."

Associated Press

Updated: November 15, 2007, 4:36 PM ET

I really hope that this is just window dressing on TO's part because I can't think of one thing that still needs to be evaluated with this coaching staff. I love TO and respect him a great deal, but I would lose all respect for him if keeps this coaching staff the way it is because it would mean that he has accepted this program for what it has become, mediocre at best.

Dr. Tom, Dr. Tom!! Don't get cold feet now. Repeat after me, "We've got to clean house. We've got to clean house. We've got to clean house. Callahan's a loser. Callahan's a loser. Callahan's a loser. We need a new head coach. We need a new head coach. We need a new head coach."

Now keep repeating that until you can say it to the press.

ESPN

Associated Press

So what "data" do they need to feed into the "Tomputer" that isn't already there? A win at CU and Bowl invite = they get to stay?

He said they'll meet after the CU game so apparently a bowl invite is not an issue, which would imply the performance at that game is the deciding factor ... or he could just not be telling the truth and feel that cutting him mid-season would be too much of a distraction to the team to do any good.

:bonez:hellloooo:hellloooo:bonez

This is rapidly becoming a non-issue. TO has said he would evaluate at the end of the season, whether that is the day after the CU game or sometime after that is of no consequence. If Cally is gone, and I do think he will be, then we will begin to rebuild this coaching staff at that time. To have let him go at any point prior to the end of the season would have set a precedent that would not speak well for this program in the mind of any prospective coach. When Cally was hired it took some time because there were coaches that did not want the job. Hard to believe, great record, great tradition, great (sometimes debatable) fans and great facilities but at least two and possibly three coaches said no to Nebraska. We don't want that to happen again.

...T_O_B

:bonez:hellloooo:hellloooo:bonez