DAMN THE MAN

OnTheEdge

This rivalry died in 1988 when Switzer left OU. Watching OU vs NU now just isn't the same without Barry and Tom on the sidelines. Wishbone vs I was what it was all about.

Thats funny since neither T.O. or Switzer was the head coach of their respective team in the game of the Century.

Let just say most of the time either team could have won if the ball bounced their way, and the games were exciting.

Where Michigan and Ohio St were playing for the Rose bowl Nebraska and Oklahoma were usually playing for the right to play for the national title. It's still funny that the big ten and pac ten teams still claim they rather play in the rose Bowl then the NC game.

This rivalry died in 1988 when Switzer left OU. Watching OU vs NU now just isn't the same without Barry and Tom on the sidelines. Wishbone vs I was what it was all about.

Thats funny since neither T.O. or Switzer was the head coach of their respective team in the game of the Century.

I said that was when the rivalry died. What the heck does that have to do with Bud or Bob?

Let just say most of the time either team could have won if the ball bounced their way, and the games were exciting.

Where Michigan and Ohio St were playing for the Rose bowl Nebraska and Oklahoma were usually playing for the right to play for the national title. It's still funny that the big ten and pac ten teams still claim they rather play in the rose Bowl then the NC game.

:clap:corndance:yeah

:bonez:bonez:hellloooo:hellloooo:bonez:bonez

See my thread "The Big 12 done us wrong".

We are on the same page dude.

The crap that we were forced into by Texas, Texas A&M, Texas Tech, and Baylor is inexcuseable.

I know the Red River Shootout betweem UT and OU is a big game but no one ever called it the "Game of the Century" and the '71 game between OU and UNL still stands as one of the greatest college football games of all time. The Big 12 screwed the Big 8 and in so doing screwed Nebraska and Oklahoma. From what I hear people in both OK and NE feel this way by an overwhelming margin. Let the Texas schools go to blazis' bring back the "Big Eight"!!!

...T_O_B

:bonez:bonez:hellloooo:hellloooo:bonez:bonez

In '71 Sports Illustrated called it the Game of the Century and had the headline "Immoveable Object meets Irresistable Force" in their story. But it wasn't just '71, it was every year. The hardest hitting football you will see.

Actually Raw the headline was Irresitible Oklahoma meets Immoveable Nebraska.

The Michigan/Ohio State Rivalry can only edge the NU/OU rivalry in length.

2006 was the first time in their series that both teams were ranked 1 and 2. Only three times have both teams been undefeated.

Rarely did the Michigan/Ohio State game have National Championship implications, since the 70's the NU/OU has about 12 games that decided the pairings in the NC game.

Thanks for the correction. I was flying blind but my memory didn't completely let me down. The point that another poster made that Ohio State/Michigan played for the Rose Bowl and NE and OU were playing for the national championship every year sums it all up. And that game in 71 has been voted time after time as the greatest game ever played. Eventually another one will over take it but for those of us who were impressionable teenagers at the time there was nothing like it. A great era and great football.

Juxtapose that with what Colorado has accomplished over the years in college football. True they had their day in the sun but then they ruined it all with scandal. They had a quarterback who died of cancer, I think, and of course that was a tragedy. We all felt genuinely terrible about that. But not surprisingly the school shamelessly kept bringing that tragedy up for two or more years as a way of motivating their players....all for the sake of a win. You never heard anything close to that out of Nebraska after Brook Berringer died but it seemed Colorado took the death of that gifted athlete and father, it turned out, and turned it into a pep rally every week for two years. To be so disrespectful to his family was sickening to me. To imply his life meant nothing more than a football game....is deplorable and shameful. I have never had the slightest wisp of respect for the University of Colorado after that.

In '71 Sports Illustrated called it the Game of the Century and had the headline "Immoveable Object meets Irresistable Force" in their story. But it wasn't just '71, it was every year. The hardest hitting football you will see.

2006 was the first time in their series that both teams were ranked 1 and 2. Only three times have both teams been undefeated.

Rarely did the Michigan/Ohio State game have National Championship implications, since the 70's the NU/OU has about 12 games that decided the pairings in the NC game.

Thanks for the correction. I was flying blind but my memory didn't completely let me down. The point that another poster made that Ohio State/Michigan played for the Rose Bowl and NE and OU were playing for the national championship every year sums it all up. And that game in 71 has been voted time after time as the greatest game ever played. Eventually another one will over take it but for those of us who were impressionable teenagers at the time there was nothing like it. A great era and great football.

Juxtapose that with what Colorado has accomplished over the years in college football. True they had their day in the sun but then they ruined it all with scandal. They had a quarterback who died of cancer, I think, and of course that was a tragedy. We all felt genuinely terrible about that. But not surprisingly the school shamelessly kept bringing that tragedy up for two or more years as a way of motivating their players....all for the sake of a win. You never heard anything close to that out of Nebraska after Brook Berringer died but it seemed Colorado took the death of that gifted athlete and father, it turned out, and turned it into a pep rally every week for two years. To be so disrespectful to his family was sickening to me. To imply his life meant nothing more than a football game....is deplorable and shameful. I have never had the slightest wisp of respect for the University of Colorado after that.

What a load of crap, and I apologize now to staff here on this site. I was a freshman at CU in 1990 and no one ever mentioned Sal Aunese that year. Perhaps in '89 it might have guided them, but christ, that was the year he ACTUALLY FRIGIN DIED!!!!! I cannot believe you would even bring him up, the only thing that is shameful is you dragging him up out of the grave over this discussion. Shame on you sir!!!!

If you have been watching TV lately and have HBO you may have noticed the "Michigan vs Ohio State" TV special. They have been running it a lot lately. Anyway, it recaps the entire series even back to the beginning of the rivalry (when Ohio stole land from Michigan).

The reason I bring this up is because I was too young to live through the OU vs NU days... All I have had is the once every couple years game, and the piss-pour excuse for a rivalry with CU.

How great was our rivalry with OU? I mean really -- unbiased -- was it bigger than Michigan vs. Ohio State?

DAMN THE MAN FOR RUINING OUR THANKSGIVING DAY TRADITION! Buck the Fuffs!

That boring game doesnt hold a candle to michigan - ohio state.

Ditch Weed has contaminated your brain. Big 8 ball was always more fun than Big 10.

...T_O_B

If you have been watching TV lately and have HBO you may have noticed the "Michigan vs Ohio State" TV special. They have been running it a lot lately. Anyway, it recaps the entire series even back to the beginning of the rivalry (when Ohio stole land from Michigan).

The reason I bring this up is because I was too young to live through the OU vs NU days... All I have had is the once every couple years game, and the piss-pour excuse for a rivalry with CU.

How great was our rivalry with OU? I mean really -- unbiased -- was it bigger than Michigan vs. Ohio State?

DAMN THE MAN FOR RUINING OUR THANKSGIVING DAY TRADITION! Buck the Fuffs!

That boring game doesnt hold a candle to michigan - ohio state.

Ditch Weed has contaminated your brain. Big 8 ball was always more fun than Big 10.

...T_O_B

I take your side, Big Joke errr Big 10 football is boring as hell. I would agree that at least in the old rivalry it was entertainind as hell to watch two great option running teams, but heck, I love option football.

yeah.. boring game that doesn't match Mich-OSU. That's why every time NU gets on the field against OU it's telvised and the media make such a noise about 'the ancient rivalry renewed' Ya just got no sense of it ,Hippie.

Game of the Century NU Vs OU, 1971.

Soooo... thats why you have no special on HBO?

Just another guy who lives 40 years in the past and doesn't realize that he's really the south end of a buffalo going north.

Hope that not too much for you to comprehend, go back to your Ripple and your bong.

...T_O_B

:bonez:bonez:bonez:bonez:bonez:bonez:bonez:bonez:bonez:bonez:bonez:bonez:bonez

Well said.

...T_O_B

Well said.

...T_O_B

Well said for a total and complete lie? Come on, sure there may be some things that you can call us out on, but to villaify us for a guy that passed and out right lying about pep rallies is is below you.