DAMN THE MAN

OnTheEdge

If you have been watching TV lately and have HBO you may have noticed the "Michigan vs Ohio State" TV special. They have been running it a lot lately. Anyway, it recaps the entire series even back to the beginning of the rivalry (when Ohio stole land from Michigan).

The reason I bring this up is because I was too young to live through the OU vs NU days... All I have had is the once every couple years game, and the piss-pour excuse for a rivalry with CU.

How great was our rivalry with OU? I mean really -- unbiased -- was it bigger than Michigan vs. Ohio State?

DAMN THE MAN FOR RUINING OUR THANKSGIVING DAY TRADITION! Buck the Fuffs!

If you have been watching TV lately and have HBO you may have noticed the "Michigan vs Ohio State" TV special. They have been running it a lot lately. Anyway, it recaps the entire series even back to the beginning of the rivalry (when Ohio stole land from Michigan).

The reason I bring this up is because I was too young to live through the OU vs NU days... All I have had is the once every couple years game, and the piss-pour excuse for a rivalry with CU.

How great was our rivalry with OU? I mean really -- unbiased -- was it bigger than Michigan vs. Ohio State?

Back in the day it was just as significant as Michigan-Ohio Stae, USC-Notre Dame, Army Navy. Yeah...it was huge.

That boring game doesnt hold a candle to michigan - ohio state.

Only one game was evr called the game of the century. and it wasnt michigan-Ohio state.

You're right that was UT USC.

Only one game was evr called the game of the century. and it wasnt michigan-Ohio state.

It was the best college football I have ever seen played. THE BEST!

:thumbs:yeah

And do I remember that game.

yeah.. boring game that doesn't match Mich-OSU. That's why every time NU gets on the field against OU it's telvised and the media make such a noise about 'the ancient rivalry renewed' Ya just got no sense of it ,Hippie.

Game of the Century NU Vs OU, 1971.

Soooo... thats why you have no special on HBO?

Classic sports (now ESPNU?) replays it from time to time.

It was the game everyone waited for. The Husker could go 6-0 in the big 8 (and annialate Colorado along the way, for the benefit of our boulder reader who obviously has a short memory) but if they lost to OU the season was a disaster. In '71 Sports Illustrated called it the Game of the Century and had the headline "Immoveable Object meets Irresistable Force" in their story. But it wasn't just '71, it was every year. The hardest hitting football you will see.

Colorado thought that the CU/NU game was their big rivalry and their fans would get really angry because to us it was just another game. I remember reading a story in Playboy magazine back in the eighties, their college football edition, where a colorado player was quoted as saying, "I would rather eat dog s@#t than lose to Nebraska" of which I thought, have at it cowboy because we would just as soon not even play you.

They were sore losers while the OU fans understood a good opponent and walked away, win or lose, with respect for the Huskers and their fans. The feeling was mutual. When OU hit their bad streak in the 90's eventually most true Husker fans were rooting for them to regain their national prominance because we wanted that game to mean something again. To some extent it appears the OU fans feel the same way about NU right now. It is a shame we don't play every year and on Thanksgiving day. I remember when the whole Big XII change happened that was the first thing I thought of and why I was against it. We lost a great rivalry and there is nothing to replace it.

In '71 Sports Illustrated called it the Game of the Century and had the headline "Immoveable Object meets Irresistable Force" in their story. But it wasn't just '71, it was every year. The hardest hitting football you will see.

Actually Raw the headline was Irresitible Oklahoma meets Immoveable Nebraska.

The Michigan/Ohio State Rivalry can only edge the NU/OU rivalry in length.

2006 was the first time in their series that both teams were ranked 1 and 2. Only three times have both teams been undefeated.

Rarely did the Michigan/Ohio State game have National Championship implications, since the 70's the NU/OU has about 12 games that decided the pairings in the NC game.

What hurt the Neb/OU feud is each team having a significant dry-patch. OU/Neb isn't like OU/Texas where there is always animosity. OU/Neb was built on quality teams playing for high stakes. During the 90's OU had a down-time, and we've had one this decade. These have led to fewer games since we aren't meeting in the CCG and the games we have played too often haven't been between two major players.