So I'm having some car trouble . . .

And I'm trusting Husker Nation to help me diagnose it. :P

I drive a 1998 Saturn SL-1, manual transmission, and I suspect my clutch is going out. Every time I push the pedal in to change gears, it buzzes and shakes. And the gear shift is doing its best NOT to go into gear, I have to force it pretty hard and it usually takes two or three tries to get the darn thing to go into gear. Second and fourth gears are particularly bad.

I'm concerned because frankly, I can't afford to pay for a new $600 clutch. I'm taking it in on Monday but any help you guys can offer would be much appreciated. :)

Manual Transmission Diagnosis - lube it here - I mean click here

-If you hear growling or grinding noises when the clutch is engaged, the cause is the transmission input shaft bearing.

-A squealing sound that occurs when the clutch pedal is depressed and held is usually caused by a bad pilot bearing or bushing.

-A chirping noise that intensifies when the pedal is slowly depressed would indicate a bad release bearing.

-If you hear chirping while idling in neutral and the noise goes away when the pedal is slowly depressed, the fork/pivot ball contact point is making the noise.

-Noise that occurs only while driving or in a certain gear usually indicates a gear or bearing problem inside the transmission.

-If a particular gear grinds when shifting, that gear's synchronizer is probably damaged and needs to be replaced.

-If all the gears grind or clash when shifting, the clutch may be dragging or not fully releasing when the clutch pedal is depressed.

It's definately the syncro's dude. I had a 91 Mustang GT and it had similar problems until the syncro's got fixed. Has it ever just popped out of gear as well???

Yes, it has. Quite often, actually.

Manual Transmission Diagnosis - lube it here - I mean click here

-If you hear growling or grinding noises when the clutch is engaged, the cause is the transmission input shaft bearing.

-A squealing sound that occurs when the clutch pedal is depressed and held is usually caused by a bad pilot bearing or bushing.

-A chirping noise that intensifies when the pedal is slowly depressed would indicate a bad release bearing.

-If you hear chirping while idling in neutral and the noise goes away when the pedal is slowly depressed, the fork/pivot ball contact point is making the noise.

-Noise that occurs only while driving or in a certain gear usually indicates a gear or bearing problem inside the transmission.

-If a particular gear grinds when shifting, that gear's synchronizer is probably damaged and needs to be replaced.

-If all the gears grind or clash when shifting, the clutch may be dragging or not fully releasing when the clutch pedal is depressed.

Thanks for this . . . you guys have been very helpful. :):cheers