On an even field

you're right, it would seem he has everything there....But one never knows what is going on in other peoples heads. New challenge at Michigan? Better chance to win at LSU with what is already there? Better recruiting in south (Although the Michigan/Ohio area is nothing to be frowned upon for recruiting)?

I actually like Michigan. <insert the boos here>

I like their traditions, the uni's, the Big House, the history of sending tons of talent to the NFL (big offensive tackles, QBs, WRs, RBs, etc). I would love to coach them and beat the snot out of Ohio State. I spent a year up in Minneapolis and got a better understanding of the Big 10. Plus, your season is done by Nov 17 and if you are sitting on just one loss and ranked 5th in the BCS standings, you can sneak into the BCS championship game while the rest of the teams are playing their last games and conference championship game (ahem, Ohio State). And going to the Rose Bowl for winning your conference would be a thrill every time. Plus there's the Michigan State rival, the Notre Dame rival, playing Penn State against Joe Pa in Happy Valley, and just about any storied program they play sounds like an interesting, exciting matchup (Michigan vs Nebraska, Michigan vs Texas, Michigan vs USC, Michigan vs Oklahoma, etc). It's a power house alright. And right now, I'm feelin' for them.

LSU = Baton Rouge, cajun gator claw soup, dirty swamp water andouille, and a whole lot of "Yee Haw! cousin Jeb and MaryAnn got dem a color tv for dis week's gator game showdown, hooooowee!!!".

Plus they really were not on the map that much before 2000. ;)

is the Michigan job better than the LSU gig that Miles already has??

I know the ties that Miles has to Michigan.

Take that away and answer the question. LSU or Michigan????

As Rome said last week, LSU is the better job (given recruiting advantages, etc, etc), but Michigan is the easier job (given you play a bunch of a pretty week bunch of Big 10 teams every year, rather than having to navigate the brutal SEC schedule, thus giving you an easier road to the National Championship game). All of that said, Miles is a Michigan man and that's his dream job. He's even got a "Michigan clause" in his contract. I can't imagine him not taking that job, if it's offered to him.

Hope he's ready to pay up the $1.5 mil he would have to pay LSU to leave the contract for Michigan!! That is just amazing imo!

I know technically he'd owe LSU $1.5 mil, but I have a feeling someone besides Les would be the one scratching that check (i.e. Michigan, or Michigan boosters).

Les Miles is probably going to take the Michigan job, and it is probably the easier job right now anyway. The Big Ten is one of the weakest conferences right now, just barely ahead of the ACC and Big East (or Little East). So winning at Michigan in the Big 10 would be much easier than winning at LSU in the SEC.

The big ten won't always be easier and the sec won't always be harder. That not a reason to switch.

Les Miles is probably going to take the Michigan job, and it is probably the easier job right now anyway. The Big Ten is one of the weakest conferences right now, just barely ahead of the ACC and Big East (or Little East). So winning at Michigan in the Big 10 would be much easier than winning at LSU in the SEC.

The big ten won't always be easier and the sec won't always be harder. That not a reason to switch.

His reason will be the same reason that Van Horn left Nebraska to coach at Arkansas.

His reason will be the same reason that Van Horn left Nebraska to coach at Arkansas.

I don't know. But if I try to see things through a coach's eyes I would think I would want to go to a program where I can be the more succesful...which means having the best shot at a championship. It's hard to see Michigan as a step up right now. If Miles wanted to go to a program in Michigan's position I would think he would have stayed at Oklahoma State.

Now a couple years down the road when LSU is declining...that might be different.

I don't know. But if I try to see things through a coach's eyes I would think I would want to go to a program where I can be the more succesful...which means having the best shot at a championship. It's hard to see Michigan as a step up right now. If Miles wanted to go to a program in Michigan's position I would think he would have stayed at Oklahoma State.

Now a couple years down the road when LSU is declining...that might be different.

Really doubt it has anything to do with playing for the National championship. He was there in the days where playing for the Rose bowl was more important then the NC. It has more to do with coaching the school where you were a player. Coaching at Michigan still gives you a pretty good shot at an National Championship as a bonus.