What we know... (I think)

In my opinion, those "conditions" was all smoke--politician talk. This has been a done deal for some time, in a perfect world everything is always black & white but this isn't a perfect world. It's also my opinion that there have been previous talks with potential new HC's--I'm not calling Tom a liar, just politically correct (which is fine by me).

I believe the correct words are 'diplomatic' and 'professional'.

I am very confident that the coaching search is down to two.

Bo Pelini and Turner Gill.

I was hoping for clues at the press conference as to which one of these two guys it would be. Tom was quick to point out that he has been talking with Gill on a weekly basis. He also mentioned the names of several other coaches he has been talking with. Every one of them has worked with Gill. All but one of them (Bohl) has worked with Pelini. On more than one occasion during the press conference, Osborne also mentioned the need for someone that can motivate players. (Bo Pelini, move ahead ten spaces).

The LJS was handed the story about Pelini being contacted by a search firm. It sure would be interesting to know who leaked that. I guarantee you it was someone in Pelini's camp. I am also certain that Osborne knew the search firm was being contacted, but not sure if he knew it was going to take place before the press conference.

Bo wants this job. If Solly is correct, and I believe he is, Pelini will be interviewed by Osborne tomorrow or Monday. Unless Tom wants to take on the folks that brought him back to the athletic department, Pelini will get the job. The only one with enough clout to derail the Pelini express is Tom Osborne. Would he do that for his good friend Turner Gill? Not likely unless Pelini totally blows the interview.

As for the requirements for waiting a specific amount of time on hiring because of NU being a state institution. Yeah, tell that to Solich, who was given the same job by Osborne without the formal approval of AD Bill Byrne. In other words, this job ain't gonna be posted on the state's employment opportunities web site.

There may be other perfunctory interviews, but Nebraska will have a new head coach very, very soon. Plan A= Bo Pelini. Plan B-= Turner Gill.

Would you spend money on a search commitee if those were your only choices? Osborne could just call up Turner and Pellini anytime he wanted so why would he pay someone to do it?