What we know... (I think)

Word leaked out from donors about Pederson being fired before people on SP's own staff even had a clue. I do know this is true as I know two people in the AD's office that hadn't even heard the rumor while KETV was already running it as a crawl across the screen on the day it happened. One of these people told me that Pederson himself was surprised by the firing. He thought he was going to be reprimanded, or so he claimed.

At about the same time, word leaked out from the same donors that TO was going to be the new AD and that Bo Pelini was going to be the new HC.

We know that TO agreed to become the AD and that Callahan had to go, but did he agree to hire Bo Pelini?

Along the road there were some signals crossed as some big donors wanted to pay the $$ to buy out Callahan at any cost while Osborne and at least one other big donor did not.

Callahan thought the buyout was going to happen and would have resigned after the Texas game. The buyout was nixed. Cally and his agent were pissed (and we ended up analyzing soil samples).

Callahan began making it clear that he did not want to work for Osborne (which actually makes sense from the perspective of a lame duck). The tit for tat with former players at practice, Watson on the sidelines, Cally referencing the "higher ups", not being on field with players after the KSU win, etc.. continued to play out.

There hasn't been a doubt since Pederson was fired that Callahan would follow. The only question was whether it would happen during the season or after. Osborne answered that question by publicly stating the coaches would be "evaluated" after the season (er, the Colorado game). The man kept his word and will evaluate Callahan out of a job on Saturday morning.

The only question left to answer, and it is a big one, concerns the hiring of the next head coach. This was originally supposed to be Bo Pelini, but if Osborne has garnered enough support, I now believe it may very well be Turner Gill. I don't believe there is a third candidate and I do believe the new HC will be announced in the very near future (perhaps as soon as Monday).

Then again, this is Rumorville, right?

Word leaked out from donors about Pederson being fired before people on SP's own staff even had a clue. I do know this is true as I know two people in the AD's office that hadn't even heard the rumor while KETV was already running it as a crawl across the screen on the day it happened. One of these people told me that Pederson himself was surprised by the firing. He thought he was going to be reprimanded, or so he claimed.

At about the same time, word leaked out from the same donors that TO was going to be the new AD and that Bo Pelini was going to be the new HC.

We know that TO agreed to become the AD and that Callahan had to go, but did he agree to hire Bo Pelini?

Along the road there were some signals crossed as some big donors wanted to pay the $$ to buy out Callahan at any cost while Osborne and at least one other big donor did not.

Callahan thought the buyout was going to happen and would have resigned after the Texas game. The buyout was nixed. Cally and his agent were pissed (and we ended up analyzing soil samples).

Callahan began making it clear that he did not want to work for Osborne (which actually makes sense from the perspective of a lame duck). The tit for tat with former players at practice, Watson on the sidelines, Cally referencing the "higher ups", not being on field with players after the KSU win, etc.. continued to play out.

There hasn't been a doubt since Pederson was fired that Callahan would follow. The only question was whether it would happen during the season or after. Osborne answered that question by publicly stating the coaches would be "evaluated" after the season (er, the Colorado game). The man kept his word and will evaluate Callahan out of a job on Saturday morning.

The only question left to answer, and it is a big one, concerns the hiring of the next head coach. This was originally supposed to be Bo Pelini, but if Osborne has garnered enough support, I now believe it may very well be Turner Gill. I don't believe there is a third candidate and I do believe the new HC will be announced in the very near future (perhaps as soon as Monday).

Won't happen since Nebraska is a state school and not a private institution there is some requirements they have to go through before they can hire someone. Not sure what they are, but was mentioned on the radio postgame by Sean Callahan.

I have to agree that this all sounds about right. Osborne was hired to fire Callahan, and Callahan knew that a long, long time ago. That's why Callahan didn't care to be associated with him, and that's why Osborne was never supportive of the team. I'm personally hoping for T. Gill. He's got class, but we would have to give him more than four years to get things going.

I have to agree that this all sounds about right. Osborne was hired to fire Callahan, and Callahan knew that a long, long time ago. That's why Callahan didn't care to be associated with him, and that's why Osborne was never supportive of the team. I'm personally hoping for T. Gill. He's got class, but we would have to give him more than four years to get things going.

Osborne went in and told them that if they went 5-0 4-1 even 3-3 and be competetive that most likely a change would not happen. He gave them a chance to keep their job. Thats more then a lot of people would have.

If the people in the know really knew anything, you would think the benchmarks Osborne gave them might have been mentioned in any of their post. IBR and everyone else had no idea what was going on other then guess that Pederson was gone and who the new AD would be.

Five people have been contacted to see if there would be any interested in becoming Headcoach. He never said who those five were but LJS has confirmed that Pellini was one of the coaches.

Osborne went in and told them that if they went 5-0 4-1 even 3-3 and be competetive that most likely a change would not happen. He gave them a chance to keep their job. Thats more then a lot of people would have.

If the people in the know really knew anything, you would think the benchmarks Osborne gave them might have been mentioned in any of their post. IBR and everyone else had no idea what was going on other then guess that Pederson was gone and who the new AD would be.

Five people have been contacted to see if there would be any interested in becoming Headcoach. He never said who those five were but LJS has confirmed that Pellini was one of the coaches.

It is going to be a long week while we wait. Somehow, I don't think we will be so lucky as to have a new coach named this Monday. But, miracles do happen in Husker Nation.

:restore:blink::dunno:restore:woo:bonez

I am very confident that the coaching search is down to two.

Bo Pelini and Turner Gill.

I was hoping for clues at the press conference as to which one of these two guys it would be. Tom was quick to point out that he has been talking with Gill on a weekly basis. He also mentioned the names of several other coaches he has been talking with. Every one of them has worked with Gill. All but one of them (Bohl) has worked with Pelini. On more than one occasion during the press conference, Osborne also mentioned the need for someone that can motivate players. (Bo Pelini, move ahead ten spaces).

The LJS was handed the story about Pelini being contacted by a search firm. It sure would be interesting to know who leaked that. I guarantee you it was someone in Pelini's camp. I am also certain that Osborne knew the search firm was being contacted, but not sure if he knew it was going to take place before the press conference.

Bo wants this job. If Solly is correct, and I believe he is, Pelini will be interviewed by Osborne tomorrow or Monday. Unless Tom wants to take on the folks that brought him back to the athletic department, Pelini will get the job. The only one with enough clout to derail the Pelini express is Tom Osborne. Would he do that for his good friend Turner Gill? Not likely unless Pelini totally blows the interview.

As for the requirements for waiting a specific amount of time on hiring because of NU being a state institution. Yeah, tell that to Solich, who was given the same job by Osborne without the formal approval of AD Bill Byrne. In other words, this job ain't gonna be posted on the state's employment opportunities web site.

There may be other perfunctory interviews, but Nebraska will have a new head coach very, very soon. Plan A= Bo Pelini. Plan B-= Turner Gill.

I was hoping for clues at the press conference as to which one of these two guys it would be. Tom was quick to point out that he has been talking with Gill on a weekly basis. He also mentioned the names of several other coaches he has been talking with. Every one of them has worked with Gill. All but one of them (Bohl) has worked with Pelini. On more than one occasion during the press conference, Osborne also mentioned the need for someone that can motivate players. (Bo Pelini, move ahead ten spaces).

The LJS was handed the story about Pelini being contacted by a search firm. It sure would be interesting to know who leaked that. I guarantee you it was someone in Pelini's camp. I am also certain that Osborne knew the search firm was being contacted, but not sure if he knew it was going to take place before the press conference.

Bo wants this job. If Solly is correct, and I believe he is, Pelini will be interviewed by Osborne tomorrow or Monday. Unless Tom wants to take on the folks that brought him back to the athletic department, Pelini will get the job. The only one with enough clout to derail the Pelini express is Tom Osborne. Would he do that for his good friend Turner Gill? Not likely unless Pelini totally blows the interview.

As for the requirements for waiting a specific amount of time on hiring because of NU being a state institution. Yeah, tell that to Solich, who was given the same job by Osborne without the formal approval of AD Bill Byrne. In other words, this job ain't gonna be posted on the state's employment opportunities web site.

There may be other perfunctory interviews, but Nebraska will have a new head coach very, very soon. Plan A= Bo Pelini. Plan B-= Turner Gill.

As noted on one of the radio talk shows today, Bo has interviewed else where, and blown those interviews. It is possible that he could do that again. Either one is fine with me.

I've leaned towards Pelini over Gill. A major reason for this is that I think Gill will come back if he's ever needed. If Gill is happy in Buffalo, I wonder if his attitude at this time might be that if NU hires someone else, he'll get the next shot once that coach leaves or if that coach doesnt work out. Just some worthless speculation. :)

No body knows crap about anything... We all thought Cally was gone from day one, now we find out that the coditions to keep his job were very fair. The information control in the Athletic Dept. is amazing (and a testiment to T.O.). We can sit here and speculate (i know i have) but when they want us to know we will know. Any stories that come out (i.e. Bo has been contacted) are coming from the person in question. We all just need to sit back and have a beer... IMO

In my opinion, those "conditions" was all smoke--politician talk. This has been a done deal for some time, in a perfect world everything is always black & white but this isn't a perfect world. It's also my opinion that there have been previous talks with potential new HC's--I'm not calling Tom a liar, just politically correct (which is fine by me).

As noted on one of the radio talk shows today, Bo has interviewed else where, and blown those interviews. It is possible that he could do that again. Either one is fine with me.

Pellini as a head coach would make NU almost as classy as Missouri! LOL

In my opinion, those "conditions" was all smoke--politician talk. This has been a done deal for some time, in a perfect world everything is always black & white but this isn't a perfect world. It's also my opinion that there have been previous talks with potential new HC's--I'm not calling Tom a liar, just politically correct (which is fine by me).

No, Tom Osborne is actually a liar. But a very kindly, grandfatherly liar . . . sort of like Ronald Reagan.