Rumor from another board

Another board is reporting Pelini is to interview with Osborne today or tomorrow and is mentioned as the leading candidate by the headhunters NU hired. Essentially, according to this poster (who has seemed to be fairly accurate with his "rumors") if all the details can be worked out between Pelini and the University/Osborne, then NU should have it's new head coach next week sometime.

Also, and I'm using a direct quote here:

Turner is in Baker-Parker's top five candidates, but is not #2. Of the present staff, only Rudolph is thought to have a prayer of being retained. Head Strength Coach Dave Kennedy is gone, as well.

It's also being rumored Barney Cotton could get an interview for the OL position and Marvin Sanders for the DC position and could possibly be on the staff as early as Monday.

Another poster is saying his close friend is with Sporting News and that what Sporting News is hearing is Osborne has 3 plans which boil down to this (and I'm going to use direct quotes):

Optimal Plan

Bo Pelini HC and Turner Gill Asst HC and OC

Many in Buffalo are believing that Turner would take over remaining at Buffalo.

DC would be up to a meeting of the minds so to speak. He has talked to mulitple sources who are saying this in regards to Turner returning as an Asst.

Plan B is Bo as HC, Assistant to be determined

Plan C is Turner as HC and also Assistants to be determined.

No real big surprise there

And finally,

The names he mentioned returning to Lincoln as Assistants were the ones named plus a couple of others, Jimmy Williams as Bo loved him while he was in Lincoln and currently Turners DC and Grant Wistrom in some capacity. Either as coach or grad asst. He is coached HS Ball for this brother for basically free this year. He made a comment if Lincoln could survive if Grant and Jason were back in Lincoln together again.

They watch all the boards etc and also talk to many reporters etc for sources.

If Miles bolts to Michigan many doubt Bo would be given a shot at LSU as many of the big boosters are not on his bandwagon due to he has not been a HC. He probably knows this and that is why his compass is point towards Lincoln. “there loss will be someones gain” was his comment.

As far as Kelly, Grobe and Johnson felt they were just wasted ink on paper.

Finally there is a Joker running around that just might appear next year on the sidelines. Some Guy named Kiffin. His NFL career is over pretty much and could TO get him to come back and work with Bo and also run defense?

So take all this for what it's worth. I know it's rumor and conjecture but at this point in the game, why stop now

i am just thinking TO would like to see Turner back as OC or assistant head coach, knowing in about 5-6 years from now, the orderly transistion to Turner as the next HC would soldify the coaching issues at NU for the forseeable future.

knowing how much Tom and everyone else desires stability in the program, this sure could be his ideal scenario.

I think I just Bogasmed. Clean up on aisle three.

The question that I keep wondering, though, is how well would Turner handle being an assistant after being a head coach, especially when the man who he's under has no head coaching experience? If he's a humble man, which his interviews and such would seem to indicate, it wouldn't be much of a problem. But ego is ego, and everyone has one of a varied size. This staff would be dream come true for me, especially if you could get someone like the LSU linebacker/ST coach with all he recruiting ties to come on board as DC. As long as Bo is around, the defense becomes less of a concern regardless of the coordinator. With an offensive mind like Turner in the mix, I think we could see an amazing turnaround from this season.

As for continuity, if they can get a 9-10 win season next year with perhaps a Big XII Championship appearance, they're solid, provided there's no Callahan-esque relapse in 09.

Exciting times, gentlemen. Very exciting times.

X

The question that I keep wondering, though, is how well would Turner handle being an assistant after being a head coach, especially when the man who he's under has no head coaching experience? If he's a humble man, which his interviews and such would seem to indicate, it wouldn't be much of a problem. But ego is ego, and everyone has one of a varied size. This staff would be dream come true for me, especially if you could get someone like the LSU linebacker/ST coach with all he recruiting ties to come on board as DC. As long as Bo is around, the defense becomes less of a concern regardless of the coordinator. With an offensive mind like Turner in the mix, I think we could see an amazing turnaround from this season.

As for continuity, if they can get a 9-10 win season next year with perhaps a Big XII Championship appearance, they're solid, provided there's no Callahan-esque relapse in 09.

X

What has Pelini done to deserve this god-like reverence? An Alamo Bowl victory over national powerhouse MSU? Because he showed "fire" on the sidelines and accosted Bill Snyder for scoring 38 points against Pelini's unstoppable D? Becasue his defense has been so overpowering this year they held Alabama to 43 Auburn to 24 Kentucky to 43 and Arkansas to 50?

If NU hires Pelini he will be gone within 4 years.

X

What has Pelini done to deserve this god-like reverence? An Alamo Bowl victory over national powerhouse MSU? Because he showed "fire" on the sidelines and accosted Bill Snyder for scoring 38 points against Pelini's unstoppable D? Becasue his defense has been so overpowering this year they held Alabama to 43 Auburn to 24 Kentucky to 43 and Arkansas to 50?

I don't have a God-like reverence for Bo Pelini. He's created monster defenses everywhere he's set foot. This is a well documented fact. On top of this his players would run through walls for him. He inspires people. When I look at the current needs of the team, motivation the top among them, he's an immediate light bulb because of his ability and availability. You point to a few games where his defense broke down (it happens, ask anyone, including McBride), one of which was against the greatest running back in college football.

Conversely, what has he done to get such devil-like animosity form you scant minority of naysayers? Is he the best fit? I don't know, but simple reasons would seem to indicate it. With Osborne helping him out and perhaps Gill running the offense, I have plain reasons for a lot of optimism. Any coaching decision is subject to the same stupid nitpicking you just did, but for those of us who live in the real world, Pelini at the very least makes a certain sort of sense.

First off, OT points are not something you really should pin on a defense. The other team only has to go 25 yards. And if the whole argument against a guy is his defense had a handful of games over 5 years where a team scored more than 20 against it, you will be fresh out of any DC as an option. The rules are set up for teams to score points. The fact that all of his defenses have finished in the top 10 ranked units is impressive.

X

I think I read somewhere that Gill only makes like 300,000 this year for coaching at Buffalo.

I think we can offer a lot more for the OC position. That might be a reason to come.

And Bo beat Michigan, not michigan state

X

I think I read somewhere that Gill only makes like 300,000 this year for coaching at Buffalo.

I think we can offer a lot more for the OC position. That might be a reason to come.

Gill makes just about $180k. Watson and Cosgrove make more than he does.

X

It was Michigan St.

"Pelini was also interim head coach at the time of the Cornhuskers' 2003 Alamo Bowl victory over Michigan State."

X

It was Michigan St.

"Pelini was also interim head coach at the time of the Cornhuskers' 2003 Alamo Bowl victory over Michigan State."

I fixed it for them

X

I don't have a God-like reverence for Bo Pelini. He's created monster defenses everywhere he's set foot. This is a well documented fact. On top of this his players would run through walls for him. He inspires people. When I look at the current needs of the team, motivation the top among them, he's an immediate light bulb because of his ability and availability. You point to a few games where his defense broke down (it happens, ask anyone, including McBride), one of which was against the greatest running back in college football.

Conversely, what has he done to get such devil-like animosity form you scant minority of naysayers? Is he the best fit? I don't know, but simple reasons would seem to indicate it. With Osborne helping him out and perhaps Gill running the offense, I have plain reasons for a lot of optimism. Any coaching decision is subject to the same stupid nitpicking you just did, but for those of us who live in the real world, Pelini at the very least makes a certain sort of sense.

Naysayer yes i am. The man has showed that he lacks class. One thing about Callahan is even after being drubbed senseless he had no problem with the other coaching staff scoring. Bo couldnt handle KSU putting up 38. He will not make a great HC his temprement is that of a firey DC.

X

It was Michigan St.

I fixed it for them

It was MSU.......................................................................................... :hellloooo