Interesting opinion

From another board:

If it turns out that we hire BP, and if it turns out that the only coaches we interviewed were BP, TG and Grobe(and that was only described as an informal conversation), then we have to face some facts:

1.Even good headhunters could not find many of the really good coaches out there that were willing to even be interviewed for the job, or

2. TO didn't want to interview a really good coach as a prospect for the job.

Either way, it's an unfotrunate commentary. Stories of a coach being fired at 9-3, kids of coaches being tormented, boards like this going on and on with comments that wouldn't be made face to face, expectations of satisfaction only with NC games, and things like that probably limit the number and kinds of coaches willing to take the job.

I can't wait to get back to decent teams playing hard and winning some games. Maybe that's the right goal, and hopefully BP can do that if he is the guy. We'll see.

Thoughts?

I see the guys point. Frankly, I am not surprised. My thought is that point #1 is the reality. #2 is just wrong.

Maybe it is time to look at NU in a different light. All things ebb and flow. Remember the great Army teams of th 40's and 50's, the Syracuse teams the past, Fordham, etc. Their times came, and went, based upon a variety of factors during that time period and beyond Maybe the same is true of NU. The college landscape has changed, for better or worse. Maybe the days of Nebraska, or anyone for that matter, dominating year in/year out are gone - and an adjustment for expectations is in order..........

No way, I don't agree with that.

With the emergence of so many new teams on the national stage for the first time and the continued success of the traditional powerhouses it's just a matter of having the right coach and players.

BC could have destroyed Michigan, Ohio State, OU, USC.

We may not dominate like the last 4 years of TO's run, but getting back to 9 or 10 wins a year is achievable

From another board:

If it turns out that we hire BP, and if it turns out that the only coaches we interviewed were BP, TG and Grobe(and that was only described as an informal conversation), then we have to face some facts:

1.Even good headhunters could not find many of the really good coaches out there that were willing to even be interviewed for the job, or

Either way, it's an unfotrunate commentary. Stories of a coach being fired at 9-3, kids of coaches being tormented, boards like this going on and on with comments that wouldn't be made face to face, expectations of satisfaction only with NC games, and things like that probably limit the number and kinds of coaches willing to take the job.

I can't wait to get back to decent teams playing hard and winning some games. Maybe that's the right goal, and hopefully BP can do that if he is the guy. We'll see.

Thoughts?

I see the guys point. Frankly, I am not surprised. My thought is that point #1 is the reality. #2 is just wrong.

I concur with your thoughts. I really did not think that Pellini was a serious possibility, but now it looks more likely. I'm not necessarily on board with the idea that Osborne will make a sound decision . . . after all, he is 0-1 when it comes to selecting head coaches. Pellini has never headed up a program before, and this is looking more and more like Solich revisted.

Question: I heard this asked yesterday on 1620, and I thought it was a provocative question. If Scott Frost would have had the same resume as Turner Gill, would he have been more readily selected? This is a very uncomfortable thing, but is Gill going to be rejected based upon the color of his skin? They are crazy about him at Buffalo.

From another board:

Thoughts?

I think TO wants someone somewhat proven--and someone that he is familiar with. I don't think he wanted to go looking for the next Urban Meyer.

Of the kids being tormented? I'm pretty sure that probably happens at any school. It isn't just NU fans that can act like idiots.

T.O. said he talked to several coaches which means more then two or three. They will never give all the names that had interest in Nebraska since it would hurt the coach at the other school. This is why they use a search commitee because of the confidentiality.

The search firm reputation would go down the drain if news got out that certain coaches were interested that did'nt want it as common Knowledge. I know if I was at a school, and did'nt want it known, I was interested at said job, and found out the search firm leaked it that would be the last time I ever talked to them and would warn fellow coaches.

From another board:

Thoughts?

I think TO wants someone somewhat proven--and someone that he is familiar with. I don't think he wanted to go looking for the next Urban Meyer.

Of the kids being tormented? I'm pretty sure that probably happens at any school. It isn't just NU fans that can act like idiots.

I think Tom simply had few willing candidates from which to choose --- that is, not much interest out there for being the next NU coach. If he could get guys like Rich Rodriguez, Tedford, Patterson, Peterson --- or even Kelly, Johnson, etc. --- well, I am sure he would have been all over such candidates. But.... you take what you can get. It's like recruiting --- why do we just not sign all 5 star players? We would --- if they would sign.

That is not to say that an unproven or unheralded coach cannot succeed. They can and many have. Lets hope that is the case here.

From another board:

Thoughts?

I concur with your thoughts. I really did not think that Pellini was a serious possibility, but now it looks more likely. I'm not necessarily on board with the idea that Osborne will make a sound decision . . . after all, he is 0-1 when it comes to selecting head coaches. Pellini has never headed up a program before, and this is looking more and more like Solich revisted.

Question: I heard this asked yesterday on 1620, and I thought it was a provocative question. If Scott Frost would have had the same resume as Turner Gill, would he have been more readily selected? This is a very uncomfortable thing, but is Gill going to be rejected based upon the color of his skin? They are crazy about him at Buffalo.

id say that is a highly contested opinion

I don't think that TO wanted another "hired gun", somebody who would bolt for another job in college or the NFL when things start going really well. He mentioned consistency being important, especially going forward.

Let's face it, the NU head coach hasn't really set any records for highest pay, so there has to be something else to keep them in Lincoln.

I also don't see how BP would be Frank Solich revisited, but I suppose there will be naysayers no matter who is picked.

That's not a provocative question, it's idiotic. Four years ago Arkansas was crazy about Houston Nutt, would that have made him a great pick for us? Gill is my first choice for the job but I will respect TO's decision. Exactly who are you accusing of being racist here? TO (who by all accounts loves Gill like a son)? Pearlman? The whole state of Nebraska?

Hey, guys, what was Stoops' experience before he because OU's head coach?

Same age as Pelini when he took over at OU, more college experience than Pelini who has NFL experience Stoops didn't have.

And Osborne passed on his buddy Gill because he's black? Ridiculous.

I'd say TO passing on Gill means that he was pretty wowed by Pelini and really believes in him.

I'd also say Tom Osborne knows more about football than I do or anyone else on this board or, probably, all of us put together.

There's no more Cosgrove defense, no more Callahan play-calling and weird personnel use, no more trying to freeze a 14-point lead halfway through the third quarter.

There's hope. GO BIG RED!!!!!!

From another board:

Thoughts?

If you are gonna count anything against T.O., count HIM recommending Pederson for getting Nebraska into this mess in the first place. No one knows what would've happened if Solich stayed. If you say we wouldn't gone anywhere, well it is nice to sit there and daydream isn't it?