Interesting opinion

Hey, guys, what was Stoops' experience before he because OU's head coach?

Same age as Pelini when he took over at OU, more college experience than Pelini who has NFL experience Stoops didn't have.

And Osborne passed on his buddy Gill because he's black? Ridiculous.

I'd say TO passing on Gill means that he was pretty wowed by Pelini and really believes in him.

I'd also say Tom Osborne knows more about football than I do or anyone else on this board or, probably, all of us put together.

There's no more Cosgrove defense, no more Callahan play-calling and weird personnel use, no more trying to freeze a 14-point lead halfway through the third quarter.

There's hope. GO BIG RED!!!!!!

I agree with everything you said except the part about TO being wowed by Pelini. First of all, I think the boosters are running the show. I think they ran it when Solich was fired, and I still think they are pulling the strings. In terms of TO passing on Gill, I've probably said it 100 times. Gill is lazy. Former players said he was last to work and first to leave. TO passed on him because of his work ethic, not because he is black.

In reality, this was always going to be a choice between just Gill and Pelini.

Grobe reportedly is seeking a five year, $14 million dollar deal to leave Wake Forest, the equivalent of what he is guaranteed over the ten years of his current contract.

Johnson makes around $1.5 million per year at Navy, and is wanting in the neighborhood of $2 million a year, a five year deal at around $10 million to leave.

Kelly believes he can get a similar offer, and any offer less than that range is going to be matched by Cincinnati.

TO was never going to pay that kind of money for a head coach. Which leaves us with less-proven coaches. Add in the desire for Nebraska ties, and realistically, we are left with only Gill and Pelini.

Penny-wise and pound-foolish? Maybe. Maybe not. We'll know in three or four years. There were coaching choices that were perhaps less of a crapshoot, but they are priced accordingly. (Obviously any coach will come with risk, but some choices present greater risks than others.) SMU sounds like it is willing to pay Paul Johnson $2 million a season. NU was not.

Pelini turned out (in TO's opinion) to be the best coach willing to work for the amount TO is willing to pay.

Freakin' Pellini. I can't believe it. This whole season was engineered so that Tom could avenge Solich's firing by hiring Pellini? How depressing.

I feel that he would have avenged it by hiring Gill, another native son. Freemason, are you my dad from south central Nebraska cuz you have almost all the same thoughts as he does, no kidding. :)

Freakin' Pellini. I can't believe it. This whole season was engineered so that Tom could avenge Solich's firing by hiring Pellini? How depressing.

Oh goodie, we get to hear this latest "consiparcy theory"! How long is this one going to last? :w00t

seriously, i may not like the rumored "coach" but thinking that the season was engineered so tom could avenge solich? dude seriously wear a tin foil hat or something, your just nuts.

From another board:

If it turns out that we hire BP, and if it turns out that the only coaches we interviewed were BP, TG and Grobe(and that was only described as an informal conversation), then we have to face some facts:

1.Even good headhunters could not find many of the really good coaches out there that were willing to even be interviewed for the job, or

2. TO didn't want to interview a really good coach as a prospect for the job.

Either way, it's an unfotrunate commentary. Stories of a coach being fired at 9-3, kids of coaches being tormented, boards like this going on and on with comments that wouldn't be made face to face, expectations of satisfaction only with NC games, and things like that probably limit the number and kinds of coaches willing to take the job.

I can't wait to get back to decent teams playing hard and winning some games. Maybe that's the right goal, and hopefully BP can do that if he is the guy. We'll see.

Thoughts?

I see the guys point. Frankly, I am not surprised. My thought is that point #1 is the reality. #2 is just wrong.

I concur with your thoughts. I really did not think that Pellini was a serious possibility, but now it looks more likely. I'm not necessarily on board with the idea that Osborne will make a sound decision . . . after all, he is 0-1 when it comes to selecting head coaches. Pellini has never headed up a program before, and this is looking more and more like Solich revisted.

Question: I heard this asked yesterday on 1620, and I thought it was a provocative question. If Scott Frost would have had the same resume as Turner Gill, would he have been more readily selected? This is a very uncomfortable thing, but is Gill going to be rejected based upon the color of his skin? They are crazy about him at Buffalo.

Since you are clueless and have avoided all of my questions I wonder, how do you come to the conclusion that Bo will be Frank revisited?

How ignorant are you to suggest that Turner would somehow be denied because Nebraska couldn't handle having a black head coach? Turner is a legend, a class act, very intelligent, and even though he may not be everyone's first choice, I don't think that many would be upset to see him be the HC. I agree with another poster, its not a provocative question, it's idiotic.

I saw where you said that the "boosters are pulling the strings on this hire." That may or may not be true, but the one thing we all know is that they were pulling the strings to get Frank fired and look how that has turned out.

I understand that you are just a blowhard, but why won't you answer the questions you keep avoiding: while Frank may not have been the best choice to be HC back in 98, how can you say that a guy who won 75% of his games was a "failure?" Also, if that guy is a "failure" then what do you call the guy who won 55% of his games and failed to make any changes that would improve his success???

edit: I see that you don't prefer a guy that has never headed up a program being our next head coach. I can name 2 that were pretty okay hires, Tom Osborne and Bob Stoops.

From another board:

If it turns out that we hire BP, and if it turns out that the only coaches we interviewed were BP, TG and Grobe(and that was only described as an informal conversation), then we have to face some facts:

1.Even good headhunters could not find many of the really good coaches out there that were willing to even be interviewed for the job, or

Either way, it's an unfotrunate commentary. Stories of a coach being fired at 9-3, kids of coaches being tormented, boards like this going on and on with comments that wouldn't be made face to face, expectations of satisfaction only with NC games, and things like that probably limit the number and kinds of coaches willing to take the job.

I can't wait to get back to decent teams playing hard and winning some games. Maybe that's the right goal, and hopefully BP can do that if he is the guy. We'll see.

Thoughts?

I see the guys point. Frankly, I am not surprised. My thought is that point #1 is the reality. #2 is just wrong.

I concur with your thoughts. I really did not think that Pellini was a serious possibility, but now it looks more likely. I'm not necessarily on board with the idea that Osborne will make a sound decision . . . after all, he is 0-1 when it comes to selecting head coaches. Pellini has never headed up a program before, and this is looking more and more like Solich revisted.

Question: I heard this asked yesterday on 1620, and I thought it was a provocative question. If Scott Frost would have had the same resume as Turner Gill, would he have been more readily selected? This is a very uncomfortable thing, but is Gill going to be rejected based upon the color of his skin? They are crazy about him at Buffalo.

Since you are clueless and have avoided all of my questions I wonder, how do you come to the conclusion that Bo will be Frank revisited?

How ignorant are you to suggest that Turner would somehow be denied because Nebraska couldn't handle having a black head coach? Turner is a legend, a class act, very intelligent, and even though he may not be everyone's first choice, I don't think that many would be upset to see him be the HC. I agree with another poster, its not a provocative question, it's idiotic.

I saw where you said that the "boosters are pulling the strings on this hire." That may or may not be true, but the one thing we all know is that they were pulling the strings to get Frank fired and look how that has turned out.

I uderstand that you are just a blowhard, but why wont you answer the questions you keep avoiding: while Frank may not have been the best choice to be HC back in 98, how can you say that a guy who won 75% of his games was a "failure?" Also, if that guy is a "failure" then what do you call the guy who won 55% of his games and failed to make any changes that would improve his success???

:yeah

Give it up restored, they only hear what they want.

From another board:

Thoughts?

I understand that you are just a blowhard, but why won't you answer the questions you keep avoiding: while Frank may not have been the best choice to be HC back in 98, how can you say that a guy who won 75% of his games was a "failure?" Also, if that guy is a "failure" then what do you call the guy who won 55% of his games and failed to make any changes that would improve his success???

edit: I see that you don't prefer a guy that has never headed up a program being our next head coach. I can name 2 that were pretty okay hires, Tom Osborne and Bob Stoops.

"restored_order'" has been suspended for 7 days for a second violation of board rules.

I'd say TO passing on Gill means that he was pretty wowed by Pelini and really believes in him.

It could also be that Gill passed. I don't know how likely that is, but it is possible that he wants to finish what he's started and doesn't feel ready to take on the Nebraska program given where he is now.

From another board:

Thoughts?

Gill not being selected has nothing to do with anything but his coaching ability. He is not ready to take on a big time program and I think Osborne knows this. Not to mention, I think Osborne wants somebody who can light a fire under his players asses and get them motivated, which is Pelini in a nutshell.

BTW, You do realize Bob Stoops was a young proven defensive coordinator with no head coaching experience when he was hired at OU right? :moreinteresting

I think the decision may have been different if Gill had one more year at Buffalo. They have Willy(their qb) and a fair amount of other starters back. If their AD's gets them a winnable noncon game they'll likely finish with a very nice record in '08 that will make Gill a much more viable candidate for a big job.

Turner has done very respectable things at Buffalo but without the turnaround being complete yet he was a tough sell.