Are we ready to be 'new fans'?

TLS2

If I could wish for one thing for the "new fans" it would be a set between their legs so they would stop grabbing for a box of tissues every single time someone says something they don't like.

The issue is not how others treat us but rather how we treat others. Being offended is not in view --- not being offensive is what is in view. Character matters. TO is a man of character. NU fans should emulate the humility, kindness, and overall generosity we see in our old coach. NU fans have been very civil and noble --- when they win all the time. I think this thread is about how degraded the NU fan base has become now that NU is no longer a competitive program. So, without putting words into the mouth of the person who launched this thread, I think they are hoping that the Husker team becomes competitive again but, moreover, that we NU fans exhibit class and function as good sports throughout the process. That means exhibiting patience and expressing good character. What we have seen this season from many NU fans --- and many on this board --- has been rather pathetic. Lets both win well and lose well as we support our team, our coaches (past, present, and future), our university and our state. This is what, I think, this thread is simply calling us to do.

This thread is about people who have no clue. This fan base hasn't changed one whit over the past forty years. We've always wanted a winner, we've always expected some things like academic excellence and integrity and "the Husker Way" and we've never had patience for losing, not one bit. There always have been and always will be "bad" fans out there. Hoping they go away is like hoping taxes go away.

Think about this: Name one time in the history of this program where all NU fans everywhere behaved as you say. IT HAS NEVER HAPPENED, not 100% of us. To act like it did, ever, is to have a very short-sighted view of what this fan base has always been.

Next time you feel like calling the coaches names, ask yourself "What would Tom do"?

What did Tom do? He blew Callahan and Coz's rearends right out of town. I believe Tom said not many losing seasons will be tolerated around here, especially 2 in 4 years.

As we look forward to a new head coach for our beloved Huskers, I'm wondering if the fans are ready to be 'new fans'. I've seen a very ugly side of people who call themselves 'Husker Fans' that I hope I don't ever see again. I hope that whoever comes in, even if it is someone who has been here before, we will be the 'best fans in the nation' once again, not a bunch of whiners and complainers.

Anyway, just food for thought. The new coach and the players old and new are going to need all the support we can give them. Are we up to supporting them, Husker fans?

I sure hope that we NU fans react better with the new coaches and treat them better than we did the last coaches.

:moreinteresting:moreinteresting:moreinteresting:moreinteresting:moreinteresting:moreinteresting:moreinteresting:moreinteresting:moreinteresting:moreinteresting

The issue is not how others treat us but rather how we treat others. Being offended is not in view --- not being offensive is what is in view. Character matters. TO is a man of character. NU fans should emulate the humility, kindness, and overall generosity we see in our old coach. NU fans have been very civil and noble --- when they win all the time. I think this thread is about how degraded the NU fan base has become now that NU is no longer a competitive program. So, without putting words into the mouth of the person who launched this thread, I think they are hoping that the Husker team becomes competitive again but, moreover, that we NU fans exhibit class and function as good sports throughout the process. That means exhibiting patience and expressing good character. What we have seen this season from many NU fans --- and many on this board --- has been rather pathetic. Lets both win well and lose well as we support our team, our coaches (past, present, and future), our university and our state. This is what, I think, this thread is simply calling us to do.

dedhoarsededhoarsededhoarsededhoarsededhoarsededhoarsededhoarse

This thread is about people who have no clue. This fan base hasn't changed one whit over the past forty years. We've always wanted a winner, we've always expected some things like academic excellence and integrity and "the Husker Way" and we've never had patience for losing, not one bit. There always have been and always will be "bad" fans out there. Hoping they go away is like hoping taxes go away.

Think about this: Name one time in the history of this program where all NU fans everywhere behaved as you say. IT HAS NEVER HAPPENED, not 100% of us. To act like it did, ever, is to have a very short-sighted view of what this fan base has always been.

Finally, someone who speaks without the blinders on. :w00t:w00t:w00t:w00t

But if it makes you "True Husker Fans" feel better. On behalf of Husker Nation I'll make TLS2 Bossbosshogg.jpgI'll make robsker Sheriff roscoe.jpgand I'll make HuskerNCoenos.jpgand FriscoTXHuskercletus3-1.jpgyour Deputies.

That way if you see people being "Bad Husker Fans" you can "Cuff em' and Stuff em'."

This thread is deteriorating into one of those "I'm a better Husker fan than you are" threads. Move on already. It's a new day, and the old regime is gone. Get over it.

As we look forward to a new head coach for our beloved Huskers, I'm wondering if the fans are ready to be 'new fans'. I've seen a very ugly side of people who call themselves 'Husker Fans' that I hope I don't ever see again. I hope that whoever comes in, even if it is someone who has been here before, we will be the 'best fans in the nation' once again, not a bunch of whiners and complainers.

Anyway, just food for thought. The new coach and the players old and new are going to need all the support we can give them. Are we up to supporting them, Husker fans?

:bonez:hellloooo:hellloooo:bonez

I re-read this again to see if my original thoughts about it were just a knee jerk reaction to something I disagreed with. Nope I don't think so.

TLS@ sounds so Soccer Mom. Lets make sure everyone gets a trophy, even the team that went 0 and 12.

That way they will know its OK to lose. Lets make sure that no one is offended in any way.

Sorry, I hate losing. Sorry, I hate the other team "because they play so good." I wanted Cally and Cos gone in the worst way because of what they were doing to the Huskers. Did I support them through the first three years, absolutely. Did I support them while streak after streak after streak ended until the only one left is the one that belongs to the fans, The Sell Out Streak, it hurt but yes I did. Will I support the new coach and his staff, completely and without question. Has my support for the team ever waivered, Not One Damn Bit.

I am an old time Husker fan and always will be and there are thousands and thousands like me. Are we all the same, no way, we all have our differences but one thing remains constant, our devotion to the University of Nebraska Football team and all Husker athletics.

Go Big Red.

>>>T_O_B

I re-read this again to see if my original thoughts about it were just a knee jerk reaction to something I disagreed with. Nope I don't think so.

TLS@ sounds so Soccer Mom. Lets make sure everyone gets a trophy, even the team that went 0 and 12.

That way they will know its OK to lose. Lets make sure that no one is offended in any way.

Sorry, I hate losing. Sorry, I hate the other team "because they play so good." I wanted Cally and Cos gone in the worst way because of what they were doing to the Huskers. Did I support them through the first three years, absolutely. Did I support them while streak after streak after streak ended until the only one left is the one that belongs to the fans, The Sell Out Streak, it hurt but yes I did. Will I support the new coach and his staff, completely and without question. Has my support for the team ever waivered, Not One Damn Bit.

I am an old time Husker fan and always will be and there are thousands and thousands like me. Are we all the same, no way, we all have our differences but one thing remains constant, our devotion to the University of Nebraska Football team and all Husker athletics.

Go Big Red.

>>>T_O_B

The intent of my original post was to encourage REAL HUSKER FANS (which you appear to be so the post didn't apply to you...why you thought it did is beyond me?) to step up and take care of those 'bandwagon/fair weather' fans that embarrassed us this year. Weren't you in the least bit concerned when jerks made the rest of us look bad? I sure was. It was embarrassing to be on national tv as fans that 'booed' their own players (even though we knew that many people were booing the coaches NOT the players-but the players didn't know that) It was very embarrassing, not only to me but many others on this board, when coaches children were being bullied at school because of their dad's job. It was embarrassing when our own players were complaining about fan behavior. But more than embarrassing, it was just plain old SAD. I've lived through the glory days. I love being considered 'the best fans in college football' Maybe now we can put those sorry chapters behind us and get on with being a great football team again, fans included!

To TOB I don't get your post. No, I'm not a soccer mom. I'm probably older than you are, which is older than dirt, and have followed Husker football for a very long time. I bleed as red as you do so take your gloves off...we're in the same corner friend! lol

Go Big Red.

>>>T_O_B

The intent of my original post was to encourage REAL HUSKER FANS (which you appear to be so the post didn't apply to you...why you thought it did is beyond me?) to step up and take care of those 'bandwagon/fair weather' fans that embarrassed us this year. Weren't you in the least bit concerned when jerks made the rest of us look bad? I sure was. It was embarrassing to be on national tv as fans that 'booed' their own players (even though we knew that many people were booing the coaches NOT the players-but the players didn't know that) It was very embarrassing, not only to me but many others on this board, when coaches children were being bullied at school because of their dad's job. It was embarrassing when our own players were complaining about fan behavior. But more than embarrassing, it was just plain old SAD. I've lived through the glory days. I love being considered 'the best fans in college football' Maybe now we can put those sorry chapters behind us and get on with being a great football team again, fans included!

To TOB I don't get your post. No, I'm not a soccer mom. I'm probably older than you are, which is older than dirt, and have followed Husker football for a very long time. I bleed as red as you do so take your gloves off...we're in the same corner friend! lol

Sorry, TSL2 sometimes I just get up on a soap box and preach. The only thing my ex-wife and my present wife agree on. I live in a city with a lot of Husker come latelys so occasionally I breath fire in the wrong direction.

Hope you are coming to:

The First Annual Husker Board Spring Whoop It UP and Party On Dude Party

to be held the day of the Spring Red and White Game.

>>>T_O_B

:cheers:cheers:cheers:cheers:cheers:cheers:cheers

Go Big Red.

>>>T_O_B

Sorry, TSL2 sometimes I just get up on a soap box and preach. The only thing my ex-wife and my present wife agree on. I live in a city with a lot of Husker come latelys so occasionally I breath fire in the wrong direction.

Hope you are coming to:

The First Annual Husker Board Spring Whoop It UP and Party On Dude Party

to be held the day of the Spring Red and White Game.

>>>T_O_B

:cheers:cheers:cheers:cheers:cheers:cheers:cheers

Glad to meet someone who is passionate about Husker Football! Thanks for the invite! Sounds like lots of fun!! (I'm a soapbox preacher too so you're in good company! lol :)

I sure hope that we NU fans react better with the new coaches and treat them better than we did the last coaches.

I've only been a fan since '70, but the longer I am, the more diverse our fanbase seems to be..(Probably due to reading so many more "Anonomous" posts as opposed to talking by the water cooler or bar.

I think..As a Whole..We pretty much reflect our coaching staff.

If the Head guy is respectful of our opponents, and generally behaves like a good person (And WINS!).

We seem to follow his lead.

Little things like "Throat slashes", or calling other fan bases "Effin something or others" probably bring out some of the sides of us we'd not like others to see...Probably growing up seeing players like Terell Owens or even That FSU cornerback that went on to play for Dallas..Can't seem to remember his name, now.."Prime time something"..Has taken to influencing some of the newer crowd.

So..In answer to the original Question..."Depends on the Coaching staff".

(No body gets a free pass).

I've only been a fan since '70, but the longer I am, the more diverse our fanbase seems to be..(Probably due to reading so many more "Anonomous" posts as opposed to talking by the water cooler or bar.

I think..As a Whole..We pretty much reflect our coaching staff.

If the Head guy is respectful of our opponents, and generally behaves like a good person (And WINS!).

We seem to follow his lead.

Little things like "Throat slashes", or calling other fan bases "Effin something or others" probably bring out some of the sides of us we'd not like others to see...Probably growing up seeing players like Terell Owens or even That FSU cornerback that went on to play for Dallas..Can't seem to remember his name, now.."Prime time something"..Has taken to influencing some of the newer crowd.

So..In answer to the original Question..."Depends on the Coaching staff".

(No body gets a free pass).

What excellent insight! Thanks!

My point exactly. If you're a true husker fan, you will support them no matter what. You won't boo them or pick on the coaches kids. THAT kind of behavior is not acceptable for true husker fans.

That is absolutely true.

But, I don't think we will hear Pelini tell us someting is too complicated for us to understand or dance around a question so we don't get a straight answer.