The Greatest College Football Player Battle

knapplc

All told we have 60 nominations. We can do this one of two ways - I can pare this list of 60 down to 32 and run an abbreviated contest, or we can get four more names and have a full field of 64.

This decision needs to be made today, since I want to put the first battles up tomorrow.

I will be creating an NCAA-style bracket that I'll post here for everyone's amusement.

Thanks to everyone who has made nominations so far. :thumbs

I almost nominated Singletary a couple of times but forgot both times.

Dickerson is a no-brainer - should have had him already.

Hampton and Street - I don't know them so much. But I'm cool with either.

Dan Hampton was an All-American defensive tackle for the Arkansas Razorbacks who went on to a long career with the Bears - he was the tackle along with Steve McMichael (of Texas) in that incredible Bears '85 defense that won the Super Bowl. While at Arkansas, he anchored the defense of a one-loss team that defeated then No. 1 Oklahoma in the Orange Bowl - all while three starters on offense were out. Held the Sooners' vaunted wishbone to six points.

James Street was an All-American quarterback for Texas when they went to the wishbone in the '60s. Won a national championship with them.

Three good nominations. Dayne added and seconded, Frazier and Woodhead seconded.

Speaking of Woodhead, have you seen the calves on that guy? They're like softballs!

Danny Woodhead???? Are you serious? Nothing against him, but let's be real. We are talking about the Greatest Players of All Time. Woodhead is a very, very good player. But there is no way he can be considered with the likes of H. Walker, Bo Jackson, Barry Sanders, Reggie Bush, etc.

and no way Jerry Rice should be considered either because he went to Mississippi Valley State right?

We're a little behind schedule on this so here are the seedings. If I've royally screwed this up it'll all work out in the polls anyway.

First battles will be posted in the next 30 minutes or so, and will run for 48 hours.

SEEDINGS

1 Barry Sanders

2 Archie Griffin

3 Bo Jackson

4 Jim Thorpe

5 Red Grange

6 Doak Walker

7 Jim Brown

8 OJ Simpson

9 Earl Campbell

10 Tommie Frazier

11 Gale Sayers

12 Billy Sims

13 Vince Young

14 Herschel Walker

15 Eric Dickerson

16 Jamelle Holieway

17 Mike Rozier

18 Will Shields

19 Orlando Pace

20 Rickey Williams

21 Eric Crouch

22 Roger Staubach

23 Sammy Baugh

24 Dave Rimington

25 Bronco Nagurski

26 Tony Dorsett

27 Marcus Allen

28 Dan Marino

29 Ron Dayne

30 Charlie Ward

31 Tom Harmon

32 Lawrence Taylor

33 Brian Bosworth

34 George Gipp

35 Johnny Rodgers

36 Glenn Davis

37 Terrell Suggs

38 Steve Emtman

39 Dick Butkus

40 Warren Sapp

41 Calvin Johnson

42 Larry Fitzgerald

43 Troy Davis

44 John Elway

45 Hugh Green

46 Rashaan Salaam

47 Trev Alberts

48 Mike Singletary

49 Mike Ditka

50 Charles Woodsen

51 Bernie Kosar

52 Larry Czonka

53 Charles Rodgers

54 James Street

55 John Hannah

56 Charley Trippi

57 Alex Karras

58 Bob Brown

59 Keyshawn Johnson

60 Dat Nguyen

61 Carl Eller

62 Dan Hampton

63 Sterling Sharpe

64 Tony Mandarich

• 2 weeks later...

Danny Woodhead???? Are you serious? Nothing against him, but let's be real. We are talking about the Greatest Players of All Time. Woodhead is a very, very good player. But there is no way he can be considered with the likes of H. Walker, Bo Jackson, Barry Sanders, Reggie Bush, etc.

and no way Jerry Rice should be considered either because he went to Mississippi Valley State right?

Right. Even though he had a stellar career, for consistency's sake we should keep it to Div. I-A schools.

Walter Payton <_<

I'm not sure I buy that "Wouldn't have the same success in Div.1" argument when you look at how they fared in the next level..You just never know what with better blocking, better schemes utilizing their talent...

• 3 weeks later...