New faces come Fall 2005?

DaveH

With the recruiting season starting to wind down a bit, I think a discussion of what we could possibly see pan out in the Spring and the Fall in the key positions would be good. I have been trying my damndest not to get too upbeat about next season :)

QB : Current QB Discussion

Now that Adams *should* be healthy and Taylor coming in, I look for one of the Juco's to take the job away from Joe. We need someone to make the passing game work at least a little bit.

RB: This is going to be a battle with Ross, Lucky, The Jackson 2, and Glenn. Green still needs to put some more weight on and I think Horne is no where to be found at that position. I think we could have a very good backfield come Fall. Don't count out Thomas Lawson either. ;)

WR: With Pilkington gone and Birkel making a less than graceful exit, this position is pretty wide open. I think anyone who can catch the ball and make something happen will get a good look.

TE: If Herian is healthy, you can take it to the bank IMO. Otherwise, Mueller IMO.

OL: Current OL discussion

DE: Right now I think it is Carriker and Moore. Muhammad can come in as a pass rush threat.

DL: Kinda iffy right now with the recruiting situation. What do you guys think given the current commits and who is here?

Well, folks, there are other positions as well, namely on the defensive side of the ball. Please bring them up (*cough-cornerbacks-cough*) But it's Christmas Day and my wife will be coming up the stairs shortly to yank me away from the computer :)

Merry Christmas.

qb- I dont' see adams ever seeing the field. I think he was a flop recruit from the beginning. He's looking at a 3rd or 4th string imo. Probably taylor starts but maybe beck. Kinda feel bad for joe.

rb- If ross doesn't start I would be suprised. Brandon j will be number 2 and lucky will rotate in some early and then fade off. Leon will get moved to defense, and glenn will redshirt. Green will fight hard for pt but will transfer after this year.

Tight end- Herian will struggle to get healthy in time but if he does will be the starter of course. I hope mueller steps up his game as he was highly rated. Phillips will play alot because of his blocking. Potter is cocky and thinks he is going to come in and play right away so we will see. Or is he playing defense?

Wr- Leflore, fluellen, and nunn will be the big 3 guns and I'm sure one of them freshman will play but the other will probs redshirt and be a flop. Mulkey will see pt again.

Dtackle- Will be the same 3 playing again in smith,adams, and teamer. None great but all are ok.

Dends- Wall and carriker I hope start. Moore will be right up.

Linebackers-biggest question mark to me. ARe the 2 jucos everything they are said to be? Are they the next farely and williams? It's hard to say. If they are they will be on the outside spots. Where does bradley fit in? Move inside or fight for starting outside spot? Is Dilliard going to be ready to play middle as a true frosh? IS bo ruud going to be as good as barrett and start this year? How about mckeon and branderaugh? BIg questions here.

No doubt there are plenty of questions this early. That being said it is way to early to say anyone will fade away or transfer after this year. I wouldn't be surprised to see someone like Green move to a different position. I wasn't exactly looking for crystal ball predictions here. ;):)

newearth, what do you think about the QB position at this point? WR? RB?

I'd like to see what Robert Rands can do on special teams. We can't go another year having no threat of returning a kick IMO.

Why don't you think Lucky is going to be any good? You really think he will fade at the end of the season? We'll see I guess. Can't say I agree with you but that's nothing new.

I think he'll play some and do good against a weak non conference schedule but once big 12 comes around he won't do much. Have roles similiar to jackson and green this year.

Why don't you think Lucky is going to be any good? You really think he will fade at the end of the season? We'll see I guess. Can't say I agree with you but that's nothing new.

I think he'll play some and do good against a weak non conference schedule but once big 12 comes around he won't do much. Have roles similiar to jackson and green this year.

In true cally fashion, he'll probably make Lucky burn a redshirt year, even though TB is where they are the strongest, give him quite a few carries early, then sit him and let him waste away on the bench late in the year when they finally figure out that at this point in his career, he isnt better than Ross and Green.

That is, if he qualifies.

In true cally fashion, he'll probably make Lucky burn a redshirt year, even though TB is where they are the strongest, give him quite a few carries early, then sit him and let him waste away on the bench late in the year when they finally figure out that at this point in his career, he isnt better than Ross and Green.

That is, if he qualifies.

yep thats about right.

I agree with most posts on the subject.... Just thought I would add my two-cents

QB: I think that Daily has a leg up and will come out of Spring listed #1, but Taylor will be under center for the season opener, with Daily and Adams sitting in the wings...Hopefully, Beck will be willing to redshirt and fully learn the offense for 2206.

RB: I believe that Ross has a strong hold on #1, with Lucky and Brandon Jackson serving as more than reliable backups to begin the year... Leon Jackson to DB and Horne to SE/WB type of player......Green probably designated to special teams duties only.

OL: Not much new here....Murtha should be huge contributor.

WR: Nunn and Fluellen impact players with hopefully a freshman coming in...Not expecting much from LeFlore.

TE: We need Herien to return to form....Must utilize this position more!!!!

Defense:

DE: Not much of change here.... Fairly solid, especially with Thomas gone

DT: Same..... Still needs much improvement

LB: I see Octavien and Moore being contibutors right a way as starters to "nickle" type of players.... Bradley in middle, but pushed by freshman Dillard... Bo Ruud will see the field in some capacity

DB: Bullocks solid, but we could use guys like Adams-Meyers White and Reggie Smith ???? Of course Washington will be solid

DB: Bullocks solid, but we could use guys like Adams-Meyers White and Reggie Smith ???? Of course Washington will be solid

With Washington gone now, our secondary has the possibilty to be even more thin. We need Meyers-White and Smith more now IMO. Luckily, I think they will both end up Huskers.

With Washington gone now, our secondary has the possibilty to be even more thin. We need Meyers-White and Smith more now IMO. Luckily, I think they will both end up Huskers.

I hope we get them both, but don't they both want to play safety?

One thing with these coaches, surprises keep popping up. I'm sure they're in on some kids we have no idea about, kind of like Ola.

I hope we get them both, but don't they both want to play safety?

One thing with these coaches, surprises keep popping up. I'm sure they're in on some kids we have no idea about, kind of like Ola.

I don't know what they both want to play, but I know Smith can play just about anywhere in the defensive backfield.

:wtf

All of a sudden, even with the highly ranked recruiting class, I begin to wonder if it will be enough to plug the holes?

I was hoping some of these "hot-shots" could red-shirt, but hell, we may need most to play NOW.

With Pilkington, Fabian, and now possible LeKevin Smith (?)... Smith is not ready for the NFL..... Hell, he couldn't even take over a "series" last yr. let of lone of game.... He is not a "difference maker", but we need him

** Rumors saying that Boateng is headed to Florida :wacko:

With all of this, and a month left of recruiting......What NOW becomes our priority in recruiting?

My Thoughts: (top 5 needs at this point)

1. Reggie Smith: We need a tall, physical DB to replace Fabian

2. Suh: (DT): If you can't stop the run, you can't win.

* Plus Cryer needs to get the damn grades !!!!

3. Chris Brooks: We need an impact player here.

4. Brandon LaFell: See above (Listed behind Brooks, because I feel we have

a better shot at Brooks)

5. Adam Meyers-White: Another shut down DB to add depth

These are just HANC's priorities... If we could get all 5, I would be happy as pie :clap

I know what you are talking about HANC, but I am sure there are guys that will be commiting that we dont' even know about. One thing I have learned about this recruiting staff is that they seem to always have someone waiting in the wings in case they don't get who they want exactly.

If we don't get these guys, the class is a long way from being tanked. That's for sure.

I'm beginning to wonder what the coaches know about the DB's they're going after. For some reason we have offered a sholarship to Justin Thornton out of St Joseph, MO. His other offers were KU and Missouri. Do they know something about Smith and Meyers-White that would make them suddenly offer this kid? He's a 3* prospect that seems to have a bit less to offer than the other 2.