The Answer

Hey gents,

I've been quite busy lately, but I've been keeping up with developments (or lack thereof) in our nuclear recruiting fallout. I wasn't particularly expecting a defensive drop of this magnitude, but such is life, and as they say, it's not how you perform when you're up, but when you're down.

My basic reason for not pressing the panic button and sucking down bottles of antacids is this:

Winning solves everything.

At this point recruits have very logical and simple reasons for taking their wagon and moving out west. Yes, the Colorado bit is baffling, considering the lackluster essence of the Buffaloes, but speaking to their decommitments, it makes sense why they are doing it. They're being traded an unproven head-coach with several unproven assistants in place of a former NFL offensive "guru" who promised them the world in diamonds. Whatever. It doesn't matter.

What matters is that we win. Because next season after we've demolished the overrated Colorado Buffaloes and our players are dancing their way back to the locker room to celebrate, the turncoats are going to have to hang their heads as their 6-6 season comes to a close, and they watch What Could Have Been stroll right past them on the way to something special. Football isn't a game built on shining stars. Ask Charlie Weis.

I don't blame the recruits for their decision; in fact I almost pity them. They get to go play for the likes of Colorado fans, for heaven sake. I wouldn't wish that sentence on my worst enemy. Instead of being embraced by the entire state of Nebraska, they get to fade into obscurity somewhere in the wintry Rockies. God speed, gentlemen.

But to return to point, I believe we have enough depth to last us a season. Ultimately this whole thing comes down to winning, and I believe Bo Pelini, Shawn Watson, and Tom Osborne will figure out a way to do that. Like it or not, we may face a season of rebuilding. Bo Pelini may have fire in his belly, but it better spread throughout the team quick if we hope to see a turnaround from last season. The stains of that failure may yet haunt the players who witnessed and caused it, but that's something only time will tell.

Go Big Red.

X

:bonez:steam:steam:bonez

Well said X. I sometimes worry and wonder how a kid would bail on Nebraska but then when I remember that they are just impreshionable kids I can see why we are losing some of them. 4 and 5 stars behind your name doesn't necessairly translate into All American at the college level. We will field a competitive team next year, and the next, and the next, and the next, and on and on. I was never real comfortable with What's His Name but I feel real good about Ozzie, Bo P, and the staff they have assembled. As for the recruits I remember a line from the movie "Field of Dreams", "If you build it, they will come." Our field is Tom Osborne Field, in Memorial Stadium.

>>>T_O_B

:bonez:cheers:cheers:bonez

Hey gents,

[What matters is that we win. Because next season after we've demolished the overrated Colorado Buffaloes and our players are dancing their way back to the locker room to celebrate, the turncoats are going to have to hang their heads as their 6-6 season comes to a close, and they watch What Could Have Been stroll right past them on the way to something special. Football isn't a game built on shining stars. Ask Charlie Weis.]

:yeah

By the end of next season, this game will top off a nice turn around for the program and for future recruiting. We may not win the North next year but I have to believe we will be playing at a much higher level than we did the last 10 games of this year. 7 or 8 wins not out of reach for next year.

GBR!!!