DE Commits and QB will walk on

California DE commits to Nebraska

BY BRIAN CHRISTOPHERSON / Lincoln Journal Star

Saturday, Dec 29, 2007 - 01:08:49 am CST

Quentin Toailoa sure knew a way to surprise his parents for Christmas.

When they opened up their presents, they found T-shirts with a picture of a familiar face on it, and the words “My son’s a Husker.”

Toailoa actually committed to Nebraska on Dec. 20. But he asked the coaches if they could keep it quiet, lest his Christmas present to his folks be ruined.

“They looked at it funny,” Toailoa says. “It took them about 10 seconds to get it.”

The 6-foot-5, 285-pound defensive tackle from Redlands (Calif.) East Valley High School is a big prize for Husker coach Bo Pelini, who is trying to shore up a defensive line that couldn’t stop the run last year.

Toailoa gives Nebraska two defensive linemen — the other being Cameron Meredith — in its 2008 recruiting class, now at 16 oral commitments.

“I just knew the tradition that was at Nebraska before when Bo Pelini was there,” Toailoa said. “He turned that Blackshirt defense around. Having him come back as a defensive-minded coach, it just fit for me.”

Rated by both Scout.com and Rivals.com as a three-star player, Toailoa recorded 92 tackles and three sacks last season.

He said about 15 schools offered him scholarships — Oregon, Arizona and Fresno State among them.

Toailoa also said there’s no way he’s backing out of this commitment.

“I don’t want all these other schools coming in and trying to pull me in,” he said. “I just wanted to end it right now.”

The Huskers also recently picked up a walk-on in former Lincoln East standout Jim Ebke.

A first-team Super-State quarterback in 2006, Ebke spent this fall as a redshirt linebacker at South Dakota State. He wants a shot at playing quarterback for Nebraska.

“I’ll be a scout player this year. I just have to earn a spot,” Ebke said. “It’s always been a dream of mine to play at Nebraska.”

Despite accumulating more than 2,700 yards of total offense as a senior, East coach John Gingery said Ebke didn’t draw much interest from NU’s previous coaching staff.

“He’s a winner,” Gingery said. “Jimmy just brings so many facets to the game, his leadership, his determination. He makes everyone else around him better. He’s one of those kids.”

California DE commits to Nebraska

BY BRIAN CHRISTOPHERSON / Lincoln Journal Star

Saturday, Dec 29, 2007 - 01:08:49 am CST

Quentin Toailoa sure knew a way to surprise his parents for Christmas.

When they opened up their presents, they found T-shirts with a picture of a familiar face on it, and the words “My son’s a Husker.”

Toailoa actually committed to Nebraska on Dec. 20. But he asked the coaches if they could keep it quiet, lest his Christmas present to his folks be ruined.

“They looked at it funny,” Toailoa says. “It took them about 10 seconds to get it.”

The 6-foot-5, 285-pound defensive tackle from Redlands (Calif.) East Valley High School is a big prize for Husker coach Bo Pelini, who is trying to shore up a defensive line that couldn’t stop the run last year.

Toailoa gives Nebraska two defensive linemen — the other being Cameron Meredith — in its 2008 recruiting class, now at 16 oral commitments.

“I just knew the tradition that was at Nebraska before when Bo Pelini was there,” Toailoa said. “He turned that Blackshirt defense around. Having him come back as a defensive-minded coach, it just fit for me.”

Rated by both Scout.com and Rivals.com as a three-star player, Toailoa recorded 92 tackles and three sacks last season.

He said about 15 schools offered him scholarships — Oregon, Arizona and Fresno State among them.

Toailoa also said there’s no way he’s backing out of this commitment.

“I don’t want all these other schools coming in and trying to pull me in,” he said. “I just wanted to end it right now.”

The Huskers also recently picked up a walk-on in former Lincoln East standout Jim Ebke.

A first-team Super-State quarterback in 2006, Ebke spent this fall as a redshirt linebacker at South Dakota State. He wants a shot at playing quarterback for Nebraska.

“I’ll be a scout player this year. I just have to earn a spot,” Ebke said. “It’s always been a dream of mine to play at Nebraska.”

Despite accumulating more than 2,700 yards of total offense as a senior, East coach John Gingery said Ebke didn’t draw much interest from NU’s previous coaching staff.

“He’s a winner,” Gingery said. “Jimmy just brings so many facets to the game, his leadership, his determination. He makes everyone else around him better. He’s one of those kids.”

To young Mr. Toailoa ---- WELCOME!

Glad to have you aboard. Your attitude seems great and the enthusiasm you have for Big Red is really encouraging. Let me tell you that as a Husker fan I look forward to rooting you on for the next 4 (or 5 years). As an NU graduate, let me also say that you picked a fine academic community to be part of.

So --- once more welcome and the best to you.