Next year

Just thinking about the conference next year, and it doesn't look that bad! (Of course, I'm ever the optimist).

We have a pretty decent team returning next year. Granted, we were 5-6 this year, but I'm sure everyone would agree we played well below the level we should have. And we also have some serious talent coming in. Look at the bigger players in the Big XII, and here's what you've got:

TX - Lots of talent return, lose their horse at RB but they seem to reload. Very legitimate chance to win the league.

OU - Loses 16 starters including Heisman-winning QB. Incoming QB more athletic than White but may not have the knowledge of the offense. Will probably win most games but will not be as powerful as this year.

ATM - With McNeal and Lewis returning, should be a pretty dangerous team.

OkieSt - Loss of coach never helps, look at NU 2004.

TxTch - Is Hodges going to take over for Cumbie? Well coached team, not as talented as the others in the South but able to beat them on any given day.

KST - Aren't really bringing in any real talent, lose Sproles. Will they be any better next year?

CU - Barnett did a great job this year, but their self-imposed recruiting regulations are not helping them get many top players. Klatt returns, but who replaces Purify?

Mizzu - Smith returns, but Pinkel is plugging him into a system that he can't seem to grasp, kind of like Dailey. Talented, underachieving team.

IA St, KU, Baylor shouldn't make much noise.

I'm not necessarily saying we'll win the league next year, but if all goes well and we improve next year with some better athletes, anything is possible. We should hopefully be in earshot of the North title once again.

I think if you look at Kansas' scores from last year you'll think otherwise:

Texas Tech 31, KU 30

NU 14, KU 8

ISU 13, KU 7

Texas 27, KU 23

KU probably should have won 2 of these games. Up 20+ on TTU at half. Had several chances to beat NU. They beat CU, KSU and Missouri. Even win two of these games and they win the north.

ISU may not make a whole lot of noise but they were an overtime loss to Missouri away from winning the division and I believe ISU returns more starters than anyone in the North.

You are right, Baylor sucks.

I sure as heck hope we win the North, but the way I see it (ever the pessimist) the only sure wins next year are Maine, Wake Forest and Baylor.

thanks for starting the topic.....never get tired of speculating, that's the only thing that keeps us going.

Hoyamann....right on bse with you analysis of each team...

OU will slip a little, and I think that last night's loss may create a bigger "hang-over" than people might think

Texas should be favorite in south

T A-M: biggest disappointment in bowls (OU ?).... May have gotten my nod for

south next yr. until they looked horrible in bowl..Franchionne is better

this team showed.

TT: Can't figure this team out....Week to Week, game to game

North:

ISU: most returning starters in north....but I think they really over-achieved

Got on a roll and believed in the hype.... could make noise, but not good

enought to come into Lincoln and win...( I know.......I know...SMU)

KU: This is the most dangerous team in north....tons of injuries this season.

very talented and it scares me to have that game at Lawrence next yr.

(Plus Mangino could win coach's wrestle-off in event of tie)...

Agree with Touchdown Tommie

CU: sanctions will catch up.....but we play there

MU: Probably should be favorite again, but will Pinkel wake up in time ?

KSU: Should still be answering questions and self-doubting over this yr.

NU: Can only be better... Yr 2 of staff, system.....incoming talent....Have

a chance, but difficult road games (KU-MU-CU) make things unlikely, but

it will happen soon !!!! :cheers

OU will slip a little, and I think that last night's loss may create a bigger "hang-over" than people might think

So hard to count OU out. Even if Texas has a bunch returning, look for Texas to still struggle against OU. OU just reloads, i.e. Huskers (1990's) They will have the best RB in the country coming back and the #1 QB recruit from two years starting. Not to mention a good shot at grabbing the number 1 recruiting class this year.

Texas will go 11-1 or 10-1 again. :rollin

I agree with Eric, Texas will again lose to OU. I don't care if Mack Brown had the all Big 12 team, he'd still find a way to lose to Stoops. A&M and Tech could be as dangerous as they come in the South along with OU. Until proven otherwise, the North will be as up in the air next year as it was this year. It could be NU, CU, KU, or anybody else for that matter. I don't think there is one clear choice up North.

I agree with Eric, Texas will again lose to OU. I don't care if Mack Brown had the all Big 12 team, he'd still find a way to lose to Stoops. A&M and Tech could be as dangerous as they come in the South along with OU. Until proven otherwise, the North will be as up in the air next year as it was this year. It could be NU, CU, KU, or anybody else for that matter. I don't think there is one clear choice up North.

Agree with you totally about the North junior, but I believe TX will get over OU next year if they can replace Benson. OU will definitely reload, but TX reloads every year as well, and Vince Young could be the difference. OU may lose a couple coaches this year as well, which could have an impact.