Grades

HANC

:wtf

What do Rodney Piccou, Leon Jackson, Marlon Lucky, Broderick Hunter, Barry Cryer have in common ?

1. They are all "prize" gets for the 2005 recruiting class...currently ranked #1

* nice job of recruiting :)

AND

2. They are all struggling to reach the requirements to enroll. How many of

these "studs" are never going to be on campus because of academic

reasons.... Meaning, a wasted scholarship offer and a "big" hit to our

2005 class. Don't you think that maybe the coaches may want to

look at how close an athlete is to the proper grades? I can see a

few kids, but at least 5 big time guys......common on :wacko:

:wtf

What do Rodney Piccou, Leon Jackson, Marlon Lucky, Broderick Hunter, Barry Cryer have in common ?

1. They are all "prize" gets for the 2005 recruiting class...currently ranked #1

* nice job of recruiting :)

AND

2. They are all struggling to reach the requirements to enroll. How many of

these "studs" are never going to be on campus because of academic

reasons.... Meaning, a wasted scholarship offer and a "big" hit to our

2005 class. Don't you think that maybe the coaches may want to

look at how close an athlete is to the proper grades? I can see a

few kids, but at least 5 big time guys......common on :wacko:

Not suprising, so much for cally and co being the recruiting wizards.

The more time that passes, the more evident it is that these coaches are not very bright.

Imagine if TO would not have taken such 'intellectuals' as Terrell Farley, Lawrence Phillips, etc. Sometimes the most talented guys aren't geniuses. I believe there are tutors helping all of these guys get qualified, and most probably will. Heck, Brandon Jackson added 10 points to his ACT score last year with a little studying.

Imagine if TO would not have taken such 'intellectuals' as Terrell Farley, Lawrence Phillips, etc. Sometimes the most talented guys aren't geniuses. I believe there are tutors helping all of these guys get qualified, and most probably will. Heck, Brandon Jackson added 10 points to his ACT score last year with a little studying.

Point well taken. I just get pissed off thinking about all of these guys who aren't gauranteed to ever step on campus, even if they sign LOI.

Barry Cryer sounds a lot like Cornelius Thomas from last yr.... A highly touted Juco, who showed up about 6 months too late to matter... Hell, Barry can't even enroll for classes yet.... Says he is still moving to Lincoln, but may not take classes. No classes....No practices !!!!!

Rumor on other post is that the reason why Auburn may be backing off of Powe, is because he may have absolutely NO chance in qualifying academically.... So, he is visiting NU, because he probably knows that BC may not care.

I just hope none of these scholarships get wasted because we offer to a "big name", 4-5 star IDIOT just to say we have the #1 class, instead of offering to a 3 star kid who may come in, work his ass off and be intelligent enough to learn the system....

[/b]The top 5 ranking means squat anyway, especially if a few of the kids cant' qualify.

But, I understand what you are saying Hoyamann, and you are right... I'll back off and relax a little. :smokin

Last I checked, Farley, Phillips, etc. actually made the grades and were eligible for their entire careers.

Who knows about this handful of players for the 05' class.

Another thing, people are knocking Solich's recruiting (and maybe rightfully so) but if I remember correctly (and I do) when the Big 12 was formed, they raised the entrance requirements from that of the old Big 8, due mostly to the Tex-ass schools insistance. Remember, guys like T Williams, Tomich, etc were partial or non-qualifiers who played huge roles in the NC teams. TO only had to go through that hardship for 2 years (and who knows, maybe that was factored into his decision to retire), couple that with the fact that Darlington, Young, and Tenopir didnt go out and hit the road hard, and FS was kindof doomed from the get-go.

My reference to Farley and Phillips wasn't only to point out that they couldn't qualify, just that they were pretty dumb. The tutors at big time college FB programs are gonna make sure their stars make the grades. If you listen to the kids coming in now, they all seem to have really good character. I'm not sure about a guy like Powe, someone that (allegedly) got into a fight with his coach. And we're not high after Callahan Bright, another allegedly troubled individual.

As far as Darlington, Tenopir, and Young not going out and hitting the recruiting trail hard, I blame Solich for that. Life right now in Big Red Country would be much better right now had him and his ego tried to run this program into the dirt. If Callahan would have taken over for TO we would have the bowl streak and the 9-win season streak still in place.

It goes like this. Some football players are dumb. They are good at football and that's about it. Some of the best players are this way. Every school has it's share of players that have trouble qualifying. NU isn't any different. The reason it seems different now is that everything is under the microscope now. People are paying attention to every facet of the program. Well, these facets have always been there.

And yes, the scholarship restrictions in the mid-late 90's,I believe, make it harder to get just about anyone qualified.