TO as a young man

Hskr86

LJS 'old clip' run today

original publish date: Jan. 11, 1959

Osborne is State College Athlete of Year

When Hastings College counts its blessings, it starts by counting the athletic and scholastic achievements of Tom Osborne.

Here’s what makes Tom Osborne a repeat choice as the 1958 Sunday Journal and Star Nebraska State College Athlete of the Year:

Four varsity football letters.

Three varsity basketball letters (another on its way this season).

Three varsity track letters (another due this spring).

Summer participation in baseball.

A-minus scholastic average through 3 ½ years of college.

Selected three successive years as Sunday Journal and Star All-NCC football quarterback.

Selected two successive years (a third possible this season) on Sunday Journal and Star All-NCC basketball team.

Sunday school teaching and regular church and youth work through high school and college career.

All-America small college mention for football and basketball.

Candidate for 1959 Rhodes Scholarship.

All-State high school basketball and football recognition.

What else could a college senior list as achievements?

Osborne’s record leaves little to be desired.

Tom, a senior majoring in history and minoring in English and economics, becomes the first to repeat as the Sunday Journal and Star athlete of the year. Last year, he became the initial junior to receive the coveted award.

Tom, who turns 22 in February, has been a first-stringer on Hastings College football, basketball, and track teams for four years.

He’s a top-flight T-formation quarterback and a triple threat performer. Osborne-quarterbacked teams won one Nebraska State College title, were second twice and fifth once.

Tom’s plans for the future are indefinite. He’s certain to do graduate work at some university, however, the site is still unknown. A law degree is one of Tom’s goals at the present time.

Pro football could figure in Osborne’s immediate future, although he has had no defining offers.

“I’d be very interested in giving the game a try if the opportunity arose,” Tom stated. “The tryouts would be early enough in the summer that I could still start my graduate work in the fall if I didn’t make a pro club.”

The likeable redhead admits he’s not figuring on the pro game in his future plans.

And he did play pro ball. For the 49s and Redskins....before he came back to NU. NU DID offer him a scholarship, but he had family ties to Hastings college. Plus NU wasn't very good at the time.

Sounds like he would have been a definate 5 star player though.

Not only did he have ties, but I thought he grew up across the street from campus.....I think anyways???? Pretty good athlete...