The "only uniform change" that should be considered...

I can see the whole "earning the right" to wear the patches, but I was in the regular army for almost 8 years and I don't have a problem with it. If they did it on Vet's day, it's just a tribute to the servicemen and woman protecting our country. I'm saying use the Nebraska National Guard patch or a patch that represents all service branches.

I like the auction idea, and i'm sure there'd be no shortage of support.

But if you wanted to take it a step further, here's another idea. When I was living in Bakersfield, the local minor league hockey team auctioned off desert camo versions of their practice jersey's that they'd wear during the pregame skate. They could do something like that, and I think it'd do pretty well.

No problem with doing something like the desert camo version of the uni... I personally wouldn't buy one but that's just me..

For myself, I have a lot of guys in my family that served, and I myself went to a military academy.. washed out because of kidney disease, but I went. I can get on board with doing an original patch just not any actual unit patches or actual military patches or insignia. Leave those as sacred.

It's kind of like earning a varsity letter. You don't get to wear it unless you earn it. When I was in school I lettered in footaball as a freshman and the Letterman's group (M Club) didn't want to let me put a Letter patch on my jacket because I hadn't earned two. They had a 'club rule' about it. I wore it anyway. I earned it, it was mine. I just didn't get into M Club until I earned the second one my sophmore year. That was the year my kidney went bad so I never got a shot at a third.

I guess what I'm getting at is those varsity letters are special to me, and I wouldn't want them passed out for just anything. Military patches even more so since those people sometimes die for them. Make an honorary patch if you want, but leave the real thing sacred.

Just my 2 cents.

As a Veteran, I am wholeheartedly against this. Unit patches are worn by those in that unit. You want to wear one, JOIN THE ARMY!

I have to disagree with you there...and I am a veteran. I think any recognition that we can give our troops, especially when they are making the sacrifices that they have been over the years, we should do it. There are too many units that don't get the recognition that they deserve. Not everyone is in the 101st or the 82nd...and there aren't many people that could name many other units than those two.

I respect your opinion, but then I have to share my own in the same regard. Thanks for your service, man. :)

I was in the USMC and we didn't clutter up our uniforms with patches like the dogfaces (another friendly rivalry!). But we did have unofficial unit patches that we wore on jackets, etc.

I would be proud to send one of my 2nd Force Recon Co. patches for one of the guys to wear!! I consider this idea to be great!! Support our guys!!

USMC...USA...USN...USAF...USCG...ANG...AFNG :cheers:cheers:cheers

• 3 weeks later...