New Walk-On

K so this is like fourth hand information. My mom was told by her friend(the superendents' wife) that Barney Cotton was in Maxwell, Nebraska I believe it was yesterday to recruit Kiefer Burke as a Walk-on, Bo was supposed to be there but was held up by the snow. He had offers to Iowa St, Wyoming, Chadron St and UNK. Was set up to take visits to Chadron St and UNK and has reportedly(by my Mom, haha) canceled. So yeah nothing like small town gossip, but I couldn't help but let you guys in because I knew he was being recruited by Iowa St and Wyoming but when I heard that Barney was in my home town I got goosebumps. I hope he is 'N' as I've seen him play many times and all I can say is "Mackovicka", Maxwell plays 8 man football and anytime someone would hit Keifer, it would be a speed bump, he'd gain a couple more yards and you hardly ever see him get tackled by less that 3 people. The way it was implied to me is that he is going to be we walking on at Nebraska. I tried looking for stats, videos etc, but can't find anything I just had to share to get rid of the goosebumps. Mostly because Maxwell was in the dumps when it came to football, we made state in 91 and then my sophomore year(02) we finally broke the loosing streak of like 40ish games. They went 9-1 this year, went undefeated in the regular season and lost because they had to play on the road in the second round which is just dumb. I'm not sure how the playoffs are ran but I think it's "Dee Dee Dee" that a team that is 9-0 has to play a 7-2 team 2 hours away. The story I got is everyone gets to play a home game which is "Dee Dee Dee", I think if a team is undefeated they have deserved the right to play at home they seed teams using their points system why not grant home field based off that same points system???? A lil off subject but that has been bothering me since November anyway.

Go Wildcats(Maxwell that is) and Go Big RED!!

So he's a RB/FB?

Well he played 8 man ball and he was the best athlete on the team, he did it all. There was another back who is a speedster and they split alot of carries. He played FB in I Formation but, they would go single back and alternate. He played LB on the otherside of the ball, was the kicker on the kickoff team, not a good kicker but would kick the ball and then go make the tackle. I don't have specific measurements on him, I'd guesstimate 6'1' 210 4.6. Either way he's good in the classroom and has tremendous work ethic, lives in the wieghtroom. Also I have no clue as to what position NU is wanting him to walk on for, I'll call home tonight and ask.

Yeah, I just graduated from Maxwell last year. He verbally committed to Barney Cotton during his visit. He is being recruited as a walk on athlete, and is being looked at to play either d-end or center. He's about 6' 4" 240, benches over 400 lbs, squats 600, and runs a 4.6 forty. I have also watched him 360 dunk a basketball.

Yeah, I just graduated from Maxwell last year. He verbally committed to Barney Cotton during his visit. He is being recruited as a walk on athlete, and is being looked at to play either d-end or center. He's about 6' 4" 240, benches over 400 lbs, squats 600, and runs a 4.6 forty. I have also watched him 360 dunk a basketball.

How's it going Dustin. Good to hear for keifer, what's the news on Feeney is he getting any offers? By the way this is Ochsner.

Oh and since it isn't pay infromation I'll give you the article from the North Platte Telegraph, they just want you to sign up so they know who is reading.

"MAXWELL - When a once in a lifetime opportunity is thrown your way, usually you will take it, and that's the case for one Max-well High School senior.

Keifer Burke, a 6-foot-2, 240-pound athlete and Maxwell High student accepted an walk-on offer from Nebraska offensive line coach Barney Cotton, Tuesday, at the Maxwell High School.

Burke will be just one of 15 football players from across Nebraska that the Huskers will look to recruit in an attempt to revive the walk-on program that former coach Bill Callahan and staff did away with.

"They liked his size, speed, and power. They realized he could play on both sides of the ball. He is a versatile player," Maxwell head football coach Ryan Jones said. "They want him to work hard and earn a starting spot. They said that everyone is going to get a chance."

Nebraska will look for Burke to play somewhere on the defensive line, most likely on the end position, but Jones said that Cotton feels he could have the opportunity at any position he works toward.

"He is such a good kid and he has worked hard. If you work hard, you are coachable, and you get good grades, they will find you, and that just proves that point," Jones said. "He's just one of those kids that he didn't care about the glory, as long as we won."

A walk-on opportunity means that Burke will have to pay for all tuition, fees, books, and room and board, but he will be treated the same as a scholarship player and he could be eligi-ble for a scholarship down the road.

Keifer helped lead Maxwell to its first quarterfinal playoff appearance since 1991 and the Wildcats also defeated Overton for the district title.

Cotton flew into the North Platte Airport on a private jet, where Jones and athletic director Aub Boucher picked him up and drove him to the Maxwell gym.

According to Jones, the elementary students lined the high school hallway to the gym and greeted Cotton with chants of "Go Big Red."

Burke, his family, coaches, and a small amount of media were on hand for the visit.

Keifer is the son of Brad and Sandy Burke."

Hey, is Coach Humphrey still at Maxwell? I coach in SWI and know Coach from way-way back....we saw them two years ago at a football camp at Peru State....I had a very good team and we actually beat them in a 20-play scrimmage, but I remember talking to Coach Humphrey about this "sophomore" FB and LB.... I wonder if this is the kid...... he didn't hurt us on offense, but at LB, he scared the hell of out me......in fact, I told our RB's to get down if they were being held up, because this kid would fly in and take their head off....... remember, he was only a sophomore, so the "offense" comment was not to be taken as a negative..... Good to hear that Maxwell is having success.......my 1st coaching job was in their conference and was an assistant fb coach that coached against them for 2 years.....

Hey, is Coach Humphrey still at Maxwell? I coach in SWI and know Coach from way-way back....we saw them two years ago at a football camp at Peru State....I had a very good team and we actually beat them in a 20-play scrimmage, but I remember talking to Coach Humphrey about this "sophomore" FB and LB.... I wonder if this is the kid...... he didn't hurt us on offense, but at LB, he scared the hell of out me......in fact, I told our RB's to get down if they were being held up, because this kid would fly in and take their head off....... remember, he was only a sophomore, so the "offense" comment was not to be taken as a negative..... Good to hear that Maxwell is having success.......my 1st coaching job was in their conference and was an assistant fb coach that coached against them for 2 years.....

No, Coach went somewhere, haha. That is what happens when you move out of town and don't talk to your mother enough. Chuck was a good guy, and is the major reason why Maxwell is now on a good track. He was the start of the attitude adjustment that has taken place at maxwell, I personally think we had more overall talent when I was there but we had p-poor attitude if we got down we were as good as done. We started off my sophomore year by putting a whoopin on a top rated team in wheatland, but then the next game we had to play a top rated team in Eustis Farnam got it handed to us in the first half, and we actually fought in the second half and competeded. The next week we had a top rated Elwood team on our hands and got destroyed and we pretty much quit on the year. The new coach is Ryan Jones, and from just how I watched him on the sidelines in the 4 or 5 games I was back for this year he is a heck of a coach and if he sticks around you will see Maxwell in Lincoln sometime very soon. Maxwell put a lot into the weight room when Coach Humphrey was there, in the 80's and 90's when Maxwell was a power they did it off the work ethic of farm boys, lately there has been an influx of kids from North Platte who there parents seek a better education that is granted at a smaller school like Maxwell, the problem was that the work ethic wasn't there but that is now turned around and I couldn't be prouder. There's something about a smaller school that most people just don't get. BTW, if you coached in our District between 99-03, I started on the O-line the whole time and chances are you coached against me, where did you coach at??

Also BTW, Coach Humphreys' first year was my sophomore year, and I was part of the work ethic problem, the previous coach was Aub Boucher was then and still is the AD and BBall coach, he is a heck of a BBall coach and guy, but as a football coach looking back he just didnt' push us hard enough, the first week of two a days under Coach Humphrey, I quit the team, 2 days latter and after a arse chewing by my mother and by Coach Humphrey I was back at it again and never had a second thought after that, I just wasn't ust to working hard.

K so this is like fourth hand information. My mom was told by her friend(the superendents' wife) that Barney Cotton was in Maxwell, Nebraska I believe it was yesterday to recruit Kiefer Burke as a Walk-on, Bo was supposed to be there but was held up by the snow. He had offers to Iowa St, Wyoming, Chadron St and UNK. Was set up to take visits to Chadron St and UNK and has reportedly(by my Mom, haha) canceled. So yeah nothing like small town gossip, but I couldn't help but let you guys in because I knew he was being recruited by Iowa St and Wyoming but when I heard that Barney was in my home town I got goosebumps. I hope he is 'N' as I've seen him play many times and all I can say is "Mackovicka", Maxwell plays 8 man football and anytime someone would hit Keifer, it would be a speed bump, he'd gain a couple more yards and you hardly ever see him get tackled by less that 3 people. The way it was implied to me is that he is going to be we walking on at Nebraska. I tried looking for stats, videos etc, but can't find anything I just had to share to get rid of the goosebumps. Mostly because Maxwell was in the dumps when it came to football, we made state in 91 and then my sophomore year(02) we finally broke the loosing streak of like 40ish games. They went 9-1 this year, went undefeated in the regular season and lost because they had to play on the road in the second round which is just dumb. I'm not sure how the playoffs are ran but I think it's "Dee Dee Dee" that a team that is 9-0 has to play a 7-2 team 2 hours away. The story I got is everyone gets to play a home game which is "Dee Dee Dee", I think if a team is undefeated they have deserved the right to play at home they seed teams using their points system why not grant home field based off that same points system???? A lil off subject but that has been bothering me since November anyway.

Go Wildcats(Maxwell that is) and Go Big RED!!

Mackovicka? GO GET HIM BARNEY!!!!!!!!!!!! :thumbs

HOLY sh#t that is some impressive speed for a big man. Welcome aboard :bonez